Need to do my first DSG service

hangman

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 VW Jetta Sportwagen
Hey fellas,

As I mentioned before I have a 2013 Jetta Sportwagen TDI. I had the dealer to the routine service up until @ 70,000

Now I’m planning on doing my own DSG service. I will be getting the car up on jack stand so I can get underneath it.

Is there a better brand of transmission fluid and filter for these vehicles. I’ve seen some videos online using a funnel. Some others used a pressurized fill tank.

Also what was the name of that diagnostic cable that hooks up to the laptop to bleed the air out of the fuel filter and maybe the transmission?

Thanks for any helpful advice.

MichaelB

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Passat SE DSG
Hey fellas,

As I mentioned before I have a 2013 Jetta Sportwagen TDI. I had the dealer to the routine service up until @ 70,000

Now I’m planning on doing my own DSG service. I will be getting the car up on jack stand so I can get underneath it.

Is there a better brand of transmission fluid and filter for these vehicles. I’ve seen some videos online using a funnel. Some others used a pressurized fill tank.

Also what was the name of that diagnostic cable that hooks up to the laptop to bleed the air out of the fuel filter and maybe the transmission?

Thanks for any helpful advice.

Oh, my for having read the stuff on this forum your questions are like you just bought the car. The cable you are asking about is called VCDS available from Ross-Tech. There are several different methods to change the DSG fluid and all are covered if you do a YouTube search. There does not appear to be a special or better brand of DSG fluid to buy as they all appear to be equal so pick according to price.

Last edited:

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
My only advice is to always use the OEM filter and o-ring, as the aftermarket o-rings shrink up and leak. I've seen this happen probably 20+ times now.

We use Pentosin brand fluid here, no issues.

hangman

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 VW Jetta Sportwagen
Thanks for all the helpful advice! I ordered the HEX-V2 cable from
Ross-Tech

I’m going to be ordering the DSG starter kit from ID Parts. Do most of you guys prefer to use the funnel type fill method or the pressurized pump type?

I’ve got a 3 ton full size craftsman Jack + four 6 ton jack-stands. So I will be working in the driveway. I’m just trying to figure out if one of these fluid fill methods is better for me.

Also I know that the kit comes with 5 liters of DSG fluid. I believe the capacity is @ 5.5 liters. I’m assuming that not all the fluid comes out during the drain process.

Is the 5 liters enough? Has anyone had a problem with it not being enough?

Thanks again

MichaelB

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Passat SE DSG
Is the 5 liters enough? Has anyone had a problem with it not being enough?

Thanks again
It actually only holds 4.5 liters when you change it. but they can't sell you a half liter, hence you get 5

Last edited:

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
I have a pressurized vessel tool, but I use that on a lot of different cars. Actually, I have two. One I JUST use on the 02E DSG, because I use it so often (already used it today!).

MichaelB

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Passat SE DSG
Which fill method do you guys prefer?

Top fill through the filter hole gets my vote! Less messy :cool:

Yep, I don't use the bottom fill nor the VCDS. No need. The "bottom fill" will ALWAYS end up 1/2 L short on fluid, makes a huge mess and wastes oil.

I've done over 300 DSG services some cars not 6 times with no issues.

If I could train my shop lackey to do them.......anyone can do them.

Last edited:

hangman

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 VW Jetta Sportwagen
I’m new to servicing this vehicle myself since I had the dealer do it previously.

So what you’re saying is that once you remove the transmission filter you are putting the fresh transmission fluid in through the housing that holds the filter? Is that correct?

How do you know how much fluid to put into the transmission? Are you measuring how much old transmission fluid came out? And then putting the same amount of fluid back in?

Once again I am assuming that once you drain the old fluid out you are replacing the plastic tube and the drain plug? Then filling it in from the top?

Are you using a funnel when adding the DSG fluid from the top?

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat SEL, 2017 Alltrack SE; BB 2010 Sedan Man; 2012 Passat,
Also while i love Rosstech and their countless support they've provided the platform, and not to dissuade your purchase.

All you really need is a ODB11 or Carista. While I've never used either reading the temps is straight forward.

Also if you do the measure what you drain and fill with the same, you technically don't need to verify the temps. This is the method I chose.

If you do the over fill and drain (believe this is the book method), then you need to know the fluid is in proper range. I would have done this method except I did it on ramps, you gotta make sure the car is level.

gmcjetpilot

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 JSW TDI DSG Matalic Grey
Remember it is easy.... you drain oil, fill oil (to specific volume) and replace filter.

People get wrapped around the axle on how to get the volume of oil right:

1) Over fill to let oil burp out stand pipe with engine running (how you fill, top fill or pump from bottom, is your choice)

2) Measure what you drained and fill with fresh oil of same amount, no need to burp it... (one assumes it was properly filled to start with).

It is really easy (but messy and time consuming). Have fun.

Last edited:

MichaelB

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Passat SE DSG
All this measure and get the fluid at just the right level is becoming a very boring tale. My guru JasonTDI a guru and member here will attest to 4.5 liters and has done 300 or more changes in his shop. Never was there any issue with 4.5 liters. Why would a trans need 4.65 another at 4.6 and the majority need 4.5? Do you really think the measuring devices are that accurate? .1 liter means nothing in the grand scheme of things. Really don't complicate a simple job. Do any of you actually think that the factory fill does not have a tolerance of + or - .1 liter? Why overthink such a simple job?

Last edited:

hangman

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 VW Jetta Sportwagen
One again thanks for all the helpful advice.

I had a busy day today. Got the car jacked up and on four 6 ton jack stands.

Did the oil change and replaced with a Mann filter and Mobile 1 ESP motor oil.

Did the fuel filter change and bled the air out using the Ross-Tech cable and the VCDS program. It worked very well. I packed around the filter housing with shop towels. Removing the filter from the cap is tricky. It splashed everywhere and on me! I think I’m going to use a fluid evacuator the next time to remove the diesel fuel before I try to remove the filter from the cap.

I check the brakes and rotated the tires. i’ve got about 3/16” + of pads on the back pads. Then @ 1/4”+ on the front pads.

I’m saving the best for last! I removed the air filter housing, battery, and battery tray to access the DSG filter housing. I removed the main plug at the bottom of the DSG housing. I had a new 6 quart round drain pan with measuring marks on the walls. The oil began gushing out. I had @ 4 quarts +!!!! Then I poured this into a 5 gallon bucket. I put it back underneath and then remove the plastic insert fill/measuring tube. Then I had another 4 quarts gushing out. I had about 8 1/2 to 9 quarts of fluid in my transmission!!!

I had a 40,000 mile Transmission Service done by my Volkswagen dealer! I called them and got the service manager on the phone. I asked him how much fluid should my transmission take during a routine service? He said about 4 1/2 to 5 quarts.

I told him how much fluid came out of my transmission! I told him I wanted to know how the hell did one of these morons who work in their service department put nearly 9 quarts of fluid in my transmission??? I told him I wanted to know how the hell did one of these morons who work in their service department put nearly 9 quarts of fluid in my transmission?

He said he would look into it and get back to me. I am going to stop by with the 5 gallon pail to show him just how much came out! I’m absolutely shocked and surprised that this did not damage my transmission!

This is another reason why I want to do my own service going forward!

I also changed the engine air filter in the cabin air filter. One of the plastic screws underneath the dash to access the cabin air filter was missing. The remaining plastic screw head was cracked.

The washers on the five screws for the fuel filter housing were missing. So obviously these monkeys in the dealership service department don’t exactly pay attention to detail!!!

Last edited:

MichaelB

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Passat SE DSG

I had a busy day today. Got the car jacked up and on four 6 ton jack stands.

Did the oil change and replaced with a Mann filter and Mobile 1 ESP motor oil.

Did the fuel filter change and bled the air out using the Ross-Tech cable and the VCDS program. It worked very well. I packed around the filter housing with shop towels. Removing the filter from the cap is tricky. It splashed everywhere and on me! Your kinda clumsy I think I’m going to use a fluid evacuator the next time to remove the diesel fuel before I try to remove the filter from the cap. Waste of money and time

I check the brakes and rotated the tires. i’ve got about 3/16” + of pads on the back pads. Then @ 1/4”+ on the front pads.

I’m saving the best for last! I removed the air filter housing, battery, and battery tray to access the DSG filter housing. I removed the main plug at the bottom of the DSG housing. I had a new 6 quart round drain pan with measuring marks on the walls. The oil began gushing out. I had @ 4 quarts +!!!! Then I poured this into a 5 gallon bucket. I put it back underneath and then remove the plastic insert fill/measuring tube. Then I had another 4 quarts gushing out. I had about 8 1/2 to 9 quarts of fluid in my transmission!!! Sounds like your dealer did not drain anything just added 4.5 liters I'm surprised it didn't come out the vent hole!

I had a 40,000-mile Transmission Service done by my Volkswagen dealer! I called them and got the service manager on the phone. Did I ask him how much fluid should my transmission take during a routine service? He said about 4 1/2 to 5 quarts.

I told him how much fluid came out of my transmission! I told him I wanted to know how the hell did one of these morons who work in their service department put nearly 9 quarts of fluid in my transmission??? I told him I wanted to know how the hell did one of these morons who work in their service department put nearly 9 quarts of fluid in my transmission?

He said he would look into it and get back to me. I am going to stop by with the 5 gallon pail to show him just how much came out! I’m absolutely shocked and surprised that this did not damage my transmission!

This is another reason why I want to do my own service going forward!

I also changed the engine air filter in the cabin air filter. One of the plastic screws underneath the dash to access the cabin air filter was missing. The remaining plastic screw head was cracked.

The washers on the five screws for the fuel filter housing were missing. So obviously these monkeys in the dealership service department don’t exactly pay attention to detail!!!

My thoughts in red. Also, I would ask for a full refund of the services rendered that you can prove were incorrect.

Last edited:

hangman

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 VW Jetta Sportwagen
Let’s not generalize about clumsy, especially about people that you don’t know .

The canister is full with diesel and the filter is tight on the cap. Maybe I’ll have better success and less mess the next time.

jesus_man

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Jetta (gone), 2002 Passat (gone), 2009 JSW (VW bought), 2010 JSW
I am considering tackling the DSG service myself as well. I had the dealer do it on my last TDI, but it looks straight forward.

hangman mentions removing the battery. I have a post that continues to get fuzzy and I treat it with battery spray. Would really like to get in there and clean it well. But what does this do to the radio? Do you need the code to get your radio going again?

$50 for kit from idparts (tools and funnel)
$125 for oil
$27 for filter and o-ring/seal

Is this the filter and seal you speak of oilhammer?
https://www.idparts.com/dsg-transmission-filter-oem-02e305051c-p-810.html

gmcjetpilot

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 JSW TDI DSG Matalic Grey
This thread reminded me to do my DSG... I did it last weekend. I had free DSG oil and filter I bought with my diesel-gate $1000 appeasement money.

I top filled. I HATE taking out the battery and tray. I have a VW clip in battery box and still try and use the insulation blanket. It is a PIA to remove and install. Next time I will go with the bottom fill.

I drained 4.7 L. and I put in 4.8 L.... I did pull the plug and checked and took about 1/10th liter. I just did not trust myself. But the drain, measure and refill method is cleaner. Skipping the burp step is golden, if you trust the amount you drained is correct and you added the same amount. Taking that plug out to burp the excess oil out, getting oil all over your (gloved) hand, is messy PIA.

Has anyone notice if you start the job with a HOT DSG, by the time you get the new oil in and ready to burp oil out, RossTech cable hooked up, the oil is already at 45C. BTW the way it is summer and 90F in the garage. This is about 2 hours after putting car on jacks. The DSG and residual oil just stays hot enough to get the added oil hot. I have done this twice, where oil was already hot before starting engine. Dead of winter, cold DSG, cold oil, sure you will have to warm it up. Seems if you do this job with hot DSG, during warm months, measuring the temp is not needed?

Last edited:

MichaelB

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Passat SE DSG
After your edit changing from 1 liter to 1/10th, my previous comment was deleted. Drive on. My Guru swears by 4.5 liters cold and he has done over 300 DSG fluid changes.

Last edited:

jesus_man

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Jetta (gone), 2002 Passat (gone), 2009 JSW (VW bought), 2010 JSW
I don't plan on being concerned with oil temp even tho I have Ross Tech. Plus, as you mention it will be a warm summer day and the car and oil will all be the same temp.

I bought all I needed (Thanks Michael) and will be performing this soon. Also, a quick shout-out to Motivx tools as they have a nice set of filter sockets, among a few other tools. A while ago I ordered their ~70mm socket for the oil filter realizing that I should actually target the 32mm hex on top of the canister and they sent me the 32mm, just to verify it was what I needed before we discussed money. After I confirmed, all they asked for is for me to return the larger one. They pd shipping twice and displayed great customer service! I just ordered their 24mm socket and funnel kit that fastens to the oil spout, so no more balancing act to fill oil! They have an Amazon store too.

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat SEL, 2017 Alltrack SE; BB 2010 Sedan Man; 2012 Passat,
I top filled. I HATE taking out the battery and tray. I have a VW clip in battery box and still try and use the insulation blanket. It is a PIA to remove and install. Next time I will go with the bottom fill.

You still gotta change the filter, unless that's beneath your maintenance routine.

cliballe

TDI
2010 Jetta
Has anyone notice if you start the job with a HOT DSG, by the time you get the new oil in and ready to burp oil out, RossTech cable hooked up, the oil is already at 45C. BTW the way it is summer and 90F in the garage. This is about 2 hours after putting car on jacks. The DSG and residual oil just stays hot enough to get the added oil hot. I have done this twice, where oil was already hot before starting engine. Dead of winter, cold DSG, cold oil, sure you will have to warm it up. Seems if you do this job with hot DSG, during warm months, measuring the temp is not needed?
I have noticed this on two of my DSG services. One was in April and one in September and the fluid was already warm enough to drain the excess and install the drain plug once I turned the car on, monitoring with VCDS. This past December I did my third service and I only had to idle a minute or so before I drained the excess. I fill with 5.5 liters so I get a lot of purge (my prerogative, lol).

MichaelB

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Passat SE DSG
I had a 40,000 mile Transmission Service done by my Volkswagen dealer! I called them and got the service manager on the phone. I asked him how much fluid should my transmission take during a routine service? He said about 4 1/2 to 5 quarts.

How did it go when you brought in the bucket of fluid?