Turbo timers

Manu

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 VW Golf Wagon 6MT Highline TDI
Has anyone ever installed a turbo timer on their TDI's ????

A friend of mine, who owns a heavily modified Toyota Supra Turbo swears by it. He only has praises for it.

Now, I was wondering if it is possible to install one on a TDI, and if they are available for them. Apparently, it needs an harness for hook up. The one he has is a HKS unit.

At least I wouldn't have to worry about turbo cool downs !!!!

Any comments/info welcome.

Manu

Drivbiwire

Zehntes Jahr der Veteran
TDI
2013 Passat TDI, Newmar Ventana 8.3L ISC 3945, 2016 E250 BT, 2000 Jetta TDI
Your friends Toyota should work just fine with a turbo timer, but the TDI does not use the same engine contorols making the turbo timer install very difficult if not impossible.

People keep forgetting that the TDI exhaust temperature is HALF that of any turbocharged gasoline engine! The reason is because diesels do not require "After-cooling" in other words extra rich to reduce exhaust temperatures. Instead a diesel always runs super lean leading to the fuel efficiency and cooler temperatures, also the diesel burn process is over before the exhaust valve is open so that by the time the gasses hit the turbine wheel they are already hundreds of degrees cooler. Gasoline Engines exhaust gas is still burning as it passes the turbine of your friends gas engine (or any other for that matter), if you were to see the turbo while the car is under a load such as on the highway you would see a bright glowing orange turbo. The diesel turbos will never get hot enough to glow. This is why "idle-down" is not as critical for a diesel as it is with a gas engine. Your best insurance is to use a good quality sythetic oil and use a little sense when pulling into a rest area while driving down the highway at 90mph, don't shut the car off let it idle for a few seconds and then turn it off.

One thing that should be brought up is that while you are decelerating the fuel is shut-off to the engine, if you can coast without touching the pedal with the car in gear this will also help reduce your turbo's temperature enough that your cool down time will not be as critical.

DB

M

mickey

Don't waste your money. Make sure you give the engine a minute to idle at the end of a high speed, full-throttle run or an uphill canyon-carving session. But in day-to-day operation your TDIs turbo won't get hot enough to worry about if you use synthetic oil. Gas engines, though, are another matter! But you don't need a turbo timer. A pre-oiler would provide some benefit, but probably not enough to justify the cost.

-mickey

Manu

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 VW Golf Wagon 6MT Highline TDI
The HKS unit he has costed him around $180 Canadian, plus the harness (for the ignition), wihch I believe was around $18 CDN, plus applicable taxes.

But I'll probably follow Michey's & Drivbiwire's advice, I'll just have to tell my wife to let the car idle for a bit.

Manu

HowardZ

Top Post Dawg
Hmmm... $198 Canadian for a preluber and postluber with timer. Not a bad price at all. What is that in US dollars?

Previous to your posting we only knew of a $600 model. This is why people here don't like it.

Do you have a web page that describes this unit. I bet that at this price many people may become interested.

HowardZ

Top Post Dawg
Oh, I see.
This device lets the car idle a preset amount of time and then shuts off the engine.

This probably won't work with our high security TDI systems.

I thought it was an electric oil pump with timer circuit that will circulate the oil when the engine is turned off.