Caliper piston supplier

4x4toy

Veteran Member
TDI
97 Passat sedan
I want to rebuild my front calipers. Any recommendations on a parts source?
I will need boots, seals and pistons possibly. Thanks for any help on this.

TonyJetta

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'15 Jetta TDI SE / '06 Jetta TDI DSG Pkg0 / '96 Passat TDI
Or you can buy an 'oem' rebuilt caliper from autohausaz.com.

I looked at other 'german' and a few trusted tdiclub suppliers and that's the best price you will find. All others want $100 or more per caliper.

Unless you are VERY tight on $$, I wouldn't bother rebuilding calipers.

Tony

4x4toy

Veteran Member
TDI
97 Passat sedan
I prefer to rebuild my own "cores". That way I know the history of the calipers. I have seen some crappy rebuilds, welded, bent, worn areas from lost pads, rusted pistons being reused, stripped bleeders, beatup from being tumbled/mishandled, mismatched castings and holders. I am used to rebuilding the calipers on my Toyota trucks, they can get expensive to buy remanufactured. And when you are dealing with 2 piece calipers on Toyotas you almost never get matching halves let alone matching left to right. Just me being picky with my brake systems, sorry.

TonyJetta, thanks for the link. I will call them and see if they come with holders. Pictures show holders but the description says otherwise.

TonyJetta

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'15 Jetta TDI SE / '06 Jetta TDI DSG Pkg0 / '96 Passat TDI
You bet, glad to help.

Let us know where you find the individual parts.

Tony

G60ING

Top Post Dawg
TDI
No TDIs Currently, I have an R36 Corrado. I've had an ALH Corrado swap, AHU Corrado swap and 2003 TDI Jetta

4x4toy

Veteran Member
TDI
97 Passat sedan
Well I didn't need caliper pistons, they were in great shape. Rebuilt calipers, replaced pads with Mintex red and some nice German rotors from Germanautoparts.com. My brakes never felt this good, nice high and firm pedal, real good stopping power. Never did find a source for the pistons, next time I need a dealer part I will ask if they service the pistons.

4x4toy

Veteran Member
TDI
97 Passat sedan
Stopped by the dealer and picked up a side mirror glass. While I was there asked about pistons, dealer does not show a part number.