EGR mod to keep intake clean !!!!

rodney02

Hello,
I have a 2002 Jetta TDI auto.I am chipped (upsolute)and have had my EGR adjusted.
I was recently at a GTG in Toronto and was told by someone that because I am chipped my EGR will still open somewhat, even though is was adjusted with the VAg-com.
He told me that the best thing to do was into install an Epsolian device, this way my EGR could be disconnected from working altogether and not put exhaust gases into my intake.
The Epsolian device is some contraption that the vacuum hose(originally connected to the EGR) connects to which is tied into the MAF wires. He told me this way the ECU thinks that its connected to the EGR and won't give any fault codes.
This guys car had this device and his EGR vacuum hose was not connected. This way he said there will be no exhaust gases going into his intake at all.
He showed my his oil and it was clean. There was no soot in there AT ALL!!!!!
My question is:
If the EGR vacuum hose is disconnected the EGR will be in the closed position where the plunger inside is all the way down to keep the exhaust gases from going into the EGR and intake manifold.
Am I correct that the engine exhaust comes into the EGR from the bottom via the metal flex hose?
If this is the case why not just leave the vacuum hose connected to the EGR and place a BLIND GASKET (A flange gasket without any holes to keep exhaust gases from coming into the EGR in the first place)at the bottom of the EGR between the EGR and the metal flex hose. This way the EGR doesn't have to be adjusted with the Vag-com. The ECU thinks that the EGR is working properly because its controlling it.
I don't think anything will be damaged because with it done the other way (with the Epsolian device) the EGR plunger was in the closed position anyways. Keeping the exhaust gases from coming in.
Also, my CCV is disconnected so that there is no oil vapours going to the turbo.

What do you think??

Comments would be appreciated.
I want to do this to my car.

Rod

Drivbiwire

Zehntes Jahr der Veteran
TDI
2013 Passat TDI, Newmar Ventana 8.3L ISC 3945, 2016 E250 BT, 2000 Jetta TDI
People stopped using those because of wiring issues they caused. The MAF problems it created resulted in hard to diagnose issues that were only found upon removal of the device and resplicing the MAF wiring. I tried this for some time but car started to act up, after several attempts to get it right I yanked it and did the EGR adaptation.

The modified EGR adaptation still allows some EGR but WITHOUT cutting the wires and it reduces it to the point that you will not get the plugging of the intake. However if your smoking like a chimney the intake will still get soot in it and no matter what mod your running soot will still get in the oil.

Stay away from that device and do the free EGR adaptation change...

DB

Kevinski

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Passat TDI, GLS
Rodney02, I logged on just to post the exact same question!!

I agree your thinking makes sense to me, I don't really understand how it would trigger a cel (please explain further for us kids sitting in the back of the classroom).

There is another tdi club member who made this mod (blind gasket-he used aluminum plate), and stated no cel. I want to do the same thing. Don't remember who it was, sorry.

If I understand correctly Drivebywire is commenting on the epsilon device??? And not the blind gasket???

Has anyone out there done the blind gasket (plate mod), and if so had any trouble or cel??? thanks, Kevinski, 2002 jetta ,auto

lrpavlo

Veteran Member
TDI
09 Sportwagen DSG, 02 NB Auto
Well, you could just try the blank plate and see if doesn't throw a CEL....
Personally I'm kinda hoping that there will be a bunch of folks out there who don't know about Freds and when they find out how much they want to get their car degunked they'll sell em to me cheap

GoFaster

Moderator at Large
TDI
2006 Jetta TDI
Blind gasket, EGR vacuum hose disconnected, Dieselgeek "race pipe", all have the same effect ... total elimination of EGR operation! If your car is operating the way it's supposed to, the ECU will detect that the EGR is inoperative (regardless of which method is used) and will throw a trouble code. However, SOME people are LUCKY, and have a vehicle that for some unknown reason, doesn't give a trouble code if this is done.

If you want to *completely* eliminate the EGR, by ANY of the above hardware methods, then the Epsilonian device (and its side-effects) is the only known solution to prevent the MIL from coming on.

The EGR adaptation method reduces - but does not eliminate - the amount of EGR. Advantages: no extra hardware, vehicle emission control system remains operating and will thus pass a visual inspection, EGR operation remains within factory shop manual specification limits (although just barely) and thus it's "quasi-legal". The reduced EGR is enough to eliminate intake clogging, but since the system is still there and working it keeps the ECU happy and it keeps the smog police happy.

The Epsilonian device has been known to cause driveability problems (shuddering) in some cars because of the "on/off" nature of the device.

Drivbiwire

Zehntes Jahr der Veteran
TDI
2013 Passat TDI, Newmar Ventana 8.3L ISC 3945, 2016 E250 BT, 2000 Jetta TDI
TDI's that simply block off the EGR pipe and dont throw a code more than likely have a bad MAF.

DB

ReferenceDesign

Veteran Member
Here is why plugging or disconnecting the EGR causes a CEL. If you take a look at this output graph notice what happens to the MAF output when the EGR is opened (lower graph).

Notice that when the throttle (blue) begines to open the EGR is opened. and as the throttle goes to 100% the EGR is closed. When the EGR opened it let in exhaust gas so the MAF output dropped. The ECU looks for the drop in MAF output when it applies EGR. No drop then it figures the EGR is defective and throws a code.

The devices you describe take the vacuum or the electrical signal to the vacuum modulator for the egr and use it to electrically drop the output of the MAF sensor. This keeps the ECU fooled into thinking the EGR has affected the MAF output.

Boundless

BANNED
Yes, there were numerous complaints about the Epsilonian device. It went the way of the Yugo & Edsel.

But has anyone tried this yet: EGR FIX ?

Karmann-diesel

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta, 2000, Canyon Red
I took my EGR valve & intake manifold out yesterday & they were both clogged badly. I recently had the EGR dialed down via VAG-COM & am looking over all the CCV possibilites to try to keep this from happening again. Well all that digging, scraping & cleaning has got my brain moving. I'm just talking out loud here but it seems that a block off plate or a race pipe can cause a cel because the ECU wants to see the EGR valve opening & closing.

What if you did this...
Take the flex tube from the EGR cooler & find a suitable air filter housing it could be matched up with. Now that your not using the air from the EGR cooler you really don't need the EGR cooler as far as I can tell. I think its only purpose it to cool the exhaust gas to keep the temp. of the combustion air down. So if you remove the EGR cooler & put a block off plate on the exhaust manifold you have some room to work. Loop the coolant lines together & install the new air filter somewhere back there. Then when the ECU wants the EGR valve to open it does, but it draws in fresh somewhat cooler air rather than exhaust gas. Its a definate maybe.

Boundless

BANNED
Karmann,

If I understand your mod, when the EGR opens, it will blow out boosted air.

And since the ECU modulates the EGR rate, I think the ECU looks for changes in MAF flow to correspond with changes in commanded EGR changes. In other words, I think it could still end up with a cel.

Karmann, check out that link I posted right before you.

JoeDiesel

Veteran Member
I don't have access to a Vag Com to do the EGR mod, I tried the Epsilon device but didn't like its side affects. I'd really like to keep the intake from clogging up, is just removing the vacuum hose going to cause any problems with performance? I don't care about the CEL

eetsoot

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta, 2002, galaxy blue
I have a 2002 Jetta manual with the egr dialed down and the hose disconnected with no CEL light. I've done this to a couple of other cars they got a light. All those vehicals were automatics. DBW was explaining that I don't get a light because my MAF is on it way out. When I test the MAF via the Bently method I get well over 900 and 800 is the cut off. Seeing how my warranty is about to expire I will do one more MAF test to see if I should try to aquire a new one from VW. Who knows, my MAF could be doing a slow crawl to the grave.

Who else is running with a disconnected egr and is not getting a light?

Karmann-diesel

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta, 2000, Canyon Red
Boundless, You make a good point about the boost pressure in the intake tract at the EGR valve. There is a chance that if you had an air filter hooked up instead of the tube coming from the EGR cooler, the higher pressure inside the intake could cause air to be blown out the filter when the EGR opens, which is not what I was looking to accomplish. I wanted to see a system where the ECM signals the EGR valve to open & looks for the input from the MAF to verify that the EGR has opened, except instead of exhaust gasses you would be drawing in fresh air. The ECU would be satisfied because it would see the correct signal from the MAF & this could keep me away from all the CEL trouble people have had with the other EGR devices. But I still have many questions. During normal operation the EGR valve opens & exhaust gasses enter the intake rather than intake air entering the EGR cooler. To do this I think either 1. The air in the EGR cooler is under pressure or 2. At the time of the EGR opening the boost level in the intake is so low that air is drawn in rather then going out. I'm really not sure. I guess the air in the EGR cooler is under some pressure as it is hot exhaust gas looking to expand. But its coming from the exhaust manifold pre-turbo & its on the turbine side of the Turbo anyway. I wonder what the pressure in the EGR cooler is? Also I've picked up that the EGR valve is at its most open position at idle, which would correspond with low/no boost pressure in the intake.

I guess to really understand how this works I would need a turbo boost gauge, a way to read when the EGR was opening & closing & a way to measure PSI in the EGR cooler.

What do you think?

mailman

Veteran Member
TDI
99.5 Black Jetta TDI
99.5 5-Speed Jetta. EGR vacuum line disconnected. No CEL. Intake manifold removed and now pristine clean. MAF shows signs of intermittent weakness. Need to test MAF with VAG-COM.

Did I miss anything??