CJAA Head Upgrades - Camshafts/Valve Springs - Help a 1st timer!

travis45

Veteran Member
TDI
14 Sportwagen, 96 Passat TDI Sedan
Will be attempting my first camshaft, valve spring and headstuds and was hoping some of you with more experience would be kind enough to keep me out of trouble.

I have a set of the new Colt billet cams for the CR TDI coming from MecEvo along with some upgraded valve springs.

https://www.mecevo.com/parts/colt_cams_stage_2_common_rail_engine_cbeacjaa.html

https://www.mecevo.com/parts/common_rail_camshaft_installation_kit.html

I also have the camshaft install kit coming with new lifters.

My plan was to remove the cams and change the head bolts one at a time for ARP head studs without removing the head or disturbing the head gasket. My under standing is that you need to do one at a time, torque to 110ft/lbs, then work your way center out at 130ft/lbs. If anyone can confirm these numbers, I'd really appreciate that.

Then change the valve springs on 1-4 cylinders while at TDC, then rotate the engine 180 degrees and do cylinders 2-3.

I ordered this tool to help w/the valve springs.

https://www.darksidedevelopments.co...ommon-rail-valve-spring-removal-tool-kit.html

I'm a little nervous about this as I've never had done any of this type of work before. There is a tool from Sealy that is designed to help set the cams but is very expensive. Looks like it would make the job a lot easier, but MecEvo says it is unnecessary.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mkq63BZFkIo

I'm going to take my time, take pictures as I remove things. Label the rockers so they go back in the same position. But any advice or tips are greatly appreciated. Also wondering what is the correct sealant for the camshaft upper deck to head?

Any advice and help is greatly appreciated from the more experience folks out there. Or if there is anything else useful and worth while doing while I'm in there, I'm all ears. I'll be putting a fresh timing belt/kit on as well as this car will be pretty close to 100K miles. I know I can go a ways yet, but I may as well do it while I have it apart.

I look forward to sharing the results.

Respectfully,
Travis

travis45

Veteran Member
TDI
Looking into a thicker head gasket now to lower compression ratio a touch.

Kevinski4

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
No need for the special cam tool. Align the marks on the cam gears, set them on the head, set the cam girdle down on them, push the cams down into the journals by hand using the girdle, run a few bolt in. Done more than I can count this way. Ive never seen an engine that didn't have timing marks on the small cam gears.

Macradiators.com

Veteran Member
TDI
2.0 CR 360hp
The cr has no markings but you can make your own.
Put timing belt at tdc with special tools, mark camshafts , you are done
I built my own tool to remove springs with head on the engine, was pretty fast job.

If i were you i would remove and port the cyl head, measure piston protrusion and put the recommended gasket. CR is already low on the engine 16.5 on mine.

Arp studs torqued in order set by manual, 160nm iirc final with arp lube.

I just saw the ds kit for springs removal, mine is 10 times better lol. And much faster, no need to unscrew bolts every time. Just position-press-remove-put spring in-press-block, slide to next spring.Last 4 springs i finished in 2 minutes.

Specs for the camshafts?

Last edited:

Macradiators.com

Veteran Member
TDI
2.0 CR 360hp
That's a little strange dont you find?
Hope it works ok but dont expect miracles without porting. Moe if you have any doubts write me on fb
but since you're at it, do it the proper way, its your ticket to the 300+

Last edited:

travis45

Veteran Member
TDI
No wonder Philippe hasn't answered my question.

I appreciate your input Mac.

Thanks Kevinski. I'm sure once I have it apart it will make more sense.

Terry270

Veteran Member
TDI
03 golf, 10 A3
Well crap, I sure wish these were around a year and a half ago when I blew a head gasket, had 3 rockers come apart on me and trash a cam!