2010 JSW tire fails! Freeway incident. Second car involved with damage from tire.

Rod Bearing

Veteran Member
TDI
Several
My sales manager has had 2 flat tires in two days. The first was the right front tire last week. He said he had a piece of what looked like some kind of animal bone stuck in the tread. He had it fixed at a local shop by his home. The second one, also the right front, just happened on NE LOOP 820 in heavy traffic. He called me to inform me the tire just blew out into shreds and tore up the fender and rh side of the car. A piece of the tire hit another car beside him and he also stopped without further incident. It even cracked the windshield of the Jetta. The right mirror is apparently gone.

The towing company owner just told be he sees at least 10 of these kinds of incidents per day here.

I wonder how many times per day this happens nationwide.

Lots I bet.

T_D_I_POWER

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'04 VW PASSAT GLS TDI '06 Audi A4 q Avant 6-Spd Sport Pkg
Houston: yesterday, freeway rubble....common occurrence. Texas big city..............:rolleyes:

I'm sorry to hear about this. I hope you bought your tire at Sams, this would be a free tire repair.

Btw, I love your tire. Wher did you get it and how do you like it so far. I'm due for a new set of tires nex year and I'm thinking of getting the same one as yours.

aja8888

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Out of TDI's

TwoTone

Veteran Member
TDI
05.5 Jetta (sold)
I'm sorry to hear about this. I hope you bought your tire at Sams, this would be a free tire repair.

Btw, I love your tire. Wher did you get it and how do you like it so far. I'm due for a new set of tires nex year and I'm thinking of getting the same one as yours.

LOL you can't repair that! No plugs in a sidewall

kutch

TDI
2010 JSW 6-spd
On way south toward Woodstock NY yesterday. Saw no less than three cars with flats. One MB had both front and rear drivers side tires shredded. Hate to have to replace those rims...

Rod Bearing

Veteran Member
TDI
Several
Saw the car a while ago.

Lots of damage in the wheelwell. Bent tie rod end. Brake hose. Wheel. Mirror gone and some body damage around fender opening and on A Pillar beside windshield.

Other car has rubber mark on it from a piece of the tire.

Neither car was rear ended. No other cars involved.

Shall I report this to the NHTSA?

John and the GTi

TDI
United Gray Metalic Golf, 4 Door, DSG, Xenons, Sunroof, Dynaudio, etc
Is the tire that blew out the same one that went flat and was repaired? Whats the chance is was damaged by whatever punctured it, and it should have been scrapped rather than patched the first time? I'd look into if the repair shop is at fault???

TuningIn

TDI
Sold the 2010 JSW
Is the tire that blew out the same one that went flat and was repaired? Whats the chance is was damaged by whatever punctured it, and it should have been scrapped rather than patched the first time? I'd look into if the repair shop is at fault???
That's what I thought when I read "animal bone". Animal bone that can puncture a tire through its tread has got to be big enough that it leaves a hole too large to repair. Also a bone would likely leave more of a gash/jagged hole than a nice round hole like a nail would. Jagged holes shouldn't be fixed because they rip when they give.