Springs!

Fogcat

TDI
2011 Jetta Sportwagen
I just had to replace my front struts due to a broken spring, drivers side. 2 weeks later drivers rear breaks identical. UPS is NOT doing a 2 day delivery even though I paid for it....1 week and counting. There is a recall for some 2015 and newer for springs. I have never had springs break like this and yes, I know it happens but all in the same comparative time frame seems suspicious. BTW...2011 TDI wagen. 94K miles.

calimustang

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 JSW DSG (buyback, RIP), 2014 JSW TDI, 2015 Passat TDI, 2013 Jetta TDI.
Its common issue for north east state car...... for vw that is. :( my car is from NJ and I am keeping a close eye to them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Gdiep

TDI
2014 Jetta Sportwagen TDI
I just found my front drivers side spring broken. It’s a 2014 JSW TDI with only 44k miles.

Seems a little too early/low mileage for this to be happening.

Pharcyde145

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 JSW 6MT
I just found my front drivers side spring broken. It’s a 2014 JSW TDI with only 44k miles.

Seems a little too early/low mileage for this to be happening.
Keep in mind the vehicle is 6 years old (more like 7 if you consider the true build date) and if it has always been a Northeast vehicle that means 6 winters of salt, brine and other corrosion, plus pot holes, frost heaves and bridge/road joints. The mileage of the car may not be a true indicator of the wear and tear on the spring itself even if driven gently.

That being said, many of the MK7's are having this issue and the closeness in year and commonality of parts between your JSW to the MK7 GSW it could be related. But getting VW to admit that will be more difficult and time consuming than simply buying new springs is worth if the dealer is unwilling to fix it under CPO (if applicable).

You can pick up a pair of front springs for cheap, I think they are on IDparts for something like $110, or use the opportunity to either lift or lower your ride with different spring choices. If you have the same issue happen again maybe you'll have some recourse with the part manufacturer since you have the receipts and can note the mileage on install.

Gdiep

TDI
2014 Jetta Sportwagen TDI
I’ve owned quite a few cars and always lived here in the Northeast and never had a spring break like this. In fact, the shop I just brought this to today was shocked that this happened on such a new and low mileage vehicle. So I’m getting the front struts and springs replaced with oem setup. I agree that there’s no way VW will acknowledge a defect. I like vw’s, I also had a Passat wagon in the past. However, they are not anywhere as reliable as Japanese.

Joe Romas

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Jetta Sprotswagen
In a VW repair manual somewhere in the past I read where it said to repair any paint damaged to the springs.
When I was shopping online for a TDI JSW one of things on my list was it had to be from a southern state. Mine came from NC and the underside looks like a much newer car.

Fogcat

TDI
2011 Jetta Sportwagen
IDParts has springs about $120 a pair, Add 2 bolts and ready...The "shop" says this is entirely too common and has asked VW why the recall on newer models for just this issue and not older? Gotta pay since I cannot remove the corroded bolts (too banged up...**me**) First time in my life I had to replace springs all the way around in under 150K miles.

PS: I have driven so many miles over the years that I don't even know how many... :)

vincej

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Golf Wagon
Gosh I hope none of mine break. I did have a SBC in it with a TH400 attached for a 1000km ride but nothing over 90kph.

I just changed a front strut in my son's Focus wagon due to a broken spring but that is probably forgivable in a 2004 car.

Is it not too difficult to change out a spring onto the original strut or is it best to change them as an assembly?

Fogcat

TDI
2011 Jetta Sportwagen
Gosh I hope none of mine break. I did have a SBC in it with a TH400 attached for a 1000km ride but nothing over 90kph.

I just changed a front strut in my son's Focus wagon due to a broken spring but that is probably forgivable in a 2004 car.

Is it not too difficult to change out a spring onto the original strut or is it best to change them as an assembly?

I always do entire assy. The mounts certainly and as long as it is all apart, why not whole thing. Also too...an alignment. To me it just makes sense. Why try to save $$$ when it will likely cost way more in a short time.

BTW, the springs I got from IDParts were a type that the factory uses. Time will tell but since there is a recall on "newer" models; I hope these are decent.