Indianapolis TDI'ers UNITE!

Would a GTG June 7th or 8th work for everyone?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

DCELL

Veteran Member
TDI
'01 GOLF 2DR, ‘15 Passat SEL TDI
dogdots- I think I'm finished buying body damaged cars for a bit. The last couple I've bought for fix and resell haven't worked out that great. But then again I've never bought a tdi passat!

DCELL

Veteran Member
TDI
jtgott317- If you have the proper cam tools, timing tools, and a manual it's not that bad. The counterhold and puller tools are imperative for BRM/BEW. And also the valve covers on those cars suck. They are hard to take off/ put on and they really like to leak oil. Good luck!

dogdots

Vendor
TDI
None
dogdots- I think I'm finished buying body damaged cars for a bit. The last couple I've bought for fix and resell haven't worked out that great. But then again I've never bought a tdi passat!
I really just bought it for the trans. I haven't decided for sure if I will fix it or just keep the engine and trans and crush the rest. I do have a complete quattro 5 speed manual setup for an A4 Audi, and its all bolt in for a front wheel drive A4 Audi, so if I come across a nice one needing an engine, I see a BHW powered quattro in my future :D

DCELL

Veteran Member
TDI
we have a fellow member building a TT quattro in Indy. It's going to be a sweet machine when it's done. I love diesel 4x4's!

Wingman0711

TDI
2012 Jetta tdi
Indiana tb and dpf ?

Ok guys and gals long time stalker lol, you all have helped me a ton already so thanks.

2012 2.0 tdi Jetta

Now for the not so fun part... Intermediate p0401 code, from reading on here kinda sounds like the kiss of death on this smog bs. Wondering I'd there is anybody in Indy with vagcom? Hope I said it right. Who can check dpf values... Love this car but don't wanna spend $$$ with diesel gate looming. But I want to know for sure. Wife wants to trade it in.. Told her we're stuck for now, but wouldn't mind getting an older tdi if vw buys them back.

2nd question anybody know where I can rent timing belt tools. Doing 120k service this weekend parts from idi are in tomorrow, but wanna get a head start on the belt. Don't really wanna buy the tools, looks like I can fab in 20 min, I mean come on +- 180 for a few pins and a piece of angle .

Thanks again

DCELL

Veteran Member
TDI
Roguehippie- you have b20 at the co-op pumps just a few minutes north of you, FYI. In experience, it is VERY difficult to recover the cost of the system, your time, and the additional maintenance you'll incurr with the grease car system.

hpc

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 NB TDI, 2013 GLK 250 BlueTec
Filled up the GLK-250 at the Noblesville Co-op and B5 was $0.20 MORE expensive
than B20! I can't remember B5 EVER being cheaper than B20 there (or anywhere
else).

Topped the Bug off with B20, as usual; still scratching my head over the pricing.

DCELL

Veteran Member
TDI
I noticed the same thing last week, but that's ok with me, I'll take any price break i can get on b20.

gunselman-I've seen a few nicely built cars on the roads around here over the years, but never actually met anyone local with one other than mine, and mines not really that built... I know of one in progress but it may be awhile before it's done.

gunselman

Veteran Member
TDI
03' Jetta TDi, Black
Former Indianapolis now with RC 4.5 and Race 520's. The biggest change I see is when I stomp on it and get to 100 mph is is pulling well and seems to want to go right through 100 mph.

Chris,

You are the only guy who is/was in Indy that i know of with an upgraded turbo. I recently got my VNT-17 installed with all the supporting mods and wow its a rocket ship!

BigJare

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 VW Beetle
Gunselman - I have only rode in 1 TDI with a larger turbo, 2056, one of the members from Lima. -- It's mindblowing.

All - Any interest in a MK4 garage cleanout/ yard sale? Indy North. Boost tubes - engine blocks - trunk latches - to - a set of wheels. We could even do some "set hours" swap meetin.

That's to get rid of stuff --- anyone have a dusty set of r520 nozzles (new) or a 6spd clutch in Indy?

jtgott317

TDI
06 jetta BRM dsg
So who is has the most built TDI in the Indy area?
Not me, but as much as I've spent on my MKV I sure feel like it.

I'm about to install a new colt stage 3 camshaft (as soon as I work up the balls to install it) also a new darkside developments GTB1756V turbo and new exhaust.

P.S. Don't let my wife know how much I'm spending. :D

mopower

Veteran Member
TDI
15 GSW
Hi All,

I'm moving to the Indianapolis area real soon and looking forward to getting to know some new awesome people. I'm not really expecting anything specific but I am bringing some southern hospitality and with that comes beer.

Oh, and I saw that there is Bio D available in the area. Sweet.

coachgeo

Veteran Member
TDI
99 Blue Bug.. new top end
Sorry for posting in club area. With Vagcom list/map no longer working was not sure how else to go about reaching out.

could use some help from OH or In folk. Am south of Dayton OH. Don't have garage yet, tools all scattered in storage at my new to me place.

Anyway.. found coolant leak.. which lead to realizing leaking diesel from Injection pump helped weaken the rubber coolant hose below it..... causing said coolant leak. Anyway.... thus need to redo seals in pump and replace large coolant line below. Understand the requires vagcom reset when done.

Anyone with VagCom and some tools near southern OH available for pizza beer, maybe hotel say etc. Will take a day off work (work weekends) to help out.

Have used one TDI shop before about 30 min north of me... GREAT guy VERY knowledgeable and MASSIVELY expensive. Not in the budget :eek:

So figured worth a shot to see who's out there and in for a wrenching weekend sometime soon.

Thanks in advance

DCELL

Veteran Member
TDI
I'm going to venture a guess that your hard pipe o-ring probably started the process- it is extremely hard to see but will leave streaks of residue on the middle of the bottom of your oil pan. I'd check that one first, there may be less coolant hose parts involved than you think. You should contact Paramedick in near cinci tdirepairservices@gmail.com.

coachgeo

Veteran Member
TDI
99 Blue Bug.. new top end
i'm going to venture a guess that your hard pipe o-ring probably started the process- it is extremely hard to see but will leave streaks of residue on the middle of the bottom of your oil pan. I'd check that one first, there may be less coolant hose parts involved than you think. You should contact paramedick in near cinci tdirepairservices@gmail.com.
thankyou. It was only the hose from lower radiator to engine output. Rip was right by the end of the spout on the engine. Probably weakened by diesel leaking from IP.

Now the Alternator light is on and showing issues when checked at auto parts place while still on car. For awhile it stopped but started again. Get feeling that is also diesel leaking on Alt. Might clean up and work fine once diesel leak from IP fixed or the diesel took out the Voltage Regulator.

one down two to go. Will call or email paramedic but he is actually just over 2 hours away

Last edited:

mopower

Veteran Member
TDI
15 GSW
I filled up at a loves on the way to Indy and am getting ready to fill up in the local area. I see the Energy Plus 24 in Noblesville has B5, B10, and B20 listed. Any other sweet filling stations I should know about?

DCELL

Veteran Member
TDI
Nope, just that station. No b10 anymore, but b20 is .20 cheaper than b5. They also have non-ethanol 91 octane if you're into that sort of thing...

mopower

Veteran Member
TDI
15 GSW
I got a tank full of B20 and a tank full of B5 in the CR. Lawn mowers need a fill so I will give them that 91, for $3 a gallon it better be top notch. I used to get 93 non ethanol down south but last time I filled up they only had 90.

Jogglebot

TDI
MK6 TDI
Hey, peeps. I listed my MK6 ('12 Jetta) crossbars and fork mount bike rack in the Classifieds section (Private Sale). Thought I'd drop the hint in here.

Any feedback, just DM me, or respond in there.

DCELL

Veteran Member
TDI
cant believe it's been months since anyone has posted in here.. . for all you guys that know me, I can officially announce that my tools and I are relocating. Well, I've already relocated but the tools are waiting until my new barn/shop gets insulated. That's supposed to happen soon so maybe I'll get some pics up when it's done. The new shop is "near" 236th and 31. I have a Sheridan address now, but it's Bakers Corner if any of you happen to know where that is (I know Red Dog does!). So maybe I'll actually get off my arse and have a vw shindig sometime. It's been years since anyone has had one around here.

DieselHuffer

Veteran Member
TDI
02 Jetta Wagon GLS TDI 5-spd
Yeah, its been a while hasnt it? I rarely post in here, but always read the posts when they pop up.

I know where that is. Drive by there all the time.

I relocated last year about this time, and while I might do it again, its got to be the worst thing ever.

Heck, Ive meant to post on here a bunch about stuff here and there, but never get around to it. Working on getting the inner door panel sealed properly without silicone right now. Found out I need basically a foam core butyl tape, or VWs rope seal which is about the same thing.

After that, I get to drop it off to a buddy whose fixing the rear end after someone smacked the Wagon good enough to total it. Got lucky finding all the necessary parts for not a fortune including a good hatch. Getting a couple other spots repaired while Im at it to make it look good again.