Fuel additives

asgoodasdead

TDI
2011 Jettta Sportwagen TDI
it depends on the seafoam i think. the kind in the bottle you pour into your gas tank and crank case says its safe for diesels. the kind you spray into your intake manifold says right on the bottle its not safe for diesels

ToBiN

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Sportwagen TDI/M6; 2006 Dodge 3500 Cummins/M6 Mega Cab; 2011 Jetta TDI/M6 (sold)
Thanks. So just a thought for poster ToBiN to perhaps reconsider using Seafoam in a TDI as any amount of alcohol is not recommended (do your own search of course to verify).

I presume if you want a strong and safe way to clean/cleanse the fuel system of your TDI you may use this one very occasionally:

https://www.bgprod.com/catalog/diesel-fuel-system/bg-245-diesel-premium-fuel-system-cleaner/

There are other similar products with good reputation also from LiquiMoly, Stanadyne, etc.
I like BG products. I use DOC (Diesel) and MOA (gas) in all my oil changes. I was actually using MOA in my 2011 Jetta TDI before learning of DOC.
I will look at my Seafoam bottles I have at the house and note the alcohol content. I hadn't even considered looking into that until you asked and like someone else said, it says on the bottle safe for cleaning diesel injectors too.
Also, I have witnessed seafoam actually cleansing engines and components. Everything from sticky lifters and ticking rockers to smoothing out idles and saving spider injectors (1996 - 1998 Chevy gas engine issues; $300 part) from clogging. And Seafoam is much more affordable for regular maintenance than BG.

Fixmy59bug

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Passat TDI SE
it depends on the seafoam i think. the kind in the bottle you pour into your gas tank and crank case says its safe for diesels. the kind you spray into your intake manifold says right on the bottle its not safe for diesels
Well, the sea foam I provided the MSDS sheet for is the one you pour in the crankcase or into the fuel tank that claims to be safe for diesels.

Andyinchville1

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI wagon, 5 sp, 226K miles
HI,

I think nothing is specifically recommended BUT I run
PS (gray bottle) and TC3 2 stroke oil in each tank of fuel.

My recent 11 mm pump / injectors (installed around 315K miles ) , have always had the above added to the fuel ....as of today I am at 331K miles ....I'll be curious to see if this pump lasts longer than the first one because of it .... only 299,000 more miles to go !

Andrew

PS - in all fairness the stock pump was resealed once but I cant recall the exact time / mileage (I'll have to check my records).

tikal

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Passat Wagon (chainless + 5 MT + GDE tune)
I like BG products. I use DOC (Diesel) and MOA (gas) in all my oil changes. I was actually using MOA in my 2011 Jetta TDI before learning of DOC.
I will look at my Seafoam bottles I have at the house and note the alcohol content. I hadn't even considered looking into that until you asked and like someone else said, it says on the bottle safe for cleaning diesel injectors too.
Also, I have witnessed seafoam actually cleansing engines and components. Everything from sticky lifters and ticking rockers to smoothing out idles and saving spider injectors (1996 - 1998 Chevy gas engine issues; $300 part) from clogging. And Seafoam is much more affordable for regular maintenance than BG.
Fair enough. I presume if you use it occasionally it will be ok.

What are the benefits of DOC that you have observed in your TDI?