What did you do to your MK7 today?

bizzle

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 GSW SEL (totaled), 2013 Touareg Executive
Was at the drive-thru today and heard a rhythmic tapping sound that went away when I released the brake. I then remembered my belly pan is missing the three larger T40 torx screws. Anyone know the thread size? Google images (IDParts, etc) show they look like standard thread and not sheet metal screws.

I’ve also noticed what sounds like rocks/loose heat shield. I went under and couldn’t find anything loose. Hoping I don’t have a failing DMF.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I had the belly pan off my wagon when it was wrecked so I might have those bolts in my garage. I'll check later this afternoon if you're interested in them.

Discovery

Veteran Member
TDI
Mk7 SportWagen
Wouldn't that all fit in the back of your T'reg? You could roll down the windows and turn off the heat to keep it frozen. The seat heaters would be your friend!
Yup, I've done it one time. Those bag are sometimes greasy and not waterproof, even frozen meat mixed with fish still smell.
Suprise traffic on the way back with 400lbs of melting raw meat in the back is no fun.

I installed some cheap 3000k led in the fog housing today, hard to take a picture of it at night but they are pretty much as Bright as the halogen one.

Also did the obdeleven tweek so they turn on with HighBeam.

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat SEL, 2017 Alltrack SE; BB 2010 Sedan Man; 2012 Passat,
fogs with high beams is a great mod, love the added output close to the car and has kept me happy with stock halogen highbeam output.

Also I feel your dogs eat better than I do :(

dutch.mafia

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Golf
I had the belly pan off my wagon when it was wrecked so I might have those bolts in my garage. I'll check later this afternoon if you're interested in them.

If you’ve got them I’ll take them.

Thanks!

ProfBrown

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 GSW SE DSG
Went to replace what I thought was a burnt out turn signal/brake light on the passenger side. Turns out my luck is bad and the gasket on the back of the tail light was installed incorrectly and I led to a corrosion issue. The tail light was holding 2-4 ounces of water from this incorrect gasket placement. I know water was in there because I had a condensation issue but didn’t think it was this bad. Making a trip to the dealer today.

Koloss

TDI
2015 GSW 6MT
Washed it for the first time this winter, and first pic with the winter front pipe-insulation and Ed's Golf R replicas on.

Last edited:

adjat84th

Veteran Member
TDI
'01 Jetta TDI/'15 Golf TDI
Installed some brake dust shields from a performance pack GTI to fit over my 18z brake kit. They just barely fit with 345mm rotors, but they do fit! Hopefully this keeps my wheels from turning black so fast..if not, it'll be different pads going in there because I can't stand having to clean wheels as often as I have been.

Also, over the past several weeks, been working on installing a GTB2260vklr turbo. It's in and running albeit quite laggy with not having an updated tune just yet. The 1752vrk had to be "detuned" a little due to boost spikes and keeping the DMF happy, so I know there will be at least a little improvement down low with this larger turbo. I'll take it to the dyno when it's all done with tuning. 1752 made 190Whp/330Wtq (~230Bhp) on the dyno. Hopefully the 2260 can get it up to 240/380 at the wheels :)

Last edited:

tdidieselbobny

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'03 Galactic Blue Jetta TDI, '15 Silk Blue Golf Sportwagen TDI
I took my wagon to Ziebart for the Diamond Gloss paint treatment yearly application. When I got home and putting things back in car, I noticed my nice new rotor (right rear) has 2 scores in it:mad::mad::mad:, not sure what got onto brake pad:(...

Discovery

Veteran Member
TDI
Mk7 SportWagen
Was suppose to pickup a tool while wife is waiting in the car, came back with a TV and some ratchet straps.

It would have fitted in the trunk but baby seat prevented me from folding the seat and the deal was too good to pass.?

Nuje

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Sportwagen; Golf GLS 2002 (swap from 2L gas); 2016 A3 e-tron
Drove to Costco; came back with new "pinstripes" on the passenger door handle and door. :mad:

Last edited:

tdidieselbobny

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'03 Galactic Blue Jetta TDI, '15 Silk Blue Golf Sportwagen TDI
I took my wagon to Ziebart for the Diamond Gloss paint treatment yearly application. When I got home and putting things back in car, I noticed my nice new rotor (right rear) has 2 scores in it:mad::mad::mad:, not sure what got onto brake pad:(...
Well, not 2 scores. Had a rattle noise in rear since pad/rotor replacement, went away when I applied brakes or parking brake. Thought it was due to me not putting the anti-rattle clips in, but the factory pads didn't have them. After I had car on stands, I think I found problem-all lug nuts on drivers rear wheel were loose and rim was wobbling quite a bit:eek::eek::eek:....I tried to install the clips on the passenger side anyway, but no way in hell they were going on with pads unless I ground something down. Buttoned everything back up, no noise or rattle at this time. I can't believe I forgot to torque the lugs down, passenger ones were good-I guess this stuff happens when you turn 50:p....

dataiv

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golf Wagon TDI 6MT
Replaced standard seats in 2015 MK7 Trendline Wagon with those from a 2017 GTI

At long last I found a set of seats in the US (well, actually, I gave up for a while, and then found exactly what I was looking for when I looked again) and had them shipped to a spot near the Canadian border. I hadn't succeeded thus far in finding a set here in Canada.

They had the same set of options - power recline, manual everything else, and heated. Picked them up this week, and all was good with the shipment. No damage, and well packed!

I had no issue deconstructing the shipment and fitting it in the back of the wagon. The two front seats fit like two "L"s and the back seat pieces were no problem as they are all straight and flat.

Yesterday I first took out the passenger seat and looked at the connectors. Oh, no. Two connectors from the seat to the car on the new seats, and three connectors from the seat to the car on the old seats. After further investigation, I saw that luckily the wiring on the seat was all exactly the same, and the connector had been upgraded to reduce the total number of connectors. What this meant was that I needed to carefully undo all connectors on the bottom of each seat and swap the wiring harness from the old seats to the new seats. This made the job longer.

Rather than this taking an hour or so to swap the seats (I guess if you get the same year, this would be the case), it took a couple hours for the first seat, about an hour for the second, and another hour to do the back.
After swapping the harnesses, luckily all worked as hoped, and I now have the GTI Clark Plaid seats in my MK7 TDI Wagon. I also swapped along with the harness, the module on the bottom of the seat for detecting whether there is a passenger in the seat or not. So no airbag light and no module reset via VCDS required (though I do have VCDS, I just figured since the box was attached to the harness I was moving anyway, might as well just take the whole thing).

Much more comfortable for me - I never found the standard seats to be very comfortable for me. After a bit of time sitting I felt like I went completely numb in the rear, as if I'd been sitting on a piece of plywood for a while. Seems like the shape of the GTI seats with the extra bolstering works for me.

So, I wanted to post that since it's the first I'd heard of the wiring harness changing, so that everyone knows, yes, it's possible to use the 2017 MK7 GTI seats but you just need to swap harnesses from the old seats.

Honestly, I think they look great and look better than the stock seats. I don't mind the plaid / tartan look at all.

Last edited:

The Tortoise

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 GSW Trendline - White
Nice work! (Another Ottawa member here)

If my wife would be on board I would make that swap in a heartbeat.

If you don't mind me asking, what did the set of seats cost?

RIP TDI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'15 GSW SE 6MT...... '01 Golf GLS 5MT.... '96 Passat Variant....
Nice work! (Another Ottawa member here)

If my wife would be on board I would make that swap in a heartbeat.

If you don't mind me asking, what did the set of seats cost?
Sorry to butt in here with a response that's not a direct answer to your question but hopefully still a semi-relevant data point. I paid $490 USD for a set of SEL (Highline) seats from a New York wrecker. Truck freight across the U.S. to the west coast was another $400.

As it happens, I'm reupholstering these black leatherette seats in beige cloth with a GTI-style plaid center panel to coordinate with my beige interior.

Cuzoe

Veteran Member
TDI
MK7 Golf S
Mk7.5 GTD (and probably other Mk7.5) seats will also work, just have to swap over harnesses like you found out. I imported GTD seats from the Netherlands and installed them in my Golf, love them.

Sent from my A0001 using Tapatalk

dataiv

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golf Wagon TDI 6MT
I didn't realize actually 'til now that there was an Mk7.5! Lucky for me that worked out. I paid $500 USD for the seat set and $150 USD for freight shipping from NJ to upstate NY, plus 13% HST on the $500 at the border crossing.

Mrrogers1

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Golf TDI 6MT, 2011 Jetta TDI DSG, 2015 Golf Sportwagen S TDI DSG
Sorry to butt in here with a response that's not a direct answer to your question but hopefully still a semi-relevant data point. I paid $490 USD for a set of SEL (Highline) seats from a New York wrecker. Truck freight across the U.S. to the west coast was another $400.
As it happens, I'm reupholstering these black leatherette seats in beige cloth with a GTI-style plaid center panel to coordinate with my beige interior.
Pics or it didn't happen :D

desjiem

TDI
2015 Golf Sportwagen S
I also just picked up a set of 2015 plaid seats from a GTI locally (10 minutes away)... I plan to put them in this evening!

dataiv

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golf Wagon TDI 6MT
I also just picked up a set of 2015 plaid seats from a GTI locally (10 minutes away)... I plan to put them in this evening!
:D :D This is becoming quite the popular thing to do, isn't it. Congrats! I have had them in for a week and a half now and am still enjoying them and still think it was 100% worth it.

desjiem

TDI
2015 Golf Sportwagen S
:D :D This is becoming quite the popular thing to do, isn't it. Congrats! I have had them in for a week and a half now and am still enjoying them and still think it was 100% worth it.

Thanks! My husband has a 2009 GTI with plaid seats and I've always loved them! I'm very excited to get these in! Next will be to try to figure out how to make the seat heaters work in my S trim sportwagen... :D:D

JeffsSportWagen

Usually between the Florida Gulf Coast & Treasure
TDI
2015 Golf SportWagen S TDI/dsg
At long last I found a set of seats in the US (well, actually, I gave up for a while, and then found exactly what I was looking for when I looked again) and had them shipped to a spot near the Canadian border. I hadn't succeeded thus far in finding a set here in Canada.

They had the same set of options - power recline, manual everything else, and heated. Picked them up this week, and all was good with the shipment. No damage, and well packed!

I had no issue deconstructing the shipment and fitting it in the back of the wagon. The two front seats fit like two "L"s and the back seat pieces were no problem as they are all straight and flat.

Yesterday I first took out the passenger seat and looked at the connectors. Oh, no. Two connectors from the seat to the car on the new seats, and three connectors from the seat to the car on the old seats. After further investigation, I saw that luckily the wiring on the seat was all exactly the same, and the connector had been upgraded to reduce the total number of connectors. What this meant was that I needed to carefully undo all connectors on the bottom of each seat and swap the wiring harness from the old seats to the new seats. This made the job longer.

Rather than this taking an hour or so to swap the seats (I guess if you get the same year, this would be the case), it took a couple hours for the first seat, about an hour for the second, and another hour to do the back.
After swapping the harnesses, luckily all worked as hoped, and I now have the GTI Clark Plaid seats in my MK7 TDI Wagon. I also swapped along with the harness, the module on the bottom of the seat for detecting whether there is a passenger in the seat or not. So no airbag light and no module reset via VCDS required (though I do have VCDS, I just figured since the box was attached to the harness I was moving anyway, might as well just take the whole thing).

Much more comfortable for me - I never found the standard seats to be very comfortable for me. After a bit of time sitting I felt like I went completely numb in the rear, as if I'd been sitting on a piece of plywood for a while. Seems like the shape of the GTI seats with the extra bolstering works for me.

So, I wanted to post that since it's the first I'd heard of the wiring harness changing, so that everyone knows, yes, it's possible to use the 2017 MK7 GTI seats but you just need to swap harnesses from the old seats.

Honestly, I think they look great and look better than the stock seats. I don't mind the plaid / tartan look at all.
Those look terrific! This is something I also would like to do, especially since I've already GTD swapped the front end of mine.

Cuzoe

Veteran Member
TDI
MK7 Golf S
Those look terrific! This is something I also would like to do, especially since I've already GTD swapped the front end of mine.
Get GTD Seats :D The all grey plaid shows up from time to time on UK Ebay...

I paid somewhere around $500 to ship FedEx from the Netherlands for mine, had them in 5 days. Of course if you find seats within local/driving distance you're not gonna pay shipping. But when I was looking for GTI seats none were local and all the shipping quotes were $400+, figured for another $100ish bucks I would get some seats they never sold in the states.

Cuzoe

Veteran Member
TDI
MK7 Golf S
Agreed, don't know if they did me a solid or if all the random stateside sellers were trying to fleece me on the shipping. I did have to ship to a business address, due to the crate size/weight as it was forklifted out of the truck... maybe the vendor I bought from does a lot of shipping and just gets good rates. Either way I've got GTD alcantara seats in my TDI [emoji16]

Sent from my A0001 using Tapatalk