If it weren’t for this marvelous TDI engine would you still buy a VW?

Daryl

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta wagon 2004 Silver
Yep. I could not be seen in the everyone has one, because everyone has one, Honda. There are many like me but there are more like them.

Cheers...Daryl

[This message has been edited by Daryl (edited December 25, 2000).]

Silverarrow

Veteran Member
Probably not actually I would most likely buy one of the new Citroens with the 115 bhp HDI engine or if I could afford it a common rail direct injection new C-class Mercedes.

Honda bad mouths diesel in the UK and US but they have to sell Civics and Accords in France and the Low Countries with L series direct injection diesels sourced from their old partner Rover or else they would lose a lot of business. They keep that one quiet !!

The above probably means little to North American members. However Ford has brought out a new 115 bhp diesel that is going into the new Mondeo in europe that looks much better than old rough ford diesels from before.

tdi rs

Veteran Member
TDI
mk2 16v tdi
Oh yes the 1.8t is the next best engine you can get,it might run on gas but where else can you get up to 500hp from a 1.8ltr engine and 660hp from a 2.0ltr 20v 4cylinder engine of course this is in germany.

Sacha

Veteran Member
No way, I would have an Audi A4, BMW 325i or Volvo V40/V70. And these cars has a real warranty.

------------------
Y2K Jetta GLS TDI, Atl.Blue/Beige leather, Sunroof, bug deflector, Cd changer, 5 speed, drop-in K&N air filter, descreened(all of them), H&R springs on it's way.....

Vhunter

Veteran Member
TDI
99.5 silver Jetta 5spd TDI
Probably not. A used Benz or something else that would burn diesel fuel would probably be what I would have to have hunted down.

The MPG's and performance are what got me. Dealer and service center would not keep me if not for TDI.

chance

Veteran Member
i had a 92 fox,92 jetta, 95 jetta. my 98 jetta is my first diesel. i love it after 3 years. i tried to sell it due to economic reasons but didn't or couldn't. so i plan to keep it for a long time. my daughter wants to drive it. but i guess unless for another diesel this could be my last vw. i won't buy a gasser.

Dante

Veteran Member
TDI
Silver 2000 Golf GLS TDI
Probably not. The standard features, fit and finish of my Golf impresses the heck out of me compared to all the other commuters I considered, but it would have been much harder for me to rationalize the price difference without the TDI powerplant.

Golf Girl

Veteran Member
TDI
Golf, 2000, satin silver
I think so. VW brought me to a completely different view on cars...German ones. I always had Chevy's and thought German ones were for the rich. It's my first and I'm not rich.

------------------
Jenni
2000 Golf GLS TDI, Putt Putt, my little sleeper
debadged, 2001 crystal clear side indicators, GTI tails, Upsolute chip, K&N, descreened... coming soon tint

Ron 33

Veteran Member
TDI
Y2K Jetta GLS Atlantic Blue, Manual
Good Question?
The reason we started looking at the VW TDI was because of the fuel mileage and power. This little car rides and drives like a much larger vehicle, ie(comfortable), yet delivers almost 50 MPG without costing an arm and a leg. We would have to find a quality built vehicle that meets those same standards. Whatever it may be.
Could it be a VW, maybe?

------------------
Y2K Jetta GLS TDI 5 Spd Atlantic Blue
Pure Stock except for the chipped windshield.

paschalini

Veteran Member
Maybe. We narrowed down our choice of a new vehicle to the Nissan Sentra and the TDI. The Sentra was more fun to drive than a Echo, Corolla, Civic, and Protege, but not as much fun as a VW. The quality and finish seemed a tad better in the VW. Mileage a lot better in the TDI.

If the TDI had not been available, the (appx) $3000 difference between a gasser VW and the Sentra might have swung our decision to the Sentra. The mpg's are about the same between the two, and we bought the car as a long distance commuter. You can go a lot of miles on $3000.

------------------
2000 5spd Atlantic Blue Jetta

Beowulf

Veteran Member
TDI
A3 Jetta, 1998, Green
I definitely would have bought a VW.

It's been something of a longing of mine for quite some time to get into a VW. Now that I am, it's all I had hoped it would be.

I'm still working on getting my second VW. This one is going to be the project car...well, truck. I'm looking for a Rabbit Pickup (aka Caddy).

------------------
The TDI Owners' Premium Diesel Fueling Station List:
<A HREF="http://www.geocities.com/svenfoucault.geo/tdi/premdiesel.html" TARGET=_blank>
http://www.geocities.com/svenfoucault.geo/tdi/premdiesel.html</A>

BeetleGo

TDIClub Enthusiast, Pre-Forum Veteran Member
TDI
5-door, 5-speed Golf GLS replaced BeetleGo.
Nope.

A light pressure turbo Saab 9000 CS 5-sp with Trionic engine management in Citrin Beige had my name written all over it...

------------------
BeetleGo, "whoa!"
White 1998 NB 5-sp
Pretty much bone stock
Mud Flaps/Stone Guards/winter/fogs
------------------
"You said this was a DIESEL?!"

Robert P

I would not have bought a VW if it were not for the TDI engine. The 1.8T still leaves the Jetta as expensive as a Pontiac Grand Prix GT with a 3.8 L V6 that nearly matched the 1.8's fuel efficiency on the highway. Besides the Grand Prix would have been available with 0.9% financing. Really a no brainer other than the excellent TDI Engine and the heated seats

Silver TDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Silver Arrow, Wet Okole GLS Automatic
Nope. I would still have my fully loaded 1999 Dodge Dakota Club Cab V8 truck and would have never given it up.

VW has not been good to me in the service department or the customer satisfaction department.

Dodge never did me wrong.

------------------
2000 Jetta TDI Auto - Silver Arrow/Black Cloth (Hers)
2000 Jetta TDI Manual - Bright Green/Tan Cloth (His) <bajafleg>
1969 Baja Beetle - Yellow/Black
http://www.jettatdi.8m.com
http://www.bajabug.8m.com

cars wanted

Veteran Member
TDI
Golf GLS-TDI, 2000, white/beige
I'm not sure. I just cannot imagine buying a gasoline-engined car. I did have a H*nd@ Civic Vx for 2 years, but it felt inferior to even my 1982 diesel Rabbit, which in turn was FAR superior overall to my 1974 VW Dasher gasser.

Turbo Steve

Top Post Dawg
Instead of a TDI, I would have loved to got Volvo's transversely mounted straight 6-cylinder with twin Garrett turbo's in their S-80 Sedan.

Yes, a straight six-cylinder will fit in a front wheel drive car.

carl

No, I now regret my TDI purchase and wish I had held out for the ruby slippers.

Seriously, my first car was a 71 superbeetle and I loved it. But that one I could fix myself with rusty visegrips and a butter knife. Now with all the whatsis gizmos I would go first for reliability, which means Honda.

But they discontinued the Civic hatchback this year, and I'm addicted to hatchbacks. Since all those years of graduate school have to pay off in some sort of pointlessly snooty 'elevation' of taste and distinction (no Fords for us edumacated folk), the Golf then is pretty much it, with the TDI sweetening the deal.

So far so good! Now if only they could name it something less incredibly stupid...

------------------
Hey, what you lookin' at?

Powder Hound

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'00 Golf 4dr White 5sp, '02 Jettachero 5sp, Wife's '03 NB Platinum Gray auto(!)
RobertP wrote my post verbatim except for the 'and heated seats' on the end!

------------------
"I love the smell of [burning diesel] in the morning. It smells like ... victory!"

NewbieBaby

Veteran Member
Nissan Sentra SE otherwise. Unless VW comes up with a quiet gas engine with good performance that can run on regualar.

lifer

Veteran Member
Not a chance! I would have bought a toyota camry. The camry is the most trouble free car i have ever owned. I bought the VW only because of the TDI engine.IT is yet to be seen if it will stack up to the camry.

Commander-T

TDI
Passat, 1996, Emerald Green
Oh yeah.

This is my 5th VW driver.

Actually, probably would now make the leap to Audi S4.

------------------
Commander-T(DI)
'96 Emerald Green Passat
K&N Filter, descreened and desnorkled
Upsolute Chip
109 Relay Replacement
Soon to have Boges, Nuespeed springs and rear bar
Soon to have Techtronics 2.5" Cat back exhaust

Prior diesel was a 50hp Tornado (oximoron) Red '89 Jetta with cool VW aftermarket wheels...

Luis

Veteran Member
My last car was a 2.0L gas Jetta 99, now I own a y2k NB TDI, next car Passat TDI, probably in two more years...

My very first car was an '85 Chevy Celebrity (piece of crap), then an 84' Mustang Hatchback (Still Crappy), followed by an '88 Chrysler Lebaron GTC (185 HP 2.2 Turbo) (I LIKED this car, but VERY faulty wire harnesses), then came a '91 Cutlass Formula ES (nice car, but crappy), finally I got to put my hands on a VW...the 99 Jetta and sincerly think these VW's are by FAR much better than GM, FORD and Chrysler. At home, my folks have always owned american branded cars and I laugh at their mishaps...My sister's y2k Neon just wouldn't start a few months ago...had to be towed to the stealership....my dad's former truck, a Suburban, liked to die on every long trip we did....my mom's Concorde has co$ted more on tranny problems than my collegue education, let alone being stuck twice on a back road due to fuel inj pump problems...(twice within a year's time lapse)...need more reasons?

Also, believe it or not, in Mexico, service costs are much more cheaper for VW than for any other brand. A mayor tune-up would go for less than 100 bucks on a gas VW at the stealership, while for the Neon, my sis just paid 250 bucks...go figure...

VW rocks.

Dana Hanchett

Veteran Member
TDI
No TDI, No VW. The NB is a great car for me with my career. Driving 30-35K miles per year made the TDI the only option. Great car and I really love that TDI. Thanks for asking.

think diesel

Veteran Member
This is the first Volkswagen I have owned. Having owned this one for about a year--- I believe I would buy another, even if it were gas-powered, though that would be a great disappointment.

The TDI engine is without a doubt THE thing that got me into a Volkswagen in the first place.

I have been completely satisfied for the most part. I have not had a single significant problem with the car in one year and 19,000 miles. That is the first new car I have owned that I can say that for. The excellent TDI engine continues to exceed the EPA mileage estimates 60-75% of the time no matter how I drive it and I have experienced NONE of the dealer problems others have reported (I have a *good* dealership)

If it were not for the TDI engine at the time I was ready to buy this car, there is a good chance I would have bought a Subaru or a Volvo V40, if it was offered with a 5 speed manual (will it ever?!?! ***?)

At this point, I can say with 90% certainty that I would in fact buy a Volkswagen again, even if it were gas powered. The only way I wouldn't is if I could find something of approximately equal cost, that offered equal or better quality, ergonomics and fuel economy. I don't see anything on the market right now that fits that bill.

If I were to choose any Volkswagen available (in America) it would be the EuroVan MV--- I think maybe one of the most practical vehicles ever. If they offered one with a TDI engine in this country I would sell my left nut to buy one!
But I would even be happy with the gas version I think (dare I say it?)

That thing is the bomb! But I can't realistically afford one.

If I was buying a VW today with my current budget and there was no TDI--- I'd probably hold out for a 1.8T Jetta variant or a GTI 1.8T

Praise be to Jah, that there is a TDI though. I am thankful every day that I turn the key and hear that magical purr. There is nothing like it. Figuratively...and literally if you live in North America!

------------------
1999 New Jetta GL TDI
Atlantic Blue/Gray studio

Mein auto wurde von den stolzen arbeitern der Fabrik Volkswagen in Puebla, Mexiko aufgebaut.