BMW stopping their diesels for 2017?

n1das

TDIClub Enthusiast, Veteran Member
TDI
2014 BMW 535xd ///M-Sport, 2012 BMW X5 Xdrive35d, former 3x TDI owner
A coworker told me today that BMW stopped their diesels for 2017. :( Not true but he was referring to the extra emissions testing creating delays in receiving their certification, thanks to VW's cheat. It's somewhat old news and not a surprise.

https://www.engadget.com/2016/07/19/thanks-to-vw-bmws-2017-diesels-will-be-delayed/

The 2016 535d and X5 35d already underwent extra testing to verify no cheating was involved....and passed. I recall the Nissan Titan XD pickup with the 5L V8 Cummins TD also underwent extra testing to verify no cheating was involved....and passed. These received their emissions certification, post dieselgate scandal. The extra testing delayed these vehicles by at least a month.

The situation seems to be creating a logistics problem for emissions certification more than anything else. BMW does not appear to be abandoning diesel but simply has to deal with longer certification lead times due to the extra testing involved.

Last edited:

jck66

Top Post Dawg
TDI
12 Passat SE / 14 BMW 535d
Just to tack on to your last paragraph, in the latest Roundel issue there is a brief news article that states much the same - BMW will continue to offer diesel vehicles in the US for the foreseeable future.

So c'mon people, lease some diesels (so I can buy one as a CPO)! :)

n1das

TDIClub Enthusiast, Veteran Member
TDI
2014 BMW 535xd ///M-Sport, 2012 BMW X5 Xdrive35d, former 3x TDI owner
Just to tack on to your last paragraph, in the latest Roundel issue there is a brief news article that states much the same - BMW will continue to offer diesel vehicles in the US for the foreseeable future.

So c'mon people, lease some diesels (so I can buy one as a CPO)! :)
That's how I bought my 2012 X5 35d (CPO). The original owner threw a perfectly good car away by trading it in (read: gave it away) as soon as the original factory warranty and free maintenance ended. Worked out good as a CPO for me. :)

If anything the dieselgate scandal has only strengthened my resolve to continue to own ONLY diesel vehicles. Absolutely no more gassers! :) My 535d and X5 35d are long term keepers and much more so now because of dieselgate.

Last edited:

PeteZ06

Veteran Member
TDI
E320 CDI
Nothing in that article states they are stopping the sales of diesels.. just that 2017 will be delayed because the EPA is taking their sweet time to test them. Big deal.

Mike in Anchorage

Veteran Member
TDI
2016 Touareg Lux, 2015 Golf Sportwagen SE, new 4 Sept 2017;2009 VW Jetta TDI Sportwagen (Ruby) sold to VW on 22 SEP 2017
I'm hoping for a nice used 328d X-drive wagon. Living in Anchorage, it would be nice to have both the heated seats and the heated steering wheel! Of course, looking at the past two winters, we may never have winter again, so that point may be moot.

turborod

Veteran Member
TDI
09 TDI Sport Wagon
Yup 328DX drive wagon Dakota red leather, sport package, Harmon Kardon, dual pano's, P-7's, 8 speed, etc nice package for SoCal.