Help with part number and source for part

Baysville

TDI
Jetta Wagon, 2005, Spice Red, Auto - SOLD, Jetta Wagon, 2006, Silver, Auto
Through the TDI 101 forum, a couple of members identified the parts I was looking at (fuel supply line and tandem pump), and directed me to a recall that was relevant.

The dealer has confirmed my suspicions that a rubber fuel supply line (pictured in the centre of the photo, s-shaped, darker black than the other line) is leaking/weeping/seeping. Apparently the LUK tandem pump to which it leads is OK, as it had been replaced under recall before I received the car.

The dealer tells me that that hose needs to be replaced, that it comes as part of a set of three, and the cost for parts is a whopping $250 or so. Seems a lot for a piece of moulded hose that is about 4 inches long.

Can anyone confirm that the part number for the pictured fuel supply hose is 038 130 308M ? (2005 Jetta Wagon, auto)

I have checked 1stvwparts ($122) and world impex ($152) - both describe the part as "pipe", with nothing more, but it seems like "hose" would be more appropriate. I don't want to get the wrong part.

Here is a pic:

http://pics.tdiclub.com/showphoto.php?photo=41879&cat=500&ppuser=35867

The prices make me think the dealer was giving me the wrong part number. Perhaps the wreckers for a used part is the best way to go.

Last edited:

MOGolf

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Golf GLS TDI Reflex silver, rough road suspension and steel skid plate, 2004 Passat Variant, Candy White, rough road suspension and geared balanced shaft module, and much, much more. 2016 LR RR HSE TD6, 2019 Jaguar I-PACE
Yes that is the part number. The part includes both hose pieces connecting to the pump, the fuel temperature sender, hose from sender to pipe and the metal pipes to which the hoses attach. No separate part number for the pipes or hoses.

The temperature sender does have a separate part number if it is the only part required to be replaced.

Baysville

TDI
Jetta Wagon, 2005, Spice Red, Auto - SOLD, Jetta Wagon, 2006, Silver, Auto
Fuel line replacement/air

Thanks MoGolf.

Does anyone know if I remove the rubber fuel supply hose (described above) for replacement, whether I will have to somehow bleed air introduced into the fuel supply line?

MOGolf

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Golf GLS TDI Reflex silver, rough road suspension and steel skid plate, 2004 Passat Variant, Candy White, rough road suspension and geared balanced shaft module, and much, much more. 2016 LR RR HSE TD6, 2019 Jaguar I-PACE
Yes you should be prepared for fuel spilling out and air going in. The best way to prime this is to use a Mityvac with a brake bleeder bottle attached to the return hose at the filter. Clamp off the return hose from filter to tank. Cap off the T-fitting nipple that after you remove the return line from the engine. Use the Mityvac to draw fuel from the tank, through the filter, through the lines and tandem pump. Once fuel starts to be seen in the brake bleeder bottle, reconnect everything the way it was at the beginning.

Or you might turn the key to on, wait 10 seconds, turn off. Repeat several times. Then attempt to start. Eventually it should restart and the air will get circulated out.