Long trip question

2002tdi

Vendor
TDI
2012 jetta premier DSG
My wife my self and 2 children are packing up for about a 7 hour road trip from NW ohio down to tennesse. 2015 passat Tdi about 15,500 miles on it. anything i should check before making the trip down? oil was changed right at 9,900 miles. tires have been rotated every 5k miles. just wondering if there is anything i should do before leaving? my wife is a service advisor at a VW dealership (which currently does not have a master VW tech.... odd i know) Just trying to be ahead of the ball game.

sohccammer427

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Passat SE TDi 6 Speed Manual
Tire pressure for sure. Other than that just the normal stuff.
Oil level, wiper fluid, take a look at the brake fluid level. If it's a DSG check the fluid level. The battery is now maintenance free. No H2O to have to add. :)
Stash a bottle of 507 oil in your trunk and I'd bring along some AdBlue in the Kruse bottle just for peace of mind.
Other than the that, enjoy your road trip! Ohh and bring something to keep the two young ones occupied. They can get fidgety in a couple of hours. :p Ask me how I know. ;)

showdown 42

Veteran Member
TDI
2016 TDI touareg
Tires and go. You have a good of warnings for all the other stuff. Car is not broken in yet,have a fun drive. Ipads are your best friend on a long trip for kids.

2002tdi

Vendor
TDI
2012 jetta premier DSG
2 Ipad mini's for the haul. hoping they will sleep the first part of the trip and enjoy the view of the mountains once we get near.

JaredC01

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Passat SE - 6MT
Made a 12 hour trip from St. Louis to Pensacola Beach with 3 adults and a car full of luggage, just topped off the fluids and drove. Ended up with a 48.2 MPG (hand calc) trip down to include a bit of city driving on the island, and an average speed of 5 MPH over the limit (following traffic). Oh, and it made the whole trip there on a single tank of fuel (total of 716 miles, with just over 1/8th tank left).

jrm

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat SE with nav (totaled)
no need to check the dsg unless you see large oil leaks.

jrm

Veteran Member
TDI
you should be able to just jump in and drive with only 15K on it :) I just mistakenly won a military auction and had to drive 2200 miles over my 2 day weekend. I just jumped in my 20 year old Dodge truck in the sig and hit the road. :)

GuyGuy

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Passat Comfortline DSG
Yep, probably the most important right now is tire pressure!! Drove down to Fl from Ottawa Canada a couple years ago. 3 adults and 2 kids, car loaded to the t*ts with a big ass thule roof rack! average speed was about 130km/h (80mph). AC on the hole time Total engine run time was 70 hours over 9 days and averaged 6.2L/100k (38mpg) and 6300kms (3900miles)

Last edited:

Trade Wind

Veteran Member
TDI
RIP 2012 Passat SE 6 spd MT
Just back from a 1900 mile round trip to Nashville. Small pillow for left arm rest. It is too low for a long trip. Also, I found a way to hang my iphone (used for navigation, my Passat does not have Nav) from one of the dashboard vents. Keeps it in view, upright, and out of the way while plugged in. That, plus pay up your Sirius radio, and an SD card full of tunes, you should be good to go!

aja8888

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Out of TDI's
With children in the car, map out potty stops ahead of time. McDonald locations are my favorite as they have great coffee. Kids like them too. Usually they are right off the freeway for easy off and on again.

jrm

Veteran Member
TDI
With children in the car, map out potty stops ahead of time. McDonald locations are my favorite as they have great coffee. Kids like them too. Usually they are right off the freeway for easy off and on again.
decent salads too, heck I preferred the salad at MD's better than inside Disneyland :D

mejpassat

TDI
2015 Passat TDi (NOS), 2014 passat TDI (Buy back), 2001 Tdi Golf (Gifted to Son)
Just got back from a trip from Laredo, TX to home, Central California. Best tank GPM was 48.3. Speeds were 85 through Texas, 75 through NM and AZ, 75 through CA.
First real long trip and it was comfortable. First car I have owned that I can do 14 hrs in comfort.

psd1

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta 2013 Passat SE 6Man
you should be able to just jump in and drive with only 15K on it :) I just mistakenly won a military auction and had to drive 2200 miles over my 2 day weekend. I just jumped in my 20 year old Dodge truck in the sig and hit the road. :)
What did you win? :eek:

hey_allen

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Jetta TDI
One thing that I made sure was working before I took a long trip last year was the cruise control. I ended up replacing the turn signal stalk on the steering column at my first overnight stop since a shop had them in stock.

I credit having cruise on for the improvement from mid 40's MPG to the 52MPG average for that trip, even in the middle of winter and over a mountain range in the snow after dark.