My 1200 mile road trip with Adblue issues

area3TDI

TDI
'13 passat TDI 6MT
Had to drive from Chicago to Pelican Rapids, MN and back. Plan was to leave and get there Sunday, sleep over and back home Monday night. Didn't work out that way though.

Left Chicago around noon. Brutal driving conditions, snow etc. -7C. 200 miles into the trip (-17C) Adblue light with wrench lights up and warns me I only have 200 mile range. No restart possible after. Thought that was weird since car had 16,5xx miles on it. Check engine light also on.

Stopped by first fuel station, bought Adblue and filled about 1.5 gallons to no avail - lights still on.

I continued my drive and computer eventually counted down to 80 miles range before the Adblue warning disappeared. Check engine stayed on.

8 hours into the trip, temperature dropped to -31C, when I had to get off expressway. The car was LOUD. Clutch pedal STIFF, barely returning up past half way point.

During fuel up, I did not turn it off. Engine temperature needle drastically dropped during this brief 5 min fueling session. Once back driving, temp rose to operating level quick.

At my destination, I couldn't risk turning off my car and being stranded (after reading a few horror Adblue stories) and left it running for about 2.5hours before heading back to Chicago.

During whole drive back to Chicago outside temps consistently in -27c to -30c range. Noticed the car would start overheating every once in a while (perhaps during regens?). I feel like turning the heat on max High helped get some of the heat out of engine. Needle was quick to react - climb and drop. No scan gauge but at highest point, it was easily 4-5 ticks past 190 (mid point).

It tried overheating maybe 10 times during trip back. To remedy, I would drop speed from 73 to about 65 and turn heat on high - which almost immediately dropped engines temp.

Coolant level at MIN, as it was from day 1.

Total miles driven: about 1200.
Total time car continuously ran: 21.5 hours.
All during Extreme cold temps.

Once home, car restarts no problem. MIL still on though.

Comments and ideas on Adblue issues and engine temp variations please.

Car is scheduled for service today.

Last edited:

Ramairetransam

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Passat TDI
when you added the adblue did you have the vehicle off , add the def fluid and then turn the key to on for 30 seconds so the adblue level can reset to the new level ?

TypeRod

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SEL Prem.
That is one hellified road trip! lol! Please keep us updated with what the dealer finds. I'm curious to know what is the root cause of these issues. Good luck!

mrp

TDI
2014 Passat SE
Who else is having AdBlue issues?

Read the last two pages of this Thread:Who else is having AdBlue issues?

Basically the adblue tank freezes into slush or solid at subzero temps--- and the warning comes on in as little as an hour. The tank heater should melt enough after 2 hours of driving for the system to function.

Go to dealer to have the code cleared and documented so you can get a free rental car until a fix is made. It's my understanding that VW HQ is all over this one.....if not then i guess it's up to the NTSB.

Jayg

Veteran Member
TDI
'12 Jetta 6MT-VW bought back as a lemon
Wow, what a stressful trip! Good luck getting it all sorted.

tango_28

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 JSW(sold 2011) , 2009 JSW RIP 1-5-2013, 2011 JSW
My in-laws are having the same issue, they were going to Ft Myers, FL from Woodbury, Mn. Now their 2014 Passat is back at the Stealership. They got 2 hours into the roadtrip and all the warning lights start come on.

Last edited:

dzcad90

Rolex & gin
TDI
Jetta - 97 (RIP), '03 (Sold), '09
Wrong agency, but NHTSA might have something to say
Probably not even them. This isn't an issue that's going to cause a safety issue - the car will keep running and driving just fine if there's no AdBlue. Once you park it though, you're screwed. The NHTSA pretty much stops caring once it's parked.

superchud

TDI
2013 VW Passat TDI SE w/ Sunroof (DSG)
Probably not even them. This isn't an issue that's going to cause a safety issue - the car will keep running and driving just fine if there's no AdBlue. Once you park it though, you're screwed. The NHTSA pretty much stops caring once it's parked.
The FTC Consumer Protection Agency could step in where the NHTSA stops or the Justice Department could file suit.

tdiatlast

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 Sportwagen (boughtback); 2014 Passat TDI SEL (boughtback)
O...M...G...a couple of AdBlue issues, and someone wants to sue? Are you kidding me?

Folks, we're having a record cold snap. Period. VWoA will address the issue. It will require some tweaking, as in a more robust AdBlue heater. Might require a beefier wiring harness. I don't know, but it's much too early to start talking about any action from our (much despised by some here!) government.

The sky is NOT falling (unless you consider snow as falling sky...).

dzcad90

Rolex & gin
TDI
The FTC Consumer Protection Agency could step in where the NHTSA stops or the Justice Department could file suit.
Perhaps the President could issue an executive order ;)

I'm pretty confident it won't go that far and we'll see a resolution from VW. In all honesty I believe this to be an issue that only crops up in EXTREMELY cold temperatures, that falls outside of the 98th percentile of operation. I don't recall issues like this cropping up in the winters of 2011 or 2012, but we didn't see the extreme cold like we're seeing now. I think we'll see a resolution for this because the fix isn't (shouldn't be..) thousands of dollars per car in parts and labor like other high profile issues that VW has had.

With that being said, it's no excuse for the AdBlue system to freeze up like this, but I'm going to guess that VW didn't test it in cold temperatures as we've seen lately - these temperatures are out of the norm for the majority of people buying TDIs. It may have been tested to -5F with the assumption that it will work at lower temps. Again, it's no excuse for the failure, but sometimes it's just hard to test in those type of real-world conditions.

unixb0y

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat Comfortline 6MT Nav
Not sure about DEF. I havn't had a problem at -30C

As for the coolant problem, there is a TSB in Canada to flush the coolant in the car because it wasn't mixed properly from the factory for northern climates.

Test the coolant to see what it's rated at with something like http://www.amazon.com/Prestone-AF-1420-Antifreeze-Coolant-Tester/dp/B000BOA9RY

Had to drive from Chicago to Pelican Rapids, MN and back. Plan was to leave and get there Sunday, sleep over and back home Monday night. Didn't work out that way though.

Left Chicago around noon. Brutal driving conditions, snow etc. -7C. 200 miles into the trip (-17C) Adblue light with wrench lights up and warns me I only have 200 mile range. No restart possible after. Thought that was weird since car had 16,5xx miles on it. Check engine light also on.

Stopped by first fuel station, bought Adblue and filled about 1.5 gallons to no avail - lights still on.

I continued my drive and computer eventually counted down to 80 miles range before the Adblue warning disappeared. Check engine stayed on.

8 hours into the trip, temperature dropped to -31C, when I had to get off expressway. The car was LOUD. Clutch pedal STIFF, barely returning up past half way point.

During fuel up, I did not turn it off. Engine temperature needle drastically dropped during this brief 5 min fueling session. Once back driving, temp rose to operating level quick.

At my destination, I couldn't risk turning off my car and being stranded (after reading a few horror Adblue stories) and left it running for about 2.5hours before heading back to Chicago.

During whole drive back to Chicago outside temps consistently in -27c to -30c range. Noticed the car would start overheating every once in a while (perhaps during regens?). I feel like turning the heat on max High helped get some of the heat out of engine. Needle was quick to react - climb and drop. No scan gauge but at highest point, it was easily 4-5 ticks past 190 (mid point).

It tried overheating maybe 10 times during trip back. To remedy, I would drop speed from 73 to about 65 and turn heat on high - which almost immediately dropped engines temp.

Coolant level at MIN, as it was from day 1.

Total miles driven: about 1200.
Total time car continuously ran: 21.5 hours.
All during Extreme cold temps.

Once home, car restarts no problem. MIL still on though.

Comments and ideas on Adblue issues and engine temp variations please.

Car is scheduled for service today.

tadawson

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SEL, 2015 Passat TDI SEL
As I have noted before, on other diesels, DEF freezing is to be expected. The trick is not to prevent freezing (pretty much impossible) but rather how to manage the condition. Other platforms heat the tank bottom and lines to get usable flow, which does not require thawing the entire tank. Looks like VW is trying this too, not sure what is failing . . .

- Tim

area3TDI

TDI
'13 passat TDI 6MT
A quick update: Dealer called today saying they've been on the phone with VW the whole day to "try to figure it out." Apparently, the code car is throwing is one they cannot recognize - don't know what it is, but "it's definitely messing up the whole system" as he said.

Personally, it sounds like they're pulling my leg, but I'll keep calm for now.

As far as my overheating issue - what do you guys think? It was ridiculously cold out, highway speeds and the car tried overheating about a dozen times. I'm talking the needle moved up to 4-5 notches past mid point! And this was ONLY during trip back to Chicago.

dzcad90

Rolex & gin
TDI
Overheating at the outside temps we were experiencing would lead me to believe you may have a bad thermostat.

When it's this cold out, it's usually difficult for diesels to maintain temp, let alone overheat.

area3TDI

TDI
'13 passat TDI 6MT
well, i got my car back today. service guy said they had to drop the whole adblue system to see if its a voltage problem or ??? had to constantly go back and forth (phone and email) with VW. finally, in the end, he said VW admitted there is an issue with our adblue system (like everyone has already figured out) below -20F. so according to VW, per this service guy, -20F is the limit.

he says as of now, he does not know of any plans for future fixes or tsb's. frustrating, but happy to have my car back with no check engine lights.

BUT......checked coolant level and found it EXCESSIVELY overfilled, literally almost to the top. pissed about that. gonna be extracting it out tomorrow with a turkey baster - at this point i dont want wanna deal with dealer again. seems like they cant do anything right.

VeeDubTDI

Wanderluster, Traveler, TDIClub Enthusiast
TDI
‘18 Tesla Model 3D+, ‘14 Cadillac ELR, ‘13 Fiat 500e
Were the roads snowy and sloppy on your way back from CO? If so, your front fascia may have gotten caked in ice and blocked airflow over the radiator stack.

Were you climbing large hills during the overtemp conditions? It has been well documented that the Passat runs hot (seemingly intentionally) when under high load like when climbing mountains.

area3TDI

TDI
'13 passat TDI 6MT
No snow and no hills / mountains. Wasn't towing anything either. Just me and one passenger.

Took out excess coolant yesterday with turkey baster. Almost two full .5l water bottles overfilled.