what is considered high mileage for ALH?

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
Because we are men and if it isn't broke we have to mess with it. :D
If you spoke to as many people as I who've "improved" their TDIs only to have to correct their work, you might think differently. ;)

There are things that make these cars better, and none of my TDIs are bone stock. The oil pump mod probably can't hurt, but I doubt you'll see any measurable improvement in longevity, either.

Rrusse11

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Golf, 5spd; 05 Jeep CRD
"And I replaced the oil pump chain and tensioner in my Wagon at 300K miles. From the looks of the one that came out, it was a waste of money." IBW

Had a conversation with my guru this morning on this while we collectively struggled with getting my alternator out to replace the pulley. After mine was done they had to do the same to a 2.5 gasser beetle convertible,,,, sheesh, lots of extra chassis bracing for the convertibles.

"What for?" was his response. "Just let the engine warm up before you
start working it hard."

He also made some comments on 5w 40 oil, it sticks to the lower bearings when shut off, 5w-30, not so much. Rebuilding various motors at 300k+
he could tell which motors used which oil, and whether or not they were regularly maintained.

WildChild80

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Jetta TDI 2000 Jetta TDI 2000 New Beetle TDI ALL 5 speeds
"And I replaced the oil pump chain and tensioner in my Wagon at 300K miles. From the looks of the one that came out, it was a waste of money." IBW

Had a conversation with my guru this morning on this while we collectively struggled with getting my alternator out to replace the pulley. After mine was done they had to do the same to a 2.5 gasser beetle convertible,,,, sheesh, lots of extra chassis bracing for the convertibles.

"What for?" was his response. "Just let the engine warm up before you
start working it hard."

He also made some comments on 5w 40 oil, it sticks to the lower bearings when shut off, 5w-30, not so much. Rebuilding various motors at 300k+
he could tell which motors used which oil, and whether or not they were regularly maintained.
I just pulled apart an engine with 205k, rod bearings had significant wear...I can imagine it wasn't maintained very well either, it doesn't look like it.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

richmondvatdi

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Passat Wagon 5-speed,2003 Jetta GL Wagon, 2003 Jetta GLS Wagon, 2013 CC 2.0T
Update

I decided to replace the oil pump. The pump that came out of the car at 366,000 miles looked brand new. I was also very surprised to see that the plastic tensioner that has had a chain rubbing across its face for 16 years had almost no noticeable wear. That to me is amazing.
I'm glad I decided to go with the BRM sprocket along with the pump. At least with the sprocket "upgrade" it doesn't feel like the pump was a complete waste of money. :)

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Golf TDI GLS
Hey All -

I have a new-to-me 2003 ALH Jetta 5spd with 428,000 Km (266,000 miles). I am currently going through it as I have time solving limp mode, and replacing fluids and filters. Last timing belt job unknown (but suspected around 300,000 Km). TB is next on my list of maintenance to take care of right away.

I got lucky and found a local TDI owner who had an extra IDparts TB kit (standard) that he sold me for a great price, AND, is letting me use his Metalnerd TB tools at no cost!

On top of the standard kit, what else is recommended at this mileage? Should I just collect the parts to bring it to an equivalent High Mileage TB kit offered by IDparts?

Any and all advice on things to add to the standard TB job is much appreciated!

Pictures of what I have on-hand are below:
Im at 480k on my fourth TB replacement and car runs exellent still. Im running castrol 0-40 with ms02 every oil change since i bought the car at 130k. These cars are freaks literally! Im about to do my fifth timing belt and serpentine belt. Alt was replaced at 280k starter about the same time. Im gonna take her up to 600k miles. Gonna change the gear oil with refline mt90 for the third time and tranny is still rolling just fine!