Anyone running water/meth injection

garth285

TDI
2013 Passat TDI
Anyone running water/meth injection on their NMS passat tdi's?

I have been debating this for a little, I have used water injection on my 7.3 ford before and I know how great it is for cooling the engine and EGT's

Wondering if anyone has tried it out on a NMS TDI?

garth285

TDI
2013 Passat TDI
It has been around for almost 100 years.

You can piece together a kit for around $250

cooler intake temperatures, claims of better MPG, depending ont he mixutre of water/meth you can have some decent HP and Tq gains.

garth285

TDI
2013 Passat TDI
OK guys well figured I would give an update, I ran a D03 nozzle pre turbo at 100psi on the dyno yesterday.

I ran it with 50/50 distilled water/VP M1 methanol

The car did not pick up a single horsepower at all

Going to put the spare intake elbow back on and leave this car alone until I can get a tune or just leave it completely alone performance wise.

I did do a little test to see if it picks up any power without a airbox lid on and it did not pick up any peak hp what so ever but it looks like the turbo spooled a little quicker and gave some very low RPM gains

LokiWolf

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SEL
OK guys well figured I would give an update, I ran a D03 nozzle pre turbo at 100psi on the dyno yesterday.

Going to put the spare intake elbow back on and leave this car alone until I can get a tune or just leave it completely alone performance wise.

I did do a little test to see if it picks up any power without a airbox lid on and it did not pick up any peak hp what so ever but it looks like the turbo spooled a little quicker and gave some very low RPM gains
Good info. Homemade kit, or off the shelf?

Can you post the graphs?

garth285

TDI
2013 Passat TDI
Home made kit, theres really nothing to show on the dyno charts as it was identical as stock. We even did a 1/8th mile simulation and it was the same exact time on the dyno with and without it.

Here is a dyno of stock vs open intake with no peak power gains at all:

garth285

TDI
2013 Passat TDI
Hobbs pressure switch can activate the relay, as far as logic there is plenty of articles online explaining the benefits of water/meth injection.

There are people who claim this nozzle location and 50/50 mix will add power but as far as I am concerned there was ZERO gains.

So far I have found the CRTD2 box from TDI tuning is full of ****, open airbox adds ZERO hp and 50/50 water meth does not add any power. I might have to pony up the $1,100 for a Malone tune I suppose!

LokiWolf

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SEL
Hobbs pressure switch can activate the relay, as far as logic there is plenty of articles online explaining the benefits of water/meth injection.

There are people who claim this nozzle location and 50/50 mix will add power but as far as I am concerned there was ZERO gains.

So far I have found the CRTD2 box from TDI tuning is full of ****, open airbox adds ZERO hp and 50/50 water meth does not add any power. I might have to pony up the $1,100 for a Malone tune I suppose!
I am well aware of the logic and benefits of water/meth. I was asking what your logic was. As in when are you triggering the spray? Triggered by PSI? Try different nozzles?

Also, I am glad you have tried this on a stock vehicle, but honestly I wouldn't expect much gain on a stock tune. The stock tune is VERY tight on what it allows.

All of my experience with water/meth has been on tuned engines.

There is not better bang for the buck on our cars than the Engine/DSG tune from Malone. Made my car genuinely fun to drive!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

VeeDubTDI

Wanderluster, Traveler, TDIClub Enthusiast
TDI
‘18 Tesla Model 3D+, ‘14 Cadillac ELR, ‘13 Fiat 500e
I'm not surprised at all that there is zero gain with water/meth.

JEtDI1382

TDI
2006 Jetta
I'm surprised but what do I know. Although Banks is happy with their new water injection on the deramax but it is tuned and supercharged. There has to be some good that comes from it even if it's a cleaner/cooler running engine. More testing and tuning cause I think your on to something.

LokiWolf

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SEL
Garth still hasn't come back and told us details of when he was triggering, and did he try different nozzles. He made the system himself, he did not get one of the manufactured systems.

Also, the factory tuning has many checks and balances, and I would guess it is pulling fuel because of the Meth. I am curious if he ran it for a tank of normal driving if his MPG would go up, because the Meth was taking the place of Diesel.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

matteo2u

TDI
2013 Passat TDI 6M
Anyone made any headway on a meth injection strategy for our Passats?

I am gearing up to work on the water/meth phase of the kit I proposed in this other thread (This may perhaps be the only publicly offered kit - no exhaust components).

I will be making an aluminum multi-port injection pipe that replaces the high-pressure EGR valve. The control strategy at this point will be based on MAF signal using an inline wiring harness at the MAF sensor (sourced from an existing AEM intake kit). The injection hardware would all come from AEM Electronics (now a separate company), while AEM Induction Systems would provide the pipe and mounting hardware.

matteo2u

TDI
2013 Passat TDI 6M

As to whether or not water/meth injection would make power on these cars, I can't see any reason why it wouldn't just the same as it has for heavy duty vehicles. Perhaps there's a torque or power limiting feature of the stock tune that just pulls fuel or fuel timing when it knows it's producing over a certain threshold? That would explain why tuned vehicles would experience a gain from injection and stock wouldn't. The air density and combustion catalyst benefits are still being realized, but the stock tune is compensating for them?

turbobrick240

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2011 vw golf tdi(gone to greener pastures), 2001 ford f250 powerstroke
Yeah, generally water/meth injection is used in conjunction with tunes that increase fueling and boost. The injection allows for the greater fueling and boost by keeping temps. and cylinder pressures in the safe zone.

Whitbread

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
Several
While not a passat, I'm a dealer for Aquamist and put a system on my 335D. This dyno was with 700CC of 50/50 w/m, just added another nozzle for about 1100cc total, I can feel there's a definite power increase with the additional nozzle.

W/m on vs off

Spike_africa

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat TDI/w DSG
I ran a coolingmist.com kit in my 06 Jetta and it was great. Kept the intake track clean, kept the EGT down when hammering on it in hot FL, and you could feel the power boost. I ran a pretty aggressive 70/30 Meth to water ratio. That car with just a tune and drop in filter with the meth on, is faster then this 13 Passat with a tune.