Longevity of new DSG flywheel

csnow

TDI
I was just curious how many miles the replacement LUK flywheels have had put on them, and how they are holding up. I am planning on doing mine this summer once I get some more money. Thanks

ITDID

TDI
2006 jetta BRM engine, DSG
I'm at 101000. No rattles, but will pull the starter motor one of these days to check for slop. Does anyone know if this new part is the same part spec'd for the 2.0?
Thanks.

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
I've never had to do one twice, so I guess that's a good sign. I know I have a few that have gone longer on the replacement than the original, maybe 100k+ miles or so.

oilhammer

TDI
LOL, gotta tell ya, though, I have a 2010 Golf on the lift here that sounds like its DMF wants to come through the bellhousing. So maybe it is just a crap design no matter what. :rolleyes:

mobhitmn

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat 6mt SE
LOL, gotta tell ya, though, I have a 2010 Golf on the lift here that sounds like its DMF wants to come through the bellhousing. So maybe it is just a crap design no matter what. :rolleyes:

How many miles on the 2010 Golf, if you don't mind me asking.

I have a 2010 DSG SportWagen w/ 81k and I have a loud "clunk" during the 2nd to 1st downshift. Carefully weighing my odds of when I should replace the DMF.

Thanks!

csnow

TDI
I'm just trying to make sure that this isn't going be a maintenance item lol every 40k change oil every 100k change flywheel.

Sent from RAZR using Tapatalk

faafaafowhigh

TDI
2006 Jetta TDI, Package 1
I was just curious how many miles the replacement LUK flywheels have had put on them, and how they are holding up. I am planning on doing mine this summer once I get some more money. Thanks

If money is your issue, I wouldn’t worry about replacing it any time soon. The rattle is more of an annoyance than a mechanical failure, so if the rattle bothers you that much then replace it.

My DSG’s DMF has 226,000 miles on it and its been rattling for about 100,000 miles

oilhammer

TDI
Some of them blow apart, without much warning, sending chunks through the bellhousing. That to me would be plenty to worry about beyond just noise. Although I admit I don't know what it sounds like seconds before this happens, and I would not let my own car ever get to that point anyways.

csnow

TDI
I just got to thinking, what did you replace the DMF with a VW one or a LUK one. I am getting ready to bite the bullet and want to see what the best, longevity wise, would be.
Thanks again

oilhammer

TDI
Luk is who makes them for Volkswagen. The only difference is the one has the VW/Audi logo and part number on it, the other does not. The Luk markings are identical. The Volkswagen one costs more, too.

MonsterTDI09

TDIClub Enthusiast, Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Jetta DSG/ up keep on 2009 Jetta DSG 2006 Jetta Pag 2 in North SEA Green
I just replace mine two week ago at 129K.To me the car had more pick up after it was done.

Kuma

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Golf, Automatic
Please excuse my ignorance but what is a Dual Mass Flywheel? Can a Single Mass Flywheel be used in the DSG trans?

Lee_Taylor

Veteran Member
TDI
Audi A3 1.4 COD
Please excuse my ignorance but what is a Dual Mass Flywheel? Can a Single Mass Flywheel be used in the DSG trans?
The dmf flywheel is basically made up of two components connected by springs. Unfortunately as far as I am aware no one makes a non dmf flywheel for the dsg.

xmac81

TDI
2010 Jetta Sportswagon TDI
I have 128k on my 2010 Sportswagon and have to replace the DMF. I know both driveshafts have to be disconnected from the trans, but do they have to be removed from the wheels, or just slid out of the way? Is there anything else I have to be concerned about? While I have the trans out, I'm going to replace the clutch assemblies (expensive) and the rear main oil seal...

oilhammer

TDI
You won't need the clutch, and likely not the main seal (which is part of the rear main sealing flange and CKP sensor ring assembly, and requires a special tool to install anyways).

redbarron55

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Touareg TDI Executive
My DSG JSW has 218,000 miles on the original setup and I have heard no noise from the transmission.
I wonder of the amount of time idling has anything to do with the problem.
The dual mass really existe to even out the torque impilses at low RPM where they are noticable.
With the car moving at some higher speed the torque impulsea are shared with the transmission mass along with the flywheel.
"Out" of gear the flywheel sees the torque impulses by itself and the mass damening those impulses is an order of magnitude lower.
Any reflections on this? I think the physics are correct and my car rarely idles (you can't idle that much and put those 218,000 miles on the car!)