New heater core, now only heat from passenger vents

jpg98

TDI
2014 TDI SEL Premium
Hello all. I bought a 2014 SEL Premium with 53K miles on it about a month ago. I could tell that the heat from the passenger vents was sorely lacking. Then I had a check engine light come on. My car had the warranty extension for the core, so I took it to the dealer. I just got it back tonight and found that I get full heat from all passenger side vents regardless of where the temp is set.
The car didn't have much heat from the passenger vents before the replacement core, so I can't say for certain whether the blend door was working before the repair. Would a blend door actuator problem tend to generate a code? The only code the dealer found was p245700 for EGR cooler efficiency, which they said was related to the heater core being plugged.
This car is not a CPO car, so I'm trying to figure out how to proceed. I haven't been able to find any diagrams of the hvac system yet and I don't have a way to scan it myself...yet.
Thanks for any help you can provide.
Jared

06bluebeetletdi

Veteran Member
TDI
'14 Passat TDI SEL and '13 Beetle TDI
I remember reading other threads about arms for doors being knocked loose during heater core replacement, i would take it back to the dealer that did the heater core replacement.

jpg98

TDI
2014 TDI SEL Premium
Ok, so I went out to take a look under the passenger side dash. It seems that the car lot I bought this car from "fixed" the heat before I bought it. What a bunch of losers. See pic below where they used a nylon tie to lock it to full heat.
I guess I need an actuator for the passenger side. Will this require any vcds work or should I be able to just plug it in?
Am I missing any linkages here too? A picture of what it's supposed to look like would be super helpful.

Last edited:

c3kTDi

TDI
2015 Passat
Ouch.

Depending on the lot and how long ago you purchased it, I'd pass the bill on to them, but I sure wouldn't let them touch it.

jpg98

TDI
2014 TDI SEL Premium
Update- No heat from driver's side now?!!

I drove the car this morning and found that I don't get any heat at all from any of the driver's side vents. I didn't notice it yesterday because it was 60°F outside and the passenger vents were blasting hot air. Now that it's 35° it's quite noticeable.
I can see the driver's side blend door actuator arm moving as the temperature is adjusted and I had heat on this side before the heater core repair. Has anyone seen this problem?
Also, can anyone confirm whether or not vcds is needed to replace an actuator?