Few odd problems 2013 JSW/GSW

iam_immigrant

TDI
2013 Golf Wagon DSG
Hey All, got a few odd ball issues. Searched but didn't really find any answers.

Car is 2013 GSW w/ DSG post Dieselgate fix with 220K km.
New battery installed ~6 months ago. Oil and DSG fluid changes are up to date.
Car was purchased new from dealer. Unfortunately oe and extended warranty are over.

Issue 1: has happened 3x in last 12 months.
Cranks and starts but sputters and immediately dies, dash shows battery icon but lights/radio/dashcam (hardwired)/cig lighter works.

If I press the gas pedal before it dies and rev engine a few times up to 2k-3k it stays on. Once this 'process' is done I won't have this issue for a few months.

Could this be a bad alternator?

Issue 2: happened 1x about 2 weeks ago.
Driving on highway about 130km/h when suddenly the MFD shows message "Brake Error" and I can feel the car apply the brakes for a split second then release.

Has this happened to anyone else? What could this be?

Issue 3: Noticed in past 3 months, occurs only at highway speeds (or at least that's when I can feel it) and it comes and goes. Every time I have noticed this feeling is on dry pavement.
It is the same feeling as when a car slows down when hydroplaning but it is very short.

Has anyone else experienced this?

Sorry for the vague descriptions. Any help is appreciated.

JSWTDI09

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 JSW TDI (gone but not forgotten)
The first thing to do is to find out what your car knows. Your car knows more than either you or I about what might have caused your symptoms. You need to find someone with a VW specific scan tool (like VCDS) and scan for stored fault codes. This will give us a starting point to begin troubleshooting. I am certain that there are people in the GTA who have VCDS and would be willing to scan your car.

Have Fun!

Don

ksing44

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Golf TDI
No. 1 sounds like it could be the intercooler freezing issue, i.e., driving in freezing temps, parking in temperature that allows melting, then the car ingests water at startup.

No. 3 sounds like it could be the hill crest flutter, hick-up, or stutter, that is often reported for these cars. It's said to be caused by defueling controlled by the ECM to save fuel. I notice it most in 3rd gear with low throttle. It happens without fail at the same place during my commute, a place with a slight downhill when using low throttle. I can eliminate the feeling with more fuel, but then I'm going way too fast.

I have no idea about No. 2

prsa01

Veteran Member
TDI
14 jsw 6m, 96 B4v, miss my a4 :(
Agree with #1 possibly being icing. Read sticky in this section.

Definitely get it scanned w/vcds.

No 2 sounds like it could be a wheel speed sensor or related wiring. Possibly sticking brake.

Last edited:

PRY4SNO

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Touareg Execline
Also agree on #1 being intercooler icing. Pop off the intake hose and see what kind of fluid accumulation you have. Might want to get the winter front (or cardboard) until you can either upgrade to the cold weather fix or an S3 intercooler.

And the above replies for #2&3 sound plausible. Would definitely scan for codes and go from there.

ToBiN

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Sportwagen TDI/M6; 2006 Dodge 3500 Cummins/M6 Mega Cab; 2011 Jetta TDI/M6 (sold)
dont know about #1 or #3, but had an Audi A4 Avant that did #2.

would be travelling 55mph+, the ABS light would flicker quickly and then hard brake on the passenger front jerking the car hard right. This happened a number of times and was very dangerous.

I troubleshot this and exhausted the internet searches for a fix. No one could tell us what was going on or why it was doing this. I did find someone up in Oregon with the same issue on their A4. Neither of us ever found a fix. Instead we traded the car for $1000 and recommended crushing it to the dealership.

Legolas337

TDI
2011 sportwagen tdi
Have them check the camshaft position sensor. Mine is having hot start issues and symptoms like yours but no check engine light. Stopped in and they got an intermittent fault code for that and said it would be covered under warranty. Something to check

iam_immigrant

TDI
2013 Golf Wagon DSG
Thank you all for the help!!! Will definitely try to find someone local with VCDS to scan as unfortunately I'm out of the factory and extended warranty periods.

I was just worried that the car was gonna explode as I wanna drive this thing to the ground.

03GolfTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
'12 JSW DSG and '11 JSW DSG
No. 3 sounds like it could be the hill crest flutter, hick-up, or stutter, that is often reported for these cars. It's said to be caused by defueling controlled by the ECM to save fuel. I notice it most in 3rd gear with low throttle. It happens without fail at the same place during my commute, a place with a slight downhill when using low throttle. I can eliminate the feeling with more fuel, but then I'm going way too fast.
I have no idea about No. 2
You have just "resolved" a very similar issue I am having to the OP on #3. The description of the hydroplaning slowdown is exactly how it feels. Also kind of feels like a gasser misfiring.

Same as you its same exact stretch of road on my way home commute where it is a very slight downhill and it only requires basically the weight of my foot on the accelerator to maintain the typical 40-45MPH speed.