Fender audio, do u like it so far?

JackMars

TDI
2015 Touareg TDi Highline R type
So far I'm not to happy with the performance of Fender audio system in my VW. Lot's of distortions and low frequency vibrations in the trunk. Some bolts must be loose or what? Shakes like hell.

APT

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Passat SEL
My rear deck rattles a lot, even with the radio off. Some people are getting that fixed at the dealer, some have tackled it on their own. Tighten the bolts holding the subwoofer up as a start.

The actual sound performance is pretty good, the best OEM system I have owned. Mid-range could be a bit better. What source for music are you using? What are you comparing it to?

Aja1

TDI
2012 Passat TDI SEL
So far I'm not to happy with the performance of Fender audio system in my VW. Lot's of distortions and low frequency vibrations in the trunk. Some bolts must be loose or what? Shakes like hell.
These don't sound like Fender system issues. I find the sound quality to be excellent. Note that I'm not someone who requires bazooka style bass. I like classic rock and Jazz. I find the bass more than adequate. It appears to be tuned so that voices are presented in the front soundstage which I like. I also love the ability to play DVD's (including high resolution DVD-Audio disks)...now I don't have to be stuck on the couch to hear a concert.

All that being said, I have some vibrations in the passenger door that drive me nuts and I hope that they can fix at the 10,000 mile service.

I give VW credit in that using the Fender name was a creative way to cut costs. The system is made by Panasonic, but "tuned" by Fender. This is surely a cheaper relationship than using Dynaudio speakers and equipment.

dachman1

TDI
2012 Passat SEL TDi
Mine sounds great, albiet a few rattles here and there sometimes. I recognize that the audio source makes a huge difference. If I find myself listeing to Sirius for a long time... it sorta sucks. Put in a CD and the thing rocks.

Aja1

TDI
2012 Passat TDI SEL
Mine sounds great, albiet a few rattles here and there sometimes. I recognize that the audio source makes a huge difference. If I find myself listeing to Sirius for a long time... it sorta sucks. Put in a CD and the thing rocks.
Agree!

ColoradoDriver

Veteran Member
TDI
Previously: 2012 Candy White Passat TDI SEL. Sold back to VW. Now: Only gas vehicles, including 2017 Passat V6 SEL Premium
I think the Fender system is fantastic in my 2012 TDI SEL. Best sound ever in an owned vehicle. Better than Mercedes and Audi premium sound. No rattles, either. My car was built in late April, so they may have corrected the rattle issues by then.

jumpinjoe

TDI
2012 passat tdi
Likewise. My iPod plays much better sound thru the system than the radio.

TDI_Ryan

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SEL Premium
I don't own a Passat TDI yet, but I'm ordering a 2013 model soon. I've heard the Fender system, and I think it sounds really nice for a factory system, but the Bluetooth mono issue raises a lot of concern. That's a HUGE deal to me. I hope they fix that for next year.

dachman1

TDI
2012 Passat SEL TDi
I don't own a Passat TDI yet, but I'm ordering a 2013 model soon. I've heard the Fender system, and I think it sounds really nice for a factory system, but the Bluetooth mono issue raises a lot of concern. That's a HUGE deal to me. I hope they fix that for next year.
The bluetooth mono is not an issue if you have an SEL TDI with the RNS-510.... just fyi. Mine plays perfectly. I think the issue pertains to the RCD-510 mostly. Not positive though.

Last edited:

Sharky

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Golf TDI manual, 2012 Passat TDI manual
The bluetooth mono is not an issue if you have an SEL TDI with the RNS-510.... just fyi. Mine plays perfectly. I think the issue pertains to the RCD-510 mostly. Not positive though.
No issues either in the RCD310 (Canada). Bluetooth Audio works great.

APT

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Passat SEL
The BT mono seems to be isolated to some RCD 310/510. Never read about RNS510 in the SEL having this problem.

Dynodon

TDI
Passat SEL
my 2014 Passat TDI SEL has the Fender system, great bass, but ZERO front sound stage. All sound comes from the far left and right. Any sound intended to come from the center, instead comes from the left and right, no center sound stage. This was a big selling point from Fender and VW, and I complained, the dealer could do nothing, zone rep never even listened to my car and VW customer service said they looked into it, but the systems are working properly. I confirmed that two other Passats had the same problem. Classic reversed phase in at least one or more speakers. A high quality test disk confirmed the problem. VW and Fender, Why won't you do the right thing and look into this? Why did I spend big money for a sound system that has a worse sound stage presence than my any other car I have owned with a stereo? If you love quality sound with proper sound stage placement, do NOT buy the Fender system, it will be a constant annoyance. One major artifact of this problem is that when a voice or instrument is supposed to be center stage, the sound appears to be coming from the left on some notes, and the right on others. Like the musician is in front of two mics and is turning the instrument, but this does not happen in my home system (high quality) or any other vehicle, even with rather lousy factory sound, but proper sound stage placement. The one thing the Fender system has is great bass, but it doesn't make up for this major flaw.

rustycat

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 passat sel
my 2014 Passat TDI SEL has the Fender system, great bass, but ZERO front sound stage. All sound comes from the far left and right. Any sound intended to come from the center, instead comes from the left and right, no center sound stage. This was a big selling point from Fender and VW, and I complained, the dealer could do nothing, zone rep never even listened to my car and VW customer service said they looked into it, but the systems are working properly. I confirmed that two other Passats had the same problem. Classic reversed phase in at least one or more speakers. A high quality test disk confirmed the problem. VW and Fender, Why won't you do the right thing and look into this? Why did I spend big money for a sound system that has a worse sound stage presence than my any other car I have owned with a stereo? If you love quality sound with proper sound stage placement, do NOT buy the Fender system, it will be a constant annoyance. One major artifact of this problem is that when a voice or instrument is supposed to be center stage, the sound appears to be coming from the left on some notes, and the right on others. Like the musician is in front of two mics and is turning the instrument, but this does not happen in my home system (high quality) or any other vehicle, even with rather lousy factory sound, but proper sound stage placement. The one thing the Fender system has is great bass, but it doesn't make up for this major flaw.
Yeah, you're right. I have to assume soundstage was not on their check list.
The system is uninvolving. Tone sterile and unremarkable, all other expectations are marginal. I have just given up and accept it as a non audiophile system. My two speaker POS Dodge truck has better soundstaging.
But, I have to wonder why the major whine on this forum. There is nothing anyone can do about it here.

atc98002

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Passat TDI SEL Premium (sold back), 2009 Jetta (sold back), 80 Rabbit diesel (long gone)
I came from the Dynaudio system in my Tiguan, and I don't really notice it being much different as far as staging. The Dynaudio was certainly lacking in bass that the Fender does better. I did note that the Audi Q5 with the B&O audio does a better job, but I believe it has a center speaker in the dash. Not positive about that, though.

pparks1

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SE
Yep, Sirius is just awful as far as sound quality goes. They compress the crap out of it. And it's not just in the VW's, in just Sirius in general.

White Passat

Veteran Member
TDI
CPO 2013 Passat TDI SEL June 2012 build date Purchased 09/14/14
Yep, Sirius is just awful as far as sound quality goes. They compress the crap out of it. And it's not just in the VW's, in just Sirius in general.
Agreed, love mine with CD's. Never had a problem with rattles, balance, fader, speakers. I drive about 20 hours a week and it's usually on. I like the phone integration that mutes the radio when the phone is in use. Agree about Sirius, convenience over quality. And the Sirius stations seem to have a limited repertoire. Hear the same songs too often.

fenderod

TDI
2012 Passat TDI SEL
Swapped out everything except the rear fill speakers and sub. New Dynaudio fronts, Alpine head, Genesis amp, Dynamatted the doors, trunk, and under rear seats. Not a radical difference and gave up some of the OEM BT/nav integration, but enough improvement that I feel it was money well spent. Better soundstage, smoother treble, and fuller, punchier bass.

TDI
2015 Passat TDI SEL Premium
The Fender sounds really good. If anything, it could use more highs. Definitely not MB Quart territory but my JBL system in my Toyota Tacoma has more in the way of high end from its tweeters. The sub is just fine and I have no rattle issues.

Dynodon

TDI
Passat SEL
Yeah, you're right. I have to assume soundstage was not on their check list.
The system is uninvolving. Tone sterile and unremarkable, all other expectations are marginal. I have just given up and accept it as a non audiophile system. My two speaker POS Dodge truck has better soundstaging.
But, I have to wonder why the major whine on this forum. There is nothing anyone can do about it here.
My complaint is because I paid a bunch for the Fender system, and it was advertised as having such a great front soundstage! Test disks show it probably has a reversed polarity in some or all speakers, and VW/Fender/Panasonic etc should make it right. Either they all have their heads in the sand, or are deaf , or they just don't care. I mention it here because those considering buying the car should know what they are NOT going to get with the expensive Fender system. I should have done a much better listening session when test driving, but I didn't think something this basic could be screwed up this bad in a modern car. Not when my '91 SHO JBL system has near perfect front stage sound! :)