Cheap fuel is expensive.

tasma

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta TDI 2012 Passat TDI
I just had to tear down my Ford diesel tractor because it lost compression on the #1 cylinder. This tractor only has 1200 hours on it and it is supposed to go 10,000 hours before it needs major work.
The reason it lost compression is that soot plugged up the compression ring and it wouldn’t float in the piston grove. When it stuck the pressure went past this ring and put all the load on the second compression ring and cracked it in half.
Bottom line…cheap low cetane fuel wrecked the engine. I could have saved a $800 repair bill just by using better fuel.
There is a new Amoco station in town and it is going to get all of my business from now on.

car54

theGAME
TDI
2002 Jetta
this happened to my freind on his Kubota. It generated so much blow-by that the oil got forced out the top end because the CCV wasnt large enough. I cant say it was bad fuel, though. he uses 47 cetane amoco, from the only local diesel station. they certainly see some volume too. I think it was a weak pump/injector not allowing full proper conbustion.