15 Golf SEL 67,000 miles and eating oil

JM Popaleetus

Veteran Member
TDI
Signature.
What kind of oil is being used by those noting unexpected oil consumption? Is it the manufacturer-approved 504.00/507.00 spec oil? I've experienced zero consumption from my 2015 TDI (now at 63K miles) and I'm careful to use only 504.00/507.00 spec oils.
Nothing other than VW/Castrol's LL03 has ever been used in my car.

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat SEL, 2017 Alltrack SE; BB 2010 Sedan Man; 2012 Passat,
The low oil warning light is there for a reason, with a ~6qrt sump I don't think there is a chance of starving the oil pump if you drive until the low warning comes on. Once the low warning comes on just top it up 1/2 qrt or more, just don't push it off until you get a low oil pressure alarm.

Also the sensor will let you know if it's disconnected/broken so you can put faith the sensor is working if you see oil temp and no other alarms/CEL come up.

turbobrick240

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2011 vw golf tdi(gone to greener pastures), 2001 ford f250 powerstroke
How bad is it to just drive until the low oil message comes on and then top up?
Not bad. Quite a nice feature to have really. The low oil pressure warning is the one you really don't want to see. Your car is basically telling you to check the dipstick more often.

DasTeknoViking

Veteran Member
TDI
B4 TDi, A4 R32
Bought my 15 GSW with 80k miles from a VW dealer(oil wasn't at max line), after 8k low oil light came on. Topped it off and changed at dealer -1st oil change was free and verified it was at the full mark. Next oil change i did myself using parts I got from IDparts.com and then the following as well.

Using Rowe 507 oil in engine & DSG transmission, car is now at 112k miles (32k in 7mo). I have not seen any oil consumption at all between oil changes.

I see about 25k miles per DEF refill as well.

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using Tapatalk

Uno’15TDi

TDI
2015 Golf SEL
Bought my 15 GSW with 80k miles from a VW dealer(oil wasn't at max line), after 8k low oil light came on. Topped it off and changed at dealer -1st oil change was free and verified it was at the full mark. Next oil change i did myself using parts I got from IDparts.com and then the following as well.

Using Rowe 507 oil in engine & DSG transmission...I have not seen any oil consumption at all between oil changes.

Good to know! Curious about the 507 Rowe oil in the DSG?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Nuje

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Sportwagen; Golf GLS 2002 (swap from 2L gas); 2016 A3 e-tron
I gotta think he was referencing that it was Rowe brand oil in both the engine and the DSG (I've received both from IDparts as well); don't think he meant that the 5w30 507.00 oil was going into the DSG.

Last edited:

CGR

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Golf TDI manual. Silver/Black
My low oil light came on about 500 miles short of being 10k from the last change. It was 1.75 quarts low. Something I will be keeping an eye on.

My oil change kit from Peter showed up two days ago. Time to change it and watch it more carefully. My MK4 never used oil until after 250k miles and then it was a quart every 10k.

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
There are way, way to few data points here to indicate a trend. We have many, many customers that have EA288 engines in their cars (we sell over 150 oil change kits for these cars monthly) and I've yet to have a customer mention oil consumption.

What were you saying? LOL :D While I wouldn't say there is an major issue of these cars eating oil i do think there may be a trend starting.

Also, when I place and order at IDparts, I usually don't fill out any comment form I just enjoy the 40K service kits offered with next day delivery.

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
Well thanks for that! But if a lot of customers were facing oil consumption issues I suspect we'd see them adding extra liters of oil to their kits. Also, customers both write us with questions and call in orders frequently. If there was a broad-based issue I think we would have heard about it.

I have the same impressions regarding HPFP failures in CBEA/CJAA engines. People here complain about failures, but when we sell nearly zero pumps and when gurus we talk to regularly rarely, if ever, replace pumps, it makes me wonder how pervasive the problem is. And I know about the warranty, but not every car out there has warranty coverage.

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Fingers crossed, we have about 9K left on this change, curious when/if the warning will show back up, wish we piled the miles on more.

I do have 400 miles worth or work travel next week.

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
I wonder if the thinner fluid would be better in colder temps. So far no issues, with two rides on ROWE from IDparts on their first change.

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
Just make sure that checks be done the same way every time (car parked the same, sitting for roughly the same amount of time, etc.). That will at least minimize any variance to your oil consumption logging.

JM Popaleetus

Veteran Member
TDI
Signature.
Just make sure that checks be done the same way every time (car parked the same, sitting for roughly the same amount of time, etc.). That will at least minimize any variance to your oil consumption logging.
That’s the plan. I always use the same station/pump, and that photo was taken right after it clicked off filling 10gal on the slowest notch.

Will be interesting to see what the actual rate of oil consumption is, the last interval might have just been a fluke.

JM Popaleetus

Veteran Member
TDI
Signature.
What oil are you running currently in the engine?
Got lost somewhere above, but...

Nothing other than VW/Castrol's LL03 has ever been used in my car.
5W-30

Though, I'll probably be switching to the VW's new Mobil-based 0W-30 507.

Another thing to note is that the OCI I started noticing some loss was the first one since the Phase 2 Fix and DPF replacement.

Last edited:

IndigoBlueWagon

TDI
VW's new oil that appears to be supplied by Mobil is a 0w30, not a 5w30. If you find you're consuming oil, I'd think it would be a good idea to switch to a 5w40 that meets Mercedes 229.51 spec. It'll be fine on your emissions system and the higher top number may help reduce consumption.

JM Popaleetus

Veteran Member
TDI
Signature.
VW's new oil that appears to be supplied by Mobil is a 0w30, not a 5w30. If you find you're consuming oil, I'd think it would be a good idea to switch to a 5w40 that meets Mercedes 229.51 spec. It'll be fine on your emissions system and the higher top number may help reduce consumption.
That's the one I meant, the 0W-30. Though, if it's actually the same 507 ESP it's always been, I believe I read it's closer to a "-38" weight.

What I really want to eventually run is the new Dexos2 0W-40: https://www.mobil.com/en/lubricants...-products/products/mobil-1-esp-formula-0w-40/

IndigoBlueWagon

TDI
That's an interesting oil, I wonder if it's available in the US. I'm going to try and find out.

I've also read that dexos2 is obsolete, but GM hasn't released the next standard yet.

JM Popaleetus

Veteran Member
TDI
Signature.
That's an interesting oil, I wonder if it's available in the US. I'm going to try and find out.

I've also read that dexos2 is obsolete, but GM hasn't released the next standard yet.
Not sure if dexos2 actually is obsolete since that oil I linked is GM's newest and specifically for the Corvette. But it's readily available!

Mobil Part Number (6qt Case): 123875
GM Part Number: 19353135

Now that's ESP Formula 0W-40. Curious if it's any different from the ESP 0W-40 that also has 229.31 and 229.51: https://www.mobil.com/en-US/Passenger-Vehicle-Lube/pds/GL-XX-Mobil-1-ESP-0W-40.

Last edited:

JM Popaleetus

Veteran Member
TDI
Signature.
Posting this just to keep track as a baseline. This is at 71470 miles: https://i.imgur.com/xp6TH15.jpg
Looks to be a 1/3 to 1/2qt low from completely full.

But I’m not sure how “full” it was to start. So I’m using that as my baseline to monitoring from.
Today, at 76255 miles or just short of an even 5000 later, my low oil light came on as I was pulling into my driveway. It's dark out, but it looks like I'm burning a 1/2qt every 5000 miles (assuming the light comes on at a quart low).