2015 SportWagen Fault Code

mfortmann

TDI
2015 Golf SportWagen
My check engine light came on last week so I made an appointment to get it checked out along with an oil change yesterday.
Car seems to be running fine so I wasn't too concerned. I also have original warranty as well as TDI warranty (which I specifically verified by calling VoA before buying the car in Auguest). The dealer says it's an intermittent fault that they couldn't readily diagnose a fix for and that it was either a fuel or fuel filter issue. The code is P2478 Exhaust gas temp (b1/S1) sporadic. Should this be covered under warranty? Because they charged me $120 to just do a diagnosis and reset the MIL... which came back on about 20 minutes after I left the dealer. They said it's either poor fuel or the fuel filter. The car has 49,800 miles on it and the complete 40k service was done last December/January when the car was being prepped for resale after the emissions scandal. I verified with the dealer that did the 40k service on what was completed. Unfortunately for me, they are more than a 2 hour drive so using them for service isn't feasible.
Thoughts or advice? I was thinking about calling VOA to see why this wouldn't be covered under the emissions warranty.

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
I tell ya, Volkswagen should be ashamed of this sort of thing. :mad:

It most certainly IS under their warranty, and it SHOULD have been diagnosed, and fixed, at $0 cost to you.

It is getting harder and harder to be a Volkswagen fan. :rolleyes:

mfortmann

TDI
2015 Golf SportWagen
I tell ya, Volkswagen should be ashamed of this sort of thing. :mad:
It most certainly IS under their warranty, and it SHOULD have been diagnosed, and fixed, at $0 cost to you.
It is getting harder and harder to be a Volkswagen fan. :rolleyes:

I'm on the phone with VoA now. The dealer that did all of the TDI certification work and 40k service said they absolutely would have filed this under the emissions warranty and not charged me to diagnose the issue.

VoA wants me to give the dealer the car back to reassess the issue and the dealer wants me to rent, not give me a loaner, while they have my car. they said if it ends up falling under the tdi warranty, they would reimburse me the original diagnosis charge... that dealer has given me more reasons over the years to not use them than use them but unfortunately, there aren't many dealers in Delaware.

ProfBrown

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 GSW SE DSG
I haven’t car in at the dealer currently for a leaking pano moon/sunroof. I also have the cpo 2 year unlimited bumper to bumper warranty. The service advisor would not flat out say it was gong to be the $50 like jr should have been. Instead he quoted me 870 unless the warranty claim was accepted. Not going to lie, this is yet again, another bs dealership. Makes me think getting anything done under warranty is gonna be a *****. Looking forward to getting rid of this car.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

thundershorts

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 passat tdi sel premium 2015 golf s tdi gls tdi b5.5, 2002 eurovan,Peugeot 505 td,Citroen cx25 prestige
Mfortmann, there are a couple dealers not that far from you that are competent other than the one you went to. Dealer rater website is a good place to see what you can expect. As to leaking gsw sunroofs, VW should have an extended warranty on them, they are apparently trouble judging from the number of complaints. The hatch ones seem ok but the long ones must suffer from the longer roof flexing.

Lightflyer1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Beetle tdi dsg
Actually knowing your rights under the court decree before going in really helps. Going in ignorant of the facts lets them blow you off. Take the thing in (decree), in writing so you have it to refer to and show them. Anything but the trans that sets a code is covered. Also a loaner is covered if they have to keep your car. If there are other dealers around then find the best one and use them for things such as this. Any disagreements are to be settled in favor of the customer, not VW. People need to learn and start pushing this so VW gets held accountable for the court ordered warranty.

hskrdu

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 Golf GLS 4D 5M, 2015 GSW SE 6M
Actually knowing your rights under the court decree before going in really helps. Going in ignorant of the facts lets them blow you off. Take the thing in (decree), in writing so you have it to refer to and show them. Anything but the trans that sets a code is covered. Also a loaner is covered if they have to keep your car. If there are other dealers around then find the best one and use them for things such as this. Any disagreements are to be settled in favor of the customer, not VW. People need to learn and start pushing this so VW gets held accountable for the court ordered warranty.
I can't find the reference to a loaner.

GIDDY_UP_GO

Veteran Member
TDI
10 Jetta 13 Beetle Convertible 15 GSW
In my many years of owning VW TDI vehicles I have noticed that their are good dealers and then there are dealers that absolutely are the worst ever!

I have 3 VW dealerships within an 80 mile radius of my home and 2 of them are the worst you have ever seen, while one is the BEST I have ever been to, going as far as not charging me for a diagnostic and even switching my glow plugs around at no charge to me to see if that was the problem throwing a check engine light. Free starbucks coffee while you wait in showroom and even a BRAND NEW Jetta R model for a loaner while my car is getting a new water pump installed!!!

mfortmann

TDI
2015 Golf SportWagen
Update! I contacted VW the day after the original service where they charged me $120 for a diagnosis of bad fuel or fuel filter with that fault code... We had a quick conference call with VW and the dealer. I scheduled an appointment for today and dropped it off. On that call with the service manager, I asked if my $120 would be reimbursed if this was found to be something under warranty. This afternoon they called and said they needed to order the part and that it's the exhaust gas temperature sensor. I verified that it was covered by the warranty and that it'll be ready tomorrow. Now to make sure they do reimburse me... I've already got another dealer picked out the next time I have a service.

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat SEL, 2017 Alltrack SE; BB 2010 Sedan Man; 2012 Passat,
if you keep looking for a new dealer each time one screws up and tries to make a few bucks off you, you will quickly run out of dealers. ;)

mfortmann

TDI
2015 Golf SportWagen
if you keep looking for a new dealer each time one screws up and tries to make a few bucks off you, you will quickly run out of dealers. ;)
This is the only dealer I've ever been to in northern Delaware and they've screwed up on each of the last 3 Volkswagens I've owned. I used to work for YBH Volkswagen back in the early '00's but they are not owned by the same people and the group that did take over doesn't have a very good reputation. I've already got another dealer to check out the next time I need service. It's one of the shops I spoke to when asking opinions on the work that should have been warranty work from the beginning. $120 isn't just a few bucks for something that was supposed to be covered.

thundershorts

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 passat tdi sel premium 2015 golf s tdi gls tdi b5.5, 2002 eurovan,Peugeot 505 td,Citroen cx25 prestige
Why not try Garnet? They have good service manager.

mfortmann

TDI
2015 Golf SportWagen
Why not try Garnet? They have good service manager.
I intend on that after this issue gets fixed. When I talk to the VW case manager this week ( a scheduled follow-up), I am going to inquire about switching the case to Garnet if it isn't fixed.

While I was at YBH, management was very hands-off on selling a car unless the customer requested that they step in. I had, maybe one bad sale when I first started and I was there for about 2 years... Other than that, I never had customer complaints and if someone brought their car in for service, I made sure they were taken care of.

thundershorts

Top Post Dawg
TDI
North Penn or course is the best in the area but its a lot further away.

mfortmann

TDI
2015 Golf SportWagen
So... another exhaust gas temp sensor was replace, then more faults appeared. They found a loose wire connection. Hopefully that'll fix it.

thundershorts

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Hopefully you've found the dealer you like and accommodates you.