License Plate Screws

movemint

TDI
Jetta, 99, Black
Just got a 99 Jetta and need the correct screws to mount the rear license plate. the guy I got it from had some random machine screws. I was wondering if anyone knew what the correct screws/bolts or VW part number is? my plate flaps around on the wrongs screws

KorMelisTDIJetta

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Platinum Gray Manual Jetta
I put a license plate cover and TDI club border plate on mine. My screws then became to short so I ran up to Home Depot or Lowes and just took the screws with me so you know the right threads and picked up some longer ones. Kory

movemint

TDI
Jetta, 99, Black
Any idea what size/thread count the screw you bought from home depot are? the screws I have in there now are hex head sheet metal screws! they hardly fit in the holes at all. My license plate actually fell off yesterday when I was closing my trunk! I could always go to Home Depot and guess, but I wanted some where to start. If you know whay you are using, great. if not, I just guess. thanks for your help.

peteman

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Golf TDI 504 000 km and 2003 Golf TDI 225 000 km
This may seem odd but on my 03 Golf I had no holes for the license plate. I had to drill them myself and only have the license plate attached with the top two screws. The reason this was not done at the dealer is that I didn't have a plate when I picked up the car. Drove around with an In Transit sticker until I got a plate.

peteman

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Golf TDI 504 000 km and 2003 Golf TDI 225 000 km
I'm sure that I didn't have any holes. My plate is located in a moulding in the rear bumper (Golf not Jetta). Front plates are not required in Alberta.