Real World MPG with DSG

houstonmacbro

Veteran Member
TDI
Passat TDI SEL
I'm routinely getting 42 mpg measured by Fuelly. I typically drive 65-75 mph in mostly freeway driving. I've put over 7,000 miles on my Passat since I got it in August '12.

RoadRunnerTR21

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Passat TDI SE w/sunroof
I got a PB on this tank with a 47.8 mpg. I could have easily had 800+ on this tank but I've got a 140 mile trip coming up on Monday/Tuesday and it would have put me in a position to fill up at a unknown location. Got to love the fuel mileage on these cars!

Last edited:

pritch272

TDI
2012 Passat TDI SE
FWIW, we have the DSG and got 52 avg over 474 miles on trip to Clearwater, FL from Augusta, GA and 48 on the return trip, doing speed limit + no more than 5 over the limit at times.

Blue_Hen_TDI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
owned: 96 B4V, 06 Golf, 12 NMS, 15 GSW
FWIW, we have the DSG and got 52 avg over 474 miles on trip to Clearwater, FL from Augusta, GA and 48 on the return trip, doing speed limit + no more than 5 over the limit at times.
Very similar to what I got on a recent trip from DE to GA and back. 50+ down and 49+ back. Doing 65ish. 90% highway with some minor in and around in Charleston and Savannah.

VeeDubTDI

Wanderluster, Traveler, TDIClub Enthusiast
TDI
‘18 Tesla Model 3D+, ‘14 Cadillac ELR, ‘13 Fiat 500e
I seem to get really good mileage on I-95. I don't know if it's the wind tunnel from trucks or what...

kjclow

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2010 JSW TDI silver and black. 2017 Ram Ecodiesel dark red with brown and beige interior.
I, on the other hand, typically get poor mileage on I-95 due to always having to sit in the 95 parking lot. Not sure I've ever been on 95 from Florida to Maine without some snafu in traffic.

Jim_NM

TDI
2013 Passat TDI SE, Candy white/cornsilk
Wow, I just took an 850 mile trip. Part interstate, part mountainous 2 lane roads. For various legs, I averaged anywhere from 42 to 45 mpg. On the two-lane roads, I travelled from 40-60 mph and 80 mph on the interstate. Outstanding.

Tragick

TDI
Passat 2012
I am hitting 40k miles tonight on the way home. Purchased the car December 23, 2011. I am getting 41.484 mpgs, doing between 75-85 most of the time.

Edited to change year to the correct one (duh).

Last edited:

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
Don't you mean Dec 23rd 2011? Otherwise you've figured out how to beat the speed of light or something.

Jim_NM

TDI
2013 Passat TDI SE, Candy white/cornsilk
Today while driving to work (35 miles), I babied the car and averaged an astounding 57 mpg. Of course it is downhill from my house all the way (from 6800 feet elevation to 5300 feet). I only saw the high 30s on the drive home.

TDI2000Zim

Veteran Member
TDI
VW hat meinen '14 Passat TDiSE getötet.
I finally saw my car hit 43.4 mpg. I'm impressed.

pkiron

TDI
2012 Passat TDI SEL Premium
I am about to buy a Passat and am trying to decide between a manual and auto. I was dead set on getting the manual having had mostly manuals in the past. I recently drove the DSG and was VERY impressed. Am I making a huge mistake by going with Automatic? What is the "ACTUAL" mpg with the DSG?
I have had mine 6 months, I get 33 in the city and 43 on the highway, with 100% highway 46-47. I have 7000 miles. That's me driving as absolutely as hard as I can. baby it and you will certainly do better.

GammaRae

TDI
2013 Passat TDI DSG SE w/Sunroof
With my first big fill-up @ roughly 50/50 city/hwy, it was 37.9 mpg. That was all in sport & tiptronic modes, so now I'm going to be switching to D to start pushing raising the numbers.

A nice surprise was that the actual crunched mileage was better than what the MFI gave me. :)

Also, filled up at Propel in downtown Seattle with B5. Interestingly, it is cheaper than any dino station within a 3-miles radius by anywhere from 4-cents to 34-cents (B20 is 4-cents more, too). I'll probably move back to dino for the long haul since the stations in my part of the region are 29-cents cheaper than hitting Propel, but wanted to run a tank of it just for kicks.

Blue_Hen_TDI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
owned: 96 B4V, 06 Golf, 12 NMS, 15 GSW
A nice surprise was that the actual crunched mileage was better than what the MFI gave me. :)
What I've found with my MFI is that if I fill where I usually do (just before the needle gets to the red zone), the MFI will be about 1-2% optimistic. If I stretch it a bit and fill with the needle halfway in the red, then the MFI is almost dead on and sometimes even a half percent pessimistic. It seems like the MFI is most accurate when you fill just about when the low fuel light comes on. That's my story and I'm sticking to it. :p

Btw, your mileage numbers are pretty similar to my first couple of tanks. Have fun!

kjclow

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2010 JSW TDI silver and black. 2017 Ram Ecodiesel dark red with brown and beige interior.
I have found a downside to getting 700+ miles per tank. Your windshield gets really nasty! :D I guess I'll have to adjust. ;)
Had to adjust to that when I bought my 2000 beetle. Worst was the rear window because of the angle and no wiper. Fixed that with both the JSW and the Golf:)

GammaRae

TDI
What I've found with my MFI is that if I fill where I usually do (just before the needle gets to the red zone), the MFI will be about 1-2% optimistic. If I stretch it a bit and fill with the needle halfway in the red, then the MFI is almost dead on and sometimes even a half percent pessimistic. It seems like the MFI is most accurate when you fill just about when the low fuel light comes on. That's my story and I'm sticking to it. :p

Btw, your mileage numbers are pretty similar to my first couple of tanks. Have fun!
Hmmm. So with your theory how do we account for MFI being 4% pessimistic? That's what it ended up being. MFI for the tank indicated 36.4, but actual was 37.9. :)

If MFI ends up being that pessimistic for this current tank (and I only have 115 miles on it, but so far at this point I'm better than I was in the first one) I should be at 41 MPG.

This game makes driving both more fun and, for people like me, adds more frustration with the other drivers. ;)

kjclow

Top Post Dawg
TDI
With only two fill ups in, your looking too deeply into this. Your first tank was probably filled by the dealer who may not have topped it up to the same point that you will. My MFI is fairly close over 40,000 miles but I don't look AT&T that closely except for total miles and miles to empty.

GammaRae

TDI
I won't argue with looking too deeply into it (but isn't this basically one of the obsession of this forum?), but both numbers are being derived from fuel-ups/top-offs that I did. My first Fuelly number was from a tank I filled after driving 1/4 tank on the dealer filled tank, so that's not the variable.

None of this is a big deal, to me. It's more of a curiosity thing.

darrelld

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Tesla Model S85, 2017 Chevy Bolt
14 months of ownership, 38 mpg with 85% city driving the DSG, Fuelly numbers speak for themselves.

Last edited:

VeeDubTDI

Wanderluster, Traveler, TDIClub Enthusiast
TDI
‘18 Tesla Model 3D+, ‘14 Cadillac ELR, ‘13 Fiat 500e
49 MPG on the trip up to New Hampshire for Ho5G. :cool:

It was above 50 until we hit NYC. Cruising 65-70 MPH.

mlindner

TDI
2002 Jetta
First year for our TDI with DSG, love it......40 mpg overall average, 45 to 49 mpg on highway. My wife drove to Florida last fall, got into the 90 mph in Georgia and the speed alarm went off, I checked mpg (48). Now 33,000 miles, only problem is the wind and tire noise and crummy Hankook tires. Great car. Mark

phlfly

Banned
TDI
Passat SEL
I did 400+miles trip from N.VA to NE Philly, with city driving avg 43 mpg. I was driving around 75 mph, but at 50-60 mph (beginning of the trip) avg was 48.5 mpg. So I guess the high ground clearance doesn't help with mpg, I'm planning to drop it 1+ inch so it could help a lot on hwy.

two passat man

TDI
2013 passat black on black
Sweet ride

Love the car DSG is great. Got 44 for 750 round trip and got 45 on first half of 1050 trip. Temp has only been in the 20's for most of it. Can't wait for warmer temps. I bought the car to make money and I am making money now.

My2013TDI

TDI
2013 Passat TDI
When you guys fill up, do you stap after the pump automatically clicks off or do your try to squeeze every drop pros single into the tank? I've always been in the habit of tying to squeeze as much as I can the tank, but you'll never get it filled the the exact spot unless you fill until it starts to leak out.

My opinion is that the computer is always right since it probably has a better idea of how much fuel it's burned than I do.

Thoughts?

RoadRunnerTR21

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Passat TDI SE w/sunroof
Diesel fuel foams pretty bad when filling up. The technique I use, FWIW, is use the lowest automatic fuel setting when setting the pump. When it clicks off, wait several seconds for the foam to settle out and then slowly add fuel manually. Repeat this process 3 to 4 times and you will fill your tank.

Lightflyer1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Beetle tdi dsg
It can be filled to the brim without spilling, it just takes some more time to do it. The computer is close but not always right. Add a fuelly account like a lot of us do and you have a record and almost no work and check it against the car itself.

My2013TDI

TDI
2013 Passat TDI
I did sign.up for fuelly, I've been disappointed with the results though since they are off by about 1-3 MPG

I'll try the slower methods to reduce the foam whenever I fill up next.