Phase 2 Fix - Deadline?

Martin Winterkorn

TDI
2015 Golf TDI SE w/ Lighting Package
Hi All,

Can anyone please confirm the actual deadline to have the phase two fix completed in order to retain the extended warranty? I thought I read somewhere it must be completed by December 31st, 2018 in the US, but I can't find it anywhere now.

I currently have ~24,500 miles on the odo and scheduled an appointment with the dealer for December 28th. I was trying to hold out as long as possible, but I want to ensure I retain the warranty. Any advice would be great!

Mike in Anchorage

Veteran Member
TDI
2016 Touareg Lux, 2015 Golf Sportwagen SE, new 4 Sept 2017;2009 VW Jetta TDI Sportwagen (Ruby) sold to VW on 22 SEP 2017
Thanks. I second the request.

Lightflyer1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Beetle tdi dsg
Well from my reading some of those who decided to wait till the last minute have been getting screwed. I would just get it done. What real difference could 30 or so days make?

earlyj

TDI
2015 Golf TDI SEL DSG silk blue
Document states you should be notified by June 30 2019 as of when repairs can be made to your vehicle. Go to the vwoa website plug in your VIN and read the document

Martin Winterkorn

TDI
Well from my reading some of those who decided to wait till the last minute have been getting screwed. I would just get it done. What real difference could 30 or so days make?
Any valid input? How have people been getting screwed?

Document states you should be notified by June 30 2019 as of when repairs can be made to your vehicle. Go to the vwoa website plug in your VIN and read the document
I went to VW website and this is all I get when I input my VIN.

TDI Gen3 Phase 2 AEM
VW ACTION CODE
23Y8
START DATE
04-24-2018
DESCRIPTION
The Environmental Protection Agency and California Air Resources Board have determined that Volkswagen vehicles equipped with a 2.0L 4-cylinder TDI engine do not comply with applicable emissions regulations. The emissions control systems on the vehicles will not control emissions under off-cycle conditions as effectively as during the federal test procedure. The extent of the emissions increase under off-cycle conditions depends upon how the vehicles are driven.
REMEDY
Install updated emissions control system hardware and software, install a TDI Emissions Modification-Proof of Partial Completion or Proof of Completion Label and install a Supplemental Vehicle Emissions Control Information Label (if required).

I also went to the claims website VWOA Claims, however I don't see any further documentation stating specific deadlines other than this.

CLAIM DEADLINE – SEPTEMBER 1, 2018. All claim information and required documents must be submitted.
OFFER LETTER DEADLINE – DECEMBER 1, 2018. Deadline to submit signed and notarized offer letter for review.
If you do not “Submit” documents in time, your claim may be marked ineligible.

BUYBACK/EARLY LEASE TERMINATION APPOINTMENT AVAILABILITY
The 2.0-Liter Settlement Program will end on December 30, 2018. If you delay scheduling your closing appointment, we cannot guarantee closing appointment availability on the date and time and at the Dealer you desire, particularly given the December holidays.

Last edited:

Martin Winterkorn

TDI
Well after some digging into a few pages I finally found something, but the language only sounds as though its written directly for those with approved claims for restitution from the modification. Unfortunately mine was not as it was a dealer buy.

December 30, 2018 – Deadline to Complete Buyback, Early Lease Termination, or Approved Emissions
Modification: The 2.0-Liter Settlement Program will end on December 30, 2018, and you must complete your
selected remedy by that date. If you delay scheduling your closing appointment, we cannot guarantee closing
appointment availability on the date and time and at the Dealer you desire, particularly given the December
holidays. Volkswagen will be unable to accommodate you if you are unable to find an available appointment due
to delay in scheduling. Additionally, if you do not have all of the required paperwork at your closing appointment,
Volkswagen may be unable to reschedule your closing appointment if you wait until the last day.

earlyj

TDI
2015 Golf TDI SEL DSG silk blue
That looks like its referring to those who are eligible for the second payout, those who didn't sell back. I bought mine after phase 1 repairs

Mike in Anchorage

Veteran Member
TDI
2016 Touareg Lux, 2015 Golf Sportwagen SE, new 4 Sept 2017;2009 VW Jetta TDI Sportwagen (Ruby) sold to VW on 22 SEP 2017
I have not received any notice about any requirement and since I'm on a VW loan for the car I would expect they know how to contact me. I do not feel like I'm waiting until the last minute since I picked up the car just over a year ago, have had it in for one warranty issue, and no mention has been made. I'll call the local dealer tomorrow and if I get any reliable information, I'll share it.

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat SEL, 2017 Alltrack SE; BB 2010 Sedan Man; 2012 Passat,
Big difference between those getting money and those that have an open emissions recall on the car.

For majority of 15's that already have phase 1, it's strictly an "emissions recall" with no real timeline limitation.

Lightflyer1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Beetle tdi dsg
Especially since those with low miles have to come back for a second time at some point. They will not be complete by the end of the year and/or a few years. It could potentially take me another 2 or 3 years to reach the mileage required for the second return fix.

Mike in Anchorage

Veteran Member
TDI
I went to the service department today and they used the VIN to look up my situation. There is a fix available, and they could schedule to do that now, but they were positive that I did NOT need to get anything done by year end to keep a warranty intact or anything like that. I'll look further into it in the spring and see if I'm ready for it then.

kdawg89

Veteran Member
TDI
15 Golf DSG 06 Jetta (sold)
A dealer just told me based on the VIN they showed an open recall for phase 2 and that it has to be completed by DEC 31st.

Lightflyer1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Beetle tdi dsg
A dealer just told me based on the VIN they showed an open recall for phase 2 and that it has to be completed by DEC 31st.
If you are just going to jump into a thread you really should specify what car and year you are talking about.

There is no deadline to get the fix done if all you want is the fix done. If you are trying to collect the money due in the settlement, then the deadline applies. They are obligated to do the fix for anyone that wants it, no matter what.

Mike in Anchorage

Veteran Member
TDI
The only TDI you show is an '06 Jetta, which is not a part of the settlement. Are we missing something?

kdawg89

Veteran Member
TDI
Yeah, sorry. I am buying a 15 golf and trying to get all of this figured out “.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

elcid86

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golf TDI SEL
Yeah, sorry. I am buying a 15 golf and trying to get all of this figured out “.
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
https://www.vwcourtsettlement.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/05/2.0L-Reminder-Notice-For-Posting.pdf
December 30, 2018 – Deadline to Complete Buyback, Early Lease Termination, or Approved Emissions
Modification: The 2.0-Liter Settlement Program will end on December 30, 2018, and you must complete your
selected remedy by that date. If you delay scheduling your closing appointment, we cannot guarantee closing
appointment availability on the date and time and at the Dealer you desire, particularly given the December
holidays. Volkswagen will be unable to accommodate you if you are unable to find an available appointment due
to delay in scheduling. Additionally, if you do not have all of the required paperwork at your closing appointment,
Volkswagen may be unable to reschedule your closing appointment if you wait until the last days of the Settlement
Program. If that happens, you will not receive benefits under the Settlement Program.

nectarguru

Veteran Member
TDI
Black 2015 Golf SE
Wow...I'm so glad I opened up this thread. From what I read earlier this year, Phase 2 needed to be completed by the end of June 2019, and not only that but you need to provide 30 days notice. Yikes. I'll be contacting my dealer tomorrow, but looks like I might not be getting my Phase 2.

kdawg89

Veteran Member
TDI
You should be fine. Mine and my brothers have been done in the last week or so with no prior notice. They got us both in within 24hrs of calling them.

PD Rig

Veteran Member
TDI
2004, 2015 Golf TDI
I chatted with VWOA regarding the phase 2 fix. It is an open recall. There is no expiration date at this time for phase 2. The 12/30/18 deadline is strictly for buyback/cash settlement.

nectarguru

Veteran Member
TDI
Black 2015 Golf SE
I chatted with VWOA regarding the phase 2 fix. It is an open recall. There is no expiration date at this time for phase 2. The 12/30/18 deadline is strictly for buyback/cash settlement.
This is what I assumed as well until I logged into the forum last Friday and saw all of the hullabaloo about the December deadline. The 12/30/18 deadline applies to cars purchased pre-scandal (or purchased without the Phase 1 mod already completed).

After learning about it I tried to make an appointment on the VW Service website. It showed me the open times (30 days out/end of Jan) but would not let me schedule. The next morning, I called the dealer and he took it upon himself to squeeze me in by the end of the week so I'd make it in time. I even called the scandal hotline and an automated message clearly states that all modifications of pre-scandal vehicles need to have modifications complete by 12/30/18 (the same info that was copied and pasted from the VW docs on the page 1 here). My car was finished today, thankfully. Couldn't be happier.

Don't take my word for it, but I sure wouldn't risk it going off only what they told you over the phone.

BMAN

Veteran Member
TDI
14 Touareg TDI
It's a shame after all this time dealers or VW don't have the correct info to pass along to us when we ask questions.

Lightflyer1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Beetle tdi dsg
Well they do but I believe the correct people and question has to be asked first. The documents only apply to those cars involved in the settlement. So answers there only apply to those cars. Answers have been given that if your car isn't involved in the settlement there is no deadline. This makes sense as they have to warranty the existing cars for many years and are required by law to upgrade for free anyone who wants it done. If you want to continue to believe they will warranty the cars with no parts available and will renege on the law requiring them to refit cars when asked, then I guess you can but your position makes no sense. Take the logical answer and some common sense and you will know what is right.

jonferns

Veteran Member
TDI
'15 Golf
I reached out to my local dealer (which I've had a service issue with in the past), and was told that Dec 31st was the cutoff, and that I would have to pay to have phase 2 done after that date :rolleyes:

Contacted another dealer which is a bit further out of the way, but is generally well-regarded, and made an appointment for 1/8. We'll see how it goes!