Audi S4 Tdi Avant B6 AKE V6 2.5L 2002 - long crank

Norwescan

TDI
2002 Audi S4 Avant V6 TDI 2.5L 180hp
Hiya, I have zero experience on V6 Tdi 2.5L with VP44 I/p and I'm pretty sure this is the first car here in North America as I brought it over from Germany. My son complained of a long crank on cold and I decided to hook up my VCDS (professional) to peer at the Tdi timing (basic settings group 004) and chose Tdi timing and it is way retarded but I noticed it cycled between base timing and it advanced to way advanced and kept cycling.

Never seen VCDS do this on any ALH / AHU engines that I've worked on. I'm pretty sure the long crank is due to the retarded Start of Injection and I have bought all the jigs to do the Timing Belts. Has anyone seen this cycling in VCDS Tdi timing?

Cheers!

Last edited:

Norwescan

TDI
2002 Audi S4 Avant V6 TDI 2.5L 180hp
Update - it was about 4 degrees retarded and I dialed it in to slightly advanced of mid line in TDI timing graph and the long crank went away. Need to ignore it when it kicks it to 15 degrees advanced as it does cycle and return to base timing.

Now that long crank has gone away, I'm turning my attention to dialing IQ as it should have more jam on the low end torque.