Aspherical Split Mirrors?

KrashDH

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2002 Golf
I was wondering if anyone has experience with the aspherical split mirrors for our MKIV's.

I'm not looking for comments on the proper way to adjust my mirrors, I know how to use all of them and adjust them properly.

The issue for me is backing into spots. Without really sitting up (then my head hits in the ceiling anyway) there's no way to really see the rear wheel with the OEM glass. It would be nice to be able to see the lines when backing up without having to run the mirror motors and angle them both down.

I'm wondering if these mirrors have any convex shape to them, more importantly the larger section of the split. If they don't and are flat like OEM, they won't really do me any good as I really don't currently have an issue with blind spots. These will be an added bonus for that yes, but if I'm going to spend money to replace the OEM I'd really like to have the range of view to see the lines for backing up situations, which I do close to 100% of the time.

Thanks in advance, if they do end up having some convex curvature, I'll likely jump on them.

Nero Morg

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2014 A6 TDI, 2001 Jetta TDI, 2014 Passat TDI
I've had a set for about a year. They take a bit to get used to, but they're awesome. Would definitely recommend, especially if you back into parking spots all the time.

Nero Morg

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2014 A6 TDI, 2001 Jetta TDI, 2014 Passat TDI
FYI, Cascade German sells them, both OEM and aftermarket versions. I have an OEM left, and an aftermarket right, can't tell the difference. Don't know if it's something they list on their website, but they have an ebay page, and you can order over the phone.

sriracha

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Jetta Wagon 5mt, 1982 Rabbit truck (gas)
I have aspherical blindspot mirrors on my wagon. They really improved the horizontal view but not much vertical improvement. I still angle my mirror down when parallel parking. One of mine was recently cracked in a parking lot. I purchased a replacement. I think they are worth purchasing (again).

KrashDH

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2002 Golf
I have aspherical blindspot mirrors on my wagon. They really improved the horizontal view but not much vertical improvement. I still angle my mirror down when parallel parking. One of mine was recently cracked in a parking lot. I purchased a replacement. I think they are worth purchasing (again).
I guess horizontal view would be nice, but it would only be an additional benefit. Really would like to improve the vertical view to see the tires when parking in reverse. Hmmm.

KrashDH

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2002 Golf
FYI, Cascade German sells them, both OEM and aftermarket versions. I have an OEM left, and an aftermarket right, can't tell the difference. Don't know if it's something they list on their website, but they have an ebay page, and you can order over the phone.
Yeah I saw that, I buy a lot from them because they are close. But with no real vertical benefit, not sure I want to spend the money on them since that's really what I need

sriracha

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Jetta Wagon 5mt, 1982 Rabbit truck (gas)
The aspherical mirrors have a single radius convex curve, starting at the visible line and curving to the ends. Inside of the line, they are flat.

KrashDH

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2002 Golf
The aspherical mirrors have a single radius convex curve, starting at the visible line and curving to the ends. Inside of the line, they are flat.
Dang I guess that answers my question on those then.

Does anyone know of a convex mirror that allows site line down to the wheels?

Andyinchville1

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI wagon, 5 sp, 226K miles
Hi

A friend of mine has that type of split mirror on his car but truthfully I found that a large round convex spot mirror like those found in Auto Zone Etc works better for my purposes....

I can seemingly see a lot more with that then I can with the split mirror.

About the only Advantage I could see with the split near that he had was the fact that it was tinted blue to reduce glare at night...

I was thinking of a way to put some tinting on my side view mirrors to recluse glare at night...

Admittedly after I hit a deer my driver side flat glass flew out and disappeared ...

I simply stuck one of the large round convex mirrors on it and called it good ... it passed state inspection and to be perfectly honest the majority of the glare actually came from the flat piece of glass rather than the convex.

I'm thinking about going with either a 5-panel wink mirror inside or a couple Factory type mirrors to give me total coverage of everything outside the car and simply using small side you convex mirrors for legality purposes and reduce aerodynamic losses...

Of course if I went with the wink panel I would have to devise a flip down tinted shade to cut glare at night and that's what's causing me to lean towards two factory type mirrors with day-night settings.

If you get the split mirrors let us know what you think of them.

Andrew

Ps - a large round convex mirror lets you see everything all the way down to the ground ... backing and parking within a space is made Child's Play

KrashDH

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2002 Golf
Hi

A friend of mine has that type of split mirror on his car but truthfully I found that a large round convex spot mirror like those found in Auto Zone Etc works better for my purposes....

I can seemingly see a lot more with that then I can with the split mirror.

About the only Advantage I could see with the split near that he had was the fact that it was tinted blue to reduce glare at night...

I was thinking of a way to put some tinting on my side view mirrors to recluse glare at night...

Admittedly after I hit a deer my driver side flat glass flew out and disappeared ...

I simply stuck one of the large round convex mirrors on it and called it good ... it passed state inspection and to be perfectly honest the majority of the glare actually came from the flat piece of glass rather than the convex.

I'm thinking about going with either a 5-panel wink mirror inside or a couple Factory type mirrors to give me total coverage of everything outside the car and simply using small side you convex mirrors for legality purposes and reduce aerodynamic losses...

Of course if I went with the wink panel I would have to devise a flip down tinted shade to cut glare at night and that's what's causing me to lean towards two factory type mirrors with day-night settings.

If you get the split mirrors let us know what you think of them.

Andrew

Ps - a large round convex mirror lets you see everything all the way down to the ground ... backing and parking within a space is made Child's Play
Thanks for the info!
My OEM mirrors have the blue tint so I don't need that. I may try the stick on convex ones for now, I just don't want to lose too much visibility

Andyinchville1

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI wagon, 5 sp, 226K miles
Thanks for the info!
My OEM mirrors have the blue tint so I don't need that. I may try the stick on convex ones for now, I just don't want to lose too much visibility
My eyes aren't the best and convex works fine .... if you get the convex ones get the bigger ones and personally I put the convicts towards the outside edge of the mirror not on the inside.... I don't know if I'm extra paranoid or not but I also put a bead of silicone around the adhesive tape just to make sure it sticks a little better and more permanently too ...

Andrew

jokila

Vendor
TDI
2003 Jetta GLS, Manual
I have had mine for at least 6 years. Work great. Tinted for glare. Heats up great.

I would recommend.

KrashDH

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2002 Golf
Andrew[/QUOTE]
I have had mine for at least 6 years. Work great. Tinted for glare. Heats up great.

I would recommend.
I'm sure they "work" great as an increased blind spot visibility (ie wider) for those that like to adjust their mirrors so they can see the body line of their car, but that isn't what I want them for. That would be a bonus. If they don't do anything for the visibility to the rear tire from a normal driving position then it's a waste of money for me. I don't have visibility issues with blind spots how I have my OEM mirrors set up (I can't even see the body of my vehicle when I'm sitting in a normal driving position). I just am looking for something to bring that tire into view for backing up without having to crank my head up or out the window, or tilt both mirrors every time. I thought these aspherical would convex a bit at the bottom edges to allow this but I wasn't sure. Sounds like they don't do this though.