New Product - Aluminum Street Shield Tunnel Brace

mikerob97

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Jetta Sportwagen
Hello - I noticed a new product on the ECS tuning website that I am quite interested in:
https://www.ecstuning.com/b-ecs-parts/aluminum-street-shield-tunnel-brace-fwd/020838ecs01kt/
This is said to fit the Golf Mark VI chassis, with the 2.5 liter.
My question is two fold - does anyone know if the relevant mounting points on the Mark VI Golf are similar to the JSWs? The ECS website indicates the shield is not a fit for the TDi model Golf, but I suspect that might be because the exhaust configuration of the TDi within the tunnel might interfere with the shield.
I am looking at this shield for my JSW after I do a DPF / Cat delete this Spring - so the TDi exhaust system size would be greatly reduced. Hence, I am more concerned with similarity between the mounting points on the Mark VI Golf compared to the JSW. If the mounting points are close, it might just fit the JSW with a Cat delete.
Thanks for any feedback.

Last edited:

Joe Romas

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Jetta Sprotswagen
Mike, see my reply on this thread. Your link also shows a splash pan, if you don't have one already you may want to start there then move onto the tunnel
http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=504283&page=3
The mounting points especially on the right, passenger side of my 14 JSW were very hard to even see let alone installing the nut insert and the already mounted 8mm stud further forward. But once installed I noticed the car rode different, stiffer maybe, and quieter too.
The splash plate is claimed to strengthen the frame and it does seem to for at least me.
The back side of the plate has three 6mm bolts and a 8mm one into a added bracket that comes with the plate.

Last edited:

mikerob97

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Jetta Sportwagen
Mike, see my reply on this thread. Your link also shows a splash pan, if you don't have one already you may want to start there then move onto the tunnel
http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=504283&page=3
The mounting points especially on the right, passenger side of my 14 JSW were very hard to even see let alone installing the nut insert and the already mounted 8mm stud further forward. But once installed I noticed the car rode different, stiffer maybe, and quieter too.
The splash plate is claimed to strengthen the frame and it does seem to for at least me.
The back side of the plate has three 6mm bolts and a 8mm one into a added bracket that comes with the plate.
Joe - are you saying that you installed the Aluminum Street Shield Tunnel Brace? Or are you saying that you installed an aluminum cover that covers the engine (that take the place of the stock plastic Splash shield?)

Joe Romas

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Jetta Sprotswagen
Joe - are you saying that you installed the Aluminum Street Shield Tunnel Brace? Or are you saying that you installed an aluminum cover that covers the engine (that take the place of the stock plastic Splash shield?)
I installed this splash pan talked about in the thread I linked. I had no idea it would improve the ride and road noise. The splash pan in your tunnel link might work better as a pair.

https://www.cascadegerman.com/product/a3007/

PRY4SNO

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Touareg Execline
This part is a game changer.

I live rural and often haul heavy loads down rough roads.

Could have prevented ripping out the rear O2 wiring and having to pay the stealer a mint to repair the wiring to obtain the extended emissions warranty.

The added benefit of improved chassis rigidity and reduced NVH is a bonus.

Price is good too, hopefully there's no reckoning to be had with international shipping (not holding my breath, it is ECS after all).

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
It says it fits the Golf 5 and Jetta 5, which your 2014 JSW is... so yes it should fit fine. The gassers' rear lambda sensor goes over to the same area the TDI's stuff does, so I would think it would not hinder the installation of this.

As I have stated here in these forums many times: there is no such thing as a Golf/Jetta 6 , Mk6, A6, whatever you want to call it, station wagon.. It is an A5 that has been facelifted to look like an A6. The underpinnings are all A5. The wagons went straight from A5 to A7 (in 2015). And the Jetta sedan from 2011-17 is a DIFFERENT platform altogether (commonly known as NCS for 'New Compact Sedan').

But to that point, the A5 and A6 platforms are not drastically different anyway. The biggest change really was in the front subframe/steering/suspension with a return to the control arms with the compliance bushings laid sideways (like A1, A2, A3, and A4 cars). Both the A5 and A6 are considered part of the PQ35 platform, however the wagons did not get all the upgrading that the hatchback did for some reason.

mikerob97

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Jetta Sportwagen
As I have stated here in these forums many times: there is no such thing as a Golf/Jetta 6 , Mk6, A6, whatever you want to call it, station wagon.. It is an A5 that has been facelifted to look like an A6. The underpinnings are all A5. The wagons went straight from A5 to A7 (in 2015). And the Jetta sedan from 2011-17 is a DIFFERENT platform altogether (commonly known as NCS for 'New Compact Sedan').
Thanks Oilhammer. I need to have "Golf 5 = JSW" tattooed on my forearm so I don't forget...I think i am going to try out this product once I do the DPF / Cat delete this Spring.
Thanks,