Mazda SkyActiv Diesel Engine

michigandon

Veteran Member
TDI
1998 A3
Psst! Hey Mazda! Please bring the BT-50 to this side of the pond.

I would take one over a Mahindra without so much as a nanosecond of hesitation (and so would thousands of others I suspect).

German_1er_diesel

Veteran Member
TDI
BMW 118d
milehighassassin said:
Mazda 3 diesel would be real Golf competition. The Mazda 3 is a sweet car. I wish the 5 were put together as well as the 3.
I test drove the Mazda 3, and what I didn't like about it was the packaging - seriously, that thing is nearly a foot longer than a Golf, has noticeably less cargo space, the protruding rear bumper makes it a bit uncomfortable to load large items, the radio feels very clumsy and the optional Bose stereo sounds like an old kitchen radio.

The seats are very good though and the steering feels great.

pgenis

Veteran Member
TDI
JETTA 2006
:rolleyes:
My first brand new car was Mazda 3. It was called Protege 323, I think, at the time. It lasted 16 years, same clutch (manual trans), same shocks and struts, got 28-35 MPG and was fun to drive. 200K miles. Lost it to the emission controls and a new Jetta TDI.

When they have Mazda 5 or 6 diesels here, I am the first in line. These are very good and very practical. Zoom-zoom to the shore, baby ....

Peter

boutmuet

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 BMW 328d
Will believe it when I see it, a lot of companies have talked about bringing diesels to the US in the past but the actual number of companies actually doing it has been few.

Ted Hurst

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 GSW
I learned to drive on an 85 Mazda GLC (Great Little Car). Little 1.5 litre sohc 8 valve cam driven. Computer controlled Carb mixture was interesting. We drove it till about 150k and disposed of it. It was in too many accidents with too much rust to keep fussing with.

My sister bought a brand new 323 hatch with a 4speed (Boy that was loud on the highway!). That was like a rocketship compared to the GLC. Fuel injection was new for Mazda in 06 and made a huge difference. It was real easy to spin those 13inch tires with a stick.

BeetleGo

TDIClub Enthusiast, Pre-Forum Veteran Member
TDI
5-door, 5-speed Golf GLS replaced BeetleGo.
Mazda going diesel with the Sky concept

It looks like Mazda may be entering a new (and better) phase~!

NEW MAZDA SKY CONCEPT POWERTRAINS TO DELIVER DRIVING PLEASURE AND ENVIRONMENTAL PERFORMANCE FOR ALL

SKY-G and SKY-D engines significantly improve fuel economy and dynamic performance

Mazda is synonymous with powertrain innovation. And now, the company that has engineered the world's only mass produced rotary engine is at it once again. The Mazda SKY Concept is a development strategy behind a series of next-generation powertrains with global roll-out starting in 2011. The word "sky" reflects Mazda's desire to deliver driving pleasure while helping to ensure blue skies and clean air for future generations. To achieve this, Mazda engineers have adopted a "sky's the limit" approach, and are embracing unconventional thinking in their pursuit of ultimate powertrain efficiency.

"Improving fuel efficiency and reducing CO2 emissions is not just a goal at Mazda, it's part of our business plan; we will make vehicles that are safer for our environment," said Jim O'Sullivan, president and CEO, Mazda North American Operations. "We will increase our fuel economy globally by 30 percent by 2015 and offer affordable eco-friendly vehicles to all Mazda customers, not to just a limited segment of the market. The SKY Concept powertrains will play a big part in making this happen."

The all-new next-generation SKY Concept powertrains are the product of Mazda's ongoing Sustainable Zoom-Zoom strategy. These technologies are about a year away from launch, and are being developed using unique innovative Mazda engineering spirit. The SKY-G (gasoline-based) and SKY-D (diesel-based) concept engines will deliver the sporty driving experience that Mazda is known for, coupled to superior eco-friendliness. Fuel economy will improve 15 percent on the SKY-G and 20 percent on the SKY-D, with a simultaneous increase in torque.

Another key element of the SKY Concept is the all new SKY-Drive automatic transmission. SKY-Drive is a unique six-speed automatic transmission that offers driving feel comparable to a dual clutch transmission, while also improving fuel economy by five percent compared to Mazda's current automatic six-speed transmission.

These new eco-friendly products – combined with weight reductions of 100 kg (220 lbs.) on next-generation vehicles, improved aerodynamic design to reduce drag, and the introduction of electric devices like the fuel-saving stop/start system called i-stop (currently available in Japan and Europe) – will help Mazda meet its stated goal of improving the average fuel economy of its global line-up by 30 percent, with a drop in CO2 emissions of 23 percent (compared to 2008) by the year 2015. And because the combination of these developments improves the basic performance of all products in the Mazda line-up, it will make eco-friendliness available to all Mazda customers, not just a select few who buy a niche product.

Celebrating its 40th Anniversary in the United States in 2010, Mazda North American Operations is headquartered in Irvine, Calif. and oversees the sales, marketing, parts and customer service support of Mazda vehicles in the United States, Canada and Mexico through nearly 900 dealers. Operations in Canada are managed by Mazda Canada, Inc., located in Ontario; and in Mexico by Mazda Motor de Mexico in Mexico City.

Honeydew

Top Post Dawg
TDI
13 Passat DSG
We've been led on before by other manufacturers so I won't get to excited until they are at the dealerships. This will be a top contender for my wife's next car if it materializes.

dieselyeti

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Passat TDI SE (DSG)
MT ran a story two days ago about Mazda considering its diesel CX-7 crossover for the US market. The new Sky-D diesel is supposed to replace their current MZR-CD common-rail diesel. Yesterday they ran another article saying Mazda was bringing the Sky-D in a next-gen midsize sedan (Mazda 6?) for 2012. Supposedly this combination will be good for 43mpg highway and no exhaust aftertreatment. Hopefully they'll stick to it and not bail like Honda did.

Honeydew

Top Post Dawg
TDI
13 Passat DSG
The SKY Concept embodies Mazda’s desire to ensure an “everlasting blue sky” under which drivers will always be able to enjoy the fun-to-drive pleasure afforded by owning a Mazda.
:D

source: mazda

DnA Diesel

Veteran Member
TDI
no more...
Hmmmm....

As far as diesels go in North America's light passenger market, it's a 'put up, or shut up' world: either show the goods, or stop floating trial balloons and pulling the idea when you don't perceive enough support for the business case.

Kudos to VW, MB and BMW for putting their money where their mouths were, meeting the EPA standards that even exceed the EURO 4/5 standards, and actually provide good, clean, powerful diesels!

Anyone else, is just talk (and usually takeback...). I remain to be pleasantly surprised if this dosn't turn into another Honda or Subaru promise, then reneg, or Mahindra delay, delay, delay.

TDIMeister

Phd of TDIClub Enthusiast, Moderator at Large
TDI
TDI
Most likely an editorial error or the interviewed source is a dumb-a..

DnA Diesel

Veteran Member
TDI
no more...
I could see low-(satic)comression, turbo, so that off peak power, the engine would make less NOx. I too have a hard time imagining a NA diesel in these times.

Blackstallion

Veteran Member
Fighting the GWOT- while so many drive SUVs
TDI
aka: DieselHybrid
Gents,

Lower compression ratio (CR) diesels are relative.

Back in 1981, my dad's VW Dasher Diesel operated at a 22:1 compression ratio. Until emissions requirements kicked-in CR's in the low 20's were the norm.

Mercedes was among the first to buck the trend with 18.5:1 CR common rail diesels in the early 90's.

My '09 Jetta operates at a paltry 16.5:1 CR (btw same for Mercedes, BMW, Fiat, and EU Ford/Opel/Honda/Toyota etc).

Again emmissions (NOx) regulations have driven this trend as, clearly, the higher the CR the higher the thermodynamic efficiency. Reference the Carnot cycle as proof.

My guess is Mazda's US-bound diesels will operate at the current industry standard CR ~16.5:1.

DnA Diesel

Veteran Member
TDI
no more...
Acknowledged, Blackstallion, but the point we are refering to is the lower overall (B)MEP of an NA vice turbocharged diesel engine. Torque is directly proportional to BMEP and, multiplied by rpm, is proportional to power (hp). Thus, 16.5:1 CR without charged induction will make power approximately less in proportion to the ratio between boosted turbocharged engines and the non-boosted NA engine.

Your point about higher CRs increasing specific efficiency is valid for both Diesel and Otto cycles, notwithstanding that diesel combustion (occuring at peak, vice mean eff. pressure) is isobaric and reversible (constant pressure, volume increasing slightly) while Otto combustion is isovolumetric (thermo geeks will call it isochoric...man that second year Thermochemistry was painful), followed by adiabatic expansion on the power strok). Interestingly, if gasoline engines could actually run at the same CRs as diesels (even low CR newer diesels being NOx friendly) the Otto cycle would be marginally more efficient than the Diesel cycle . The reality is that gasoline flame propogation at such higher CRs is destructively rapid, and thus the fuel type limitations render Otto cycle engines still less thermodynamically efficient than diesels.

Overall, the factor of supercharging (be it turbo or mechanical) enhances the efficiencies of both cycles, and I remain to be convinced that Mazda's non-charged induction diesel engine, albeit low compression to maintain suitably low NOx levels, would be able to achieve favourable, let alone comparable efficiency levels compared to other diesel products in light duty vehicles today.

Regards

(aside: Carnot's cycle is composed of two isothermal (reversible) and two isentropic (reversible, adiabatic) processes, in theory fully reversible, but this is not the same as the Otto (four-stroke) cycle.)

booty

Veteran Member
Go for MPG!

Mazda needs to sell diesels in the USA like a Mazda 3 or Mazda 6 with a diesel that is optimized for mileage, not power. Also make sure a stick shift is available across the product line. VW has lost their way with the current TDI line that gets 10 to 15% worse mileage than the ALH models. This is the reason my daily driver today is a Altima instead of a Jetta.
If they would make a Mazda 6 that gets in the high 40's on the highway I would buy it.

Derrel H Green

Top Post Dawg
TDI
An '05 MBZ E-320 CDI (W-211) replaced the '10 TDI JSW
Comparison

booty said:
VW has lost their way with the current TDI line that gets 10 to 15% worse mileage than the ALH models.
This is the reason my daily driver today is a Altima instead of a Jetta.
If they would make a Mazda 6 that gets in the high 40's on the highway I would buy it.
:)

How can you even begin to compare an Altima with a VW? :confused:
What kind of F E do you get with the Altima?

If Mazda puts a diesel in a '6' it will not get F E in the high 40's. Why?
Because of the smog rules, which is the reason that the current
CR VWs do not do as well as the older VW ALH models.
If it were not for the 'new rules' I think the current CRs would
do even better F E wise than the older ALH models.

:D

pgenis

Veteran Member
TDI
JETTA 2006
I drove Mazda Protege (323) for 15 years. It still had the original clutch and did not really had any major problems. I just drove the car, period. I think the same goes for Altima too. One drives it and no worries about TB, lights, clutch or transmission.

I went with the VW because I tested a diesel car and I liked it. There was only VW selling them in 2005 (in a reasonable price range).

I do hope Mazda will bring there diesels to the good olde US. I will be selling our VW collection and buying Mazdas. It is that simple.

fastalan

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Golf TDI Wagon
>I do hope Mazda will bring there diesels to the good olde US. I will be selling our VW collection and buying Mazdas. It is that simple.<

You need to test drive them first. How would you know if the Mazda 6 diesel will be any better or worse than the latest VW TDI?
Have you tested the Mazda 6 diesel in other countries?

We could be seeing more VW TDI product selection for the north american market in the next 2-3 years, new passat tdi, new mid size sedan tdi, new Polo tdi.

Sounds like you have some bad feeling with your existing VW ride.