Bellypan and noise

supton

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'04 Jetta Wagon GLS
I don't know if it's new car envy or what; but it seems like my car simply has more noise than it used to. The Nokian enTyres are all of 6kmiles old; engine cover is still in place--but the bellypan is not. I plan on getting that reinstalled before winter; but I am wondering if that would explain the increase in engine noise. Or might it be something else? I'd think exhaust leaks would be more obvious.

[Front wheel bearings replaced at 105k, rears are original. I don't think one of those is going, although I do seem to have a variety of noises. But the engine noise is kinda intrusive at the moment.]

coalminer16

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Golf 2004
You would be amazed how the sounds can echo around and missing a bottom plate could bounce it just right to make you hear it better.

Strykeviper

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Jetta GLS 5 speed swap, 2002 Jetta Wagon, 2015 Passat SEL, 2013 Jetta Sportwagen
You will notice a difference in noise levels without your bellypan installed. When I bought my 2001 Jetta it didn't have the pan, once I installed an aluminum skid plate it made it considerably quieter in the car.

BobnOH

not-a-mechanic
TDI
New Beetle 2003 manual
in 40 years of driving of driving, I've never seen a motor as vulnerable to damage from minor road hazards as my Jetta.
Put some metal under your motor!

supton

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'04 Jetta Wagon GLS
I've thought about it--but since they finally repaved my road I don't think I *need* one. [Prior to the repave I was thinking of getting an SUV--it was pretty bad...]

I should give that some thought, though--always said I would, then never got around to it. I should probably look into it again, I guess.

coalminer16

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Golf 2004
I would. There is plenty of road gators out there (truck retreads) that you can't always avoid. Someone just posted a few days ago about not being able to avoid hitting it and other then the car jumping up going over it nothing else was wrong. I almost had to hit one as well and I am sure I will someday driving through the cities.

supton

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'04 Jetta Wagon GLS
For some reason I've come across very few 'gators up here. Ice chunks in the road, maybe; although there was this racoon... who is no more...