Common high mileage concerns

maddog2020

TDI
2014 JSW TDi
I apologize if this is already asked and answered, but I couldn't find what I was looking for.

I'm considering buying a 2011-2012 Golf TDI for my daughter. She is coming off a terrible experience with a Mini Cooper S that died in just about every way imaginable - including the final death of 3 very low compression cylinders. As we look at 8-10 year old Golf TDIs with 100-150k miles on the clock, mostly the 6AM, what common issues should we be worried about.

I've read a little about the HPFP failures, I guess I should look for a car that has already had that replaced. Also some things about the Diesel Particulate Filter system. Is there anything else that could get expensive if it fails, and is a fairly common failure point?

Thanks,

Ian

Twglace

TDI
2013 Jetta SportWagen
I apologize if this is already asked and answered, but I couldn't find what I was looking for.

I'm considering buying a 2011-2012 Golf TDI for my daughter. She is coming off a terrible experience with a Mini Cooper S that died in just about every way imaginable - including the final death of 3 very low compression cylinders. As we look at 8-10 year old Golf TDIs with 100-150k miles on the clock, mostly the 6AM, what common issues should we be worried about.

I've read a little about the HPFP failures, I guess I should look for a car that has already had that replaced. Also some things about the Diesel Particulate Filter system. Is there anything else that could get expensive if it fails, and is a fairly common failure point?

Thanks,

Ian

The good thing is the whole emissions system should be still covered under diesel Gate warranty... I’m a prefect example I purchased my car about 6 weeks ago & my engine light came on long story short I’m getting a new DPR and EGR free of charge under warranty. You should be able to contact VW with the vin of the car you are interested in and they will tell you if the warranty is valid and for how long.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Twglace

TDI
2013 Jetta SportWagen
Fuel injectors and everything are covered under that same warranty just research it.

maddog2020

TDI
2014 JSW TDi
Thanks all, helpful stuff. Anything beyond the emissions system to be concerned about for long term (hoping to get well over 200k miles) reliability?

Twglace

TDI
2013 Jetta SportWagen
Thanks all, helpful stuff. Anything beyond the emissions system to be concerned about for long term (hoping to get well over 200k miles) reliability?

Just make sure you go and see it for a cold start... Check the coolant for funk and make sure the oil cap doesn’t have moisture. See if the timing belt/ water pump has been done... if not VW recommends doing it at 130k and the cheapest I’ve found is around 1100$ for the job.

Twglace

TDI
2013 Jetta SportWagen

O and there is a VW emission modification sticker on the hood make sure it hasn’t been too long (the warranty we are speaking of starts after the modification has been done by VW)

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
These cars are pretty robust. Dual mass flywheels can fail at around 200K miles (manual or automatic, they both have them,) and some people have reported issues with water pumps leaking within the timing belt service interval. As an aside, if you're looking at a car with over 120K miles on it I'd ask for receipts for the timing belt service to make sure it was done and that all relevant parts were replaced. If the seller can't prove the service was completed you should plan on doing it shortly after purchase, and keep in mind having a shop do it will cost you $1,000 - $1,500. Negotiate accordingly.

turbobrick240

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2011 vw golf tdi(gone to greener pastures), 2001 ford f250 powerstroke
I've read a little about the HPFP failures, I guess I should look for a car that has already had that replaced.
I would actually avoid a car that had the hpfp replaced. Repeat failures are much more common once it's happened. But the hpfp failures are infrequent enough that it's unlikely you'll run into any that have had a failure. I think they are great cars, but if your daughter isn't great about maintaining her cars, she'd probably be better served by a Honda Civic , Corolla etc.

Twglace

TDI
2013 Jetta SportWagen
I would actually avoid a car that had the hpfp replaced. Repeat failures are much more common once it's happened. But the hpfp failures are infrequent enough that it's unlikely you'll run into any that have had a failure. I think they are great cars, but if your daughter isn't great about maintaining her cars, she'd probably be better served by a Honda Civic , Corolla etc.

True that to the second part! Tdi’s will treat you well... you just need to return the favor.(this is for most German diesel IMO)

Turbobrick that is very interesting about the HPFP are more prone to have repeat failures after being replaced once. What are your finding on this? I’m intrigued lol

-:vw:-

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 SportWagen
True that to the second part! Tdi’s will treat you well... you just need to return the favor.(this is for most German diesel IMO)

Turbobrick that is very interesting about the HPFP are more prone to have repeat failures after being replaced once. What are your finding on this? I’m intrigued lol

No return flow filtration and a crap or quick and dirty cleanup job are the likely culprits i.e. not all replacing all effected components and or flushing the system.

Twglace

TDI
2013 Jetta SportWagen
No return flow filtration and a crap or quick and dirty cleanup job are the likely culprits i.e. not all replacing all effected components and or flushing the system.

Ah ok I gotcha do they make any filter kits to put inline with HPFP? And FYI stuff ? Lol

JELLOWSUBMARINE

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Jetta Sportwagen, 6M, red/tan, navi, pano, 83 5m diesel pickup, 82 p/u trailer,.04 5.5 TDI Passat wagon (gone), 80,81,82 diesel p/u (gone), 80,82 sportruck (gone), 59 passthru bus (long gone), 79&87 westy (gone), 57 baja bug (long gone), 73 914
O and there is a VW emission modification sticker on the hood make sure it hasn’t been too long (the warranty we are speaking of starts after the modification has been done by VW)

Yes, the older models warrenty expires accordingly. Plus a CPO has additional beneficial coverage.

IMO These TDIs do need more "aware" ownership than the past non DPF TDIs. A common thread Ive noticed on repeat HPFP failures is a fungus issue. Long sit awaiting the fix? Bad fuel? My 225k mile b5.5 had original fp. Good fuel, occasional fungicide and lubricity additive never an issue.

Last edited:

Twglace

TDI
2013 Jetta SportWagen
IMO These TDIs do need more "aware" ownership than the past non DPF TDIs. A common thread Ive noticed on repeat HPFP failures is a fungus issue. Long sit awaiting the fix? Bad fuel? My 225k mile b5.5 had original fp. Good fuel, occasional fungicide and lubricity additive never an issue.

Thanks for that ! What fungicide would you recommend? I keep up with lubricity additives but never the fungicide.

JELLOWSUBMARINE

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Jetta Sportwagen, 6M, red/tan, navi, pano, 83 5m diesel pickup, 82 p/u trailer,.04 5.5 TDI Passat wagon (gone), 80,81,82 diesel p/u (gone), 80,82 sportruck (gone), 59 passthru bus (long gone), 79&87 westy (gone), 57 baja bug (long gone), 73 914
Thanks for that ! What fungicide would you recommend? I keep up with lubricity additives but never the fungicide.

I just kind of looked over and bought from ebay. I did it on my 2011 purchase as a precaution

-:vw:-

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 SportWagen

I do 8oz. of Power Service Diesel Kleen and then 4oz. of Power Service Clear-Diesel mixed into 12oz. HEET bottles.

However now that I look at Power Service's website I see that they have a Bio Kleen product strictly for fungus that I've not seen in stores before.

Anyone out there used it?

TDI
2012 JSW
I do 8oz. of Power Service Diesel Kleen and then 4oz. of Power Service Clear-Diesel mixed into 12oz. HEET bottles.
However now that I look at Power Service's website I see that they have a Bio Kleen product strictly for fungus that I've not seen in stores before.
Anyone out there used it?

I’ve used it, once when I first purchased and once here recently. We keep it on the shelf at O’Reilly Auto Parts, right next to the other Power Service products. It doesn’t take much for it to be effective either.

Last edited:

Twglace

TDI
2013 Jetta SportWagen
I’ve used it, once when I first purchased and once here recently. We keep it on the shelf at O’Reilly Auto Parts, right next to the other Power Service products. It doesn’t take much for it to be effective either.

Yeah I’ve seen it at a few stores as well.. I’ll have to pick a bottle

BarnyardsTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Golf w/DSG, Malone Stage 2 (all emissions intact), HID's, Sunroof, Dynaudio, NAV
2010 Golf TDI DSG here. Purchased June 2010 with 57 miles. Now has 200,750 miles. Factory HPFP. No metal shavings in fuel filter canister at all. ~4oz to 8oz Powerservice each fill up for the lifetime of the car @ mostly Chevron and Exxon high turnover stations. I do all my own maintenance except timing belt (almost ready for #2).

Emissions fix performed about 150,000 miles. DPF (cracked) and intake manifold (intake flap actuator, now dieselgeek fixed) replaced under extended emissions fix warranty approve 155,000 miles. Malone stage II ECU and DSG tune intalled about 160,000 miles. Car runs flawlessly.

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
Impressive. Especially considering your year (2010) is one of the years that seems to be hardest hit.
Folks went round and round on this issue pre-dieselgate. The best summary I came up with is no one really knows: (a) how many HPFPs have failed, as dealers are prone to incorrect diagnoses; (b) how many failures were because of mis-fueling (common dealer approach to denying warranty coverage); and (c) the extent to which fuel quality (not gasoline) was causing failures. Regarding the third point, it's commonly accepted that Canadian Diesel is better than American fuel, and the incidence of HPFP failures in Canada is very, very low.

Long story short, I concluded that HPFPs are not something to worry about. I think we've sold one replacement in the past 10 years. One. And the gurus we work with haven't replaced any. If they're failing at any significant rate you'd think they'd be failing outside of warranty, but apparently not. Or at least not often.

WisconKev

TDI
2011 Jetta TDI
I am on my third, YES THIRD, particulate filter!!! The first two were under warranty but I am paying half of this one $1000. I am totally disgusted with this 2011 Jetta TDI with 150k on it. All my previous ones had over 300K miles before I sold them and bought another. It is my 4th Jetta Diesel but no more. I have loved every one of them until this one. If the car is out of warranty, the price of the filter is $2400. The dealer, who has done all my maintenance split the cost since they quote, "have rarely replaced" one. I have called a couple of VW 'specialty' shops I have done business with and they have no clue why this car is losing particulate filters.

akjdouglass

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Jetta w/premium (sold to VW); 2014 Jetta Value Edition; 2015 Jetta SEL; 2003 Jetta GL
I am on my third, YES THIRD, particulate filter!!! The first two were under warranty but I am paying half of this one $1000. I am totally disgusted with this 2011 Jetta TDI with 150k on it. All my previous ones had over 300K miles before I sold them and bought another. It is my 4th Jetta Diesel but no more. I have loved every one of them until this one. If the car is out of warranty, the price of the filter is $2400. The dealer, who has done all my maintenance split the cost since they quote, "have rarely replaced" one. I have called a couple of VW 'specialty' shops I have done business with and they have no clue why this car is losing particulate filters.
For little more than half the price you were quoted, the DPF can become a non-issue. Other than that, the best thing you can do to prevent emissions component failures is to closely monitor EGTs and never interrupt a regen.

VW obviously knew there would be issues when they installed the cheat software. The fix/extended warranty cannot make these engines get anywhere close to the longevity and reliability of the pre-emission diesels.

WisconKev

TDI
2011 Jetta TDI
For little more than half the price you were quoted, the DPF can become a non-issue. Other than that, the best thing you can do to prevent emissions component failures is to closely monitor EGTs and never interrupt a regen.

VW obviously knew there would be issues when they installed the cheat software. The fix/extended warranty cannot make these engines get anywhere close to the longevity and reliability of the pre-emission diesels.

I don't understand the " the DPF can become a non-issue" comment. Can you explain?