Need clutch pedal extension to the left

sdean7855

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta
I have some arthritis of the hip and knee. I have no trouble with the brake and accelerator of my 5 speed '03 TDI, but the clutch pedal is for me so far to the right (and my feet are big) that I have trouble pulling my foot up and angling it over to the right. What I am looking for is something that would clamp to the clutch pedal with a flat bar that would extend to the left.

I imagine that some young Johnnies will make fun of this seemingly silly request, but it will come to bother you too when you hit 60 or so. I'm crowding 70 now. If you have a real suggestion please post. But don't just make wisecracks, please.

creativemobility.com have a pedal extension kit that I could throw away most of just to get the piece that clamps to the pedal....but they refuse to sell me just the clamping piece, which is all I need. Thanks in advance

Windex

Top Post Dawg
TDI
05 B5V 01E FRF
Not pretty, but the majority of pedal extensions / augmentations I have seen or made have been fashioned from wood.

Wood is nice because you can easily saw / chisel what you want, then lag bolt it to the pedal in some way

Something like this, but you could extend the piece off to the left further.

BobnOH

not-a-mechanic
TDI
New Beetle 2003 manual
Can we get that pedal out as a single piece?
I would do that then have a new one fabricated from welded bent bar stock.

nayr

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Audi Q7
bolt a piece of angle iron onto it? some bolts on the old clutch pedal wont matter if your not going to use it.. then wrap it in some skateboard grip tape.

if we live long enough, at some point were going to have to make the hard choice to just give up the our keys.. a 70 year old here just killed a bunch of kids on bikes.. If I make it there it'll be one of the hardest things to do, but mebe cars will drive them selves by then.

Last edited:

sdean7855

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta
Examined the clutch pedal ....and the darned thing is *plastic* with an I section in the shaft with zig-zag stiffening ribs...with the pedal itself not particularly thick. I think it is, alas, a piece of just-good-enough minimalist Cherman design...and if I feck in anyway, it might die. I'm particularly worried that if I extend the clutch pedal to the left, I'm may introduce a twisting moment that the shaft and pedal wasn't set up for. Sigh...if it was good honest steel, I'd dive right in.

dweisel

Top Post Dawg
TDI
dweisel isn't diesel anymore!
Examined the clutch pedal ....and the darned thing is *plastic* with an I section in the shaft with zig-zag stiffening ribs...with the pedal itself not particularly thick. I think it is, alas, a piece of just-good-enough minimalist Cherman design...and if I feck in anyway, it might die. I'm particularly worried that if I extend the clutch pedal to the left, I'm may introduce a twisting moment that the shaft and pedal wasn't set up for. Sigh...if it was good honest steel, I'd dive right in.
Actually that design is pretty robust. Not sure how much side torque it would take if it were drilled,but depressing the clutch doesn't apply a lot of pressure. Fuel pedal is the same material. Something clamped on probably would be fine.

jimbote

Certified Volkswagen Nut
TDI
Tacoma 4x4 converted to TDI
if you're worried about twisting then bolt or clamp the extension as close to the fulcrum as you can get it .... in other words a long extension or even a second clutch pedal bolted or siamesed to the original ... you could cut the old pad off and sandwich the two pedals arms together... i even have a spare pedal, just pay shipping and it's yours

JDSwan87

Black Swamp Thing
TDI
2001 Jetta TDI, 5 speed Lagoon Blue Metallic(sold); 2005 Jetta TDI Wagon auto
What about putting the brake pedal from an automatic on the clutch pedal? I seem to remember someone here doing that for a similar problem. It's a wider pedal...

dweisel

Top Post Dawg
TDI
dweisel isn't diesel anymore!
if you're worried about twisting then bolt or clamp the extension as close to the fulcrum as you can get it .... in other words a long extension or even a second clutch pedal bolted or siamesed to the original ... you could cut the old pad off and sandwich the two pedals arms together... i even have a spare pedal, just pay shipping and it's yours
That's what I was just thinking of. Another pedal along side the original pedal. Just depends how much wider the OP needs to go. You could put some bolts through with sleeves over the bolts between the two pedal arms and get whatever added width you would need.

Last edited: