Passat Fender Audio Fix @ 6,000 mile Courtesy Check

03-246

TDI
Passat SEL Premium
I'm sure all of you out there with the new Passat Fender audio are also enjoyed the incredible sound quality...but may be frustrated by the long system delays with the 510 touch screen system.....well there's good news! Yesterday I brought my '12 Passat TDI in for the 6,000 courtesy check and VW installed several software updates and the long delays have definitely improved.

03-246

TDI
Passat SEL Premium
No....that was not offered. I have Travel link in my Shelby and love it. I read about it in my Passat owners manual but couldn't find it on the system. Does a tech have to activate or can I do that?

03-246

TDI
Passat SEL Premium
I called Sirius and they said that my radio ID# did not have Travel Link access and to call the dealer. I called my service advisor at the VW dealership and he didn't know anything about Travellink updates. I called VW customer care and they said I'd have to pay extra for Travellink and that it was not part of the free three month trial activation. Sometimes I feel like when you buy a new model car you're in the wild west!

Has anyone successfully activated Travellink during their three month trail? When I bought my Shelby Mustang it all worked from day#1. Frustrating!

03-246

TDI
Passat SEL Premium
Just received a call back from VW Customer Care...rep said that Travel Link is ONLY abale after 3 month trial...and for an additional $3.99/month. How stupid is that? Why wouldn't they open up all features to introduce you to all that Sirius has to offer to get you hooked. Very short sighted of VW. Ford gives 6 months of FULL access.

monstersinc1

TDI
2012 Passat TDI SEL
Just received a call back from VW Customer Care...rep said that Travel Link is ONLY abale after 3 month trial...and for an additional $3.99/month. How stupid is that? Why wouldn't they open up all features to introduce you to all that Sirius has to offer to get you hooked. Very short sighted of VW. Ford gives 6 months of FULL access.
Actually, this answer is not 100% correct. The answer depends on when you bought your SEL w/RNS-510 and/or when it was produced. I just got mine last Friday and it had Travel Link already enabled (car was built in Jan.). If you got yours sometime before December you probably don't have Travel Link enabled because it required newer firmware.

monstersinc1

TDI
2012 Passat TDI SEL
Also, Travellink is actually $1.99 per month. Refer to http://www.siriusxm.com/travellink/pricing

03-246

TDI
Passat SEL Premium
OK...heard from VW customer care again after asking more questions. Earlier model Passats do NOT have the firmware in place to support Travel Link...they are aware of the problem and will eventually release an update. Newer model Passat's (i.e. December of later production date) no longer have voice activated Bluetooth but how have access to Travel Link.

tdiatlast

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 Sportwagen (boughtback); 2014 Passat TDI SEL (boughtback)
...hmmm...I'd rather have the voice activated Bluetooth, but I guess they just couldn't figure out how to make it work...

MyAvocation

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2017 Passat SEL TSI
Did you ask if they're going to fix voice over Bluetooth, or are we stuck without it. Too bad Microsoft doesn't offer Sync to cars other than Ford.

LuckyBob

TDI
Passat TDI 2012
Sirius Travel Link / Fender Radio

I'm sure all of you out there with the new Passat Fender audio are also enjoyed the incredible sound quality...but may be frustrated by the long system delays with the 510 touch screen system.....well there's good news! Yesterday I brought my '12 Passat TDI in for the 6,000 courtesy check and VW installed several software updates and the long delays have definitely improved.

The Fender Audio system is the best thing about the car, the Navigation and slow response is the worst thing about the car. Since we cannot get Sirius Travel link in Canada anyway then I'm ok with keeping the voice commands which I can make work just fine for Navigation.

TomB

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Audi TDI Prestige Sport
Thanks for the information. I will make sure they apply it for the slow response at my 90 day follow up.

As well Travelink is available on mine (production 12/12/2011), I just have to pay for it. :)

I am glad to see that they are addressing all the "little" issues right away. Seems like they are listening to customers this time around. Kind of new for us veteran VW'ers.

Mmhs19

TDI
2013 Passat TDI SEL, 2012 Passat TDI SEL (sold)
This is terrific news! I have my 90-day appointment on Monday and I'll asking (begging, if necessary) for this upgrade.

TheGrove

TDIClub Enthusiast, Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Passat SEL Premium Opera Red - Dieselgate Fix, KermaTDI Tune, 2004 Passat GLS Northern Green-RIP
FYI, while checking last weeks mail last night I received a service notice letter from VW telling me there is an update my radio to the latest version giving me Travel Link access. I guess when I get it serviced in 1,500 miles I'll get that done as well.

compu_85

Gadget Guy
TDI
... None :S
So does that mean you can't dial by voice now? The radio in the rental Kia I had had this feature, and it worked perfectly. I'll be annoyed if my more expensive car can't dial by voice... though I guess my iPhone has voice commands I could use instead.

-J

1gunther1

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat SEL 2012 Passat SEL
This is a good post. I was about to ask how to adjust the touch screen sensativity. It is way to hard now. But this is the easy answer to solve this annoyance.

tdiatlast

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 Sportwagen (boughtback); 2014 Passat TDI SEL (boughtback)
Does anyone have any TSB numbers, or any VWoA number, relating to the RNS-510 updates? My SA claims I've got the latest update (in Feb), but the touch screen delay is still unacceptable. I'll be going in for my 10k service soon, and numbers would be helpful.
Thanks.

TheGrove

TDIClub Enthusiast, Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Passat SEL Premium Opera Red - Dieselgate Fix, KermaTDI Tune, 2004 Passat GLS Northern Green-RIP
Does anyone have any TSB numbers, or any VWoA number, relating to the RNS-510 updates? My SA claims I've got the latest update (in Feb), but the touch screen delay is still unacceptable. I'll be going in for my 10k service soon, and numbers would be helpful.
Thanks.
Some of us have received a letter from VW for Customer Satisfaction Campaign 91i9/V9 to update the software (see post #81). You can also check out post #61 here which shows the update in progress along with the CD/DVD.

GeekDrew

Veteran Member
TDI
None
So does that mean you can't dial by voice now? The radio in the rental Kia I had had this feature, and it worked perfectly. I'll be annoyed if my more expensive car can't dial by voice... though I guess my iPhone has voice commands I could use instead.

-J
Dial by voice will still work; gps/navigate by voice will not.

VWnoob

TDI
2012 Passat tdi sel premium
I have a difficult time, most often, getting the car's voice recognition to understand me, but supposedly, it is capable of adapting, so perhaps it will get better. More often these days, I just use the phone button on the wheel and go to recently dialed to call someone. I also usually have my phone hanging around on the center console, and use it to voice dial sometimes (siri in my case)... that works perfectly.

VWnoob

TDI
2012 Passat tdi sel premium
I have a difficult time, most often, getting the car's voice recognition to understand me, but supposedly, it is capable of adapting, so perhaps it will get better. More often these days, I just use the phone button on the wheel and go to recently dialed to call someone. I also usually have my phone hanging around on the center console, and use it to voice dial sometimes (siri in my case)... that works perfectly.

VeeDubTDI

Wanderluster, Traveler, TDIClub Enthusiast
TDI
‘18 Tesla Model 3D+, ‘14 Cadillac ELR, ‘13 Fiat 500e
Jason has no trouble with the car's voice recognition at all. I, however, can't get it to understand me. I guess I'll need to train it...