Used 2015.

Funguy

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golf Sportwagen dsg and 2015 Passat 6 M/T
No problem just conversation. I purchased a 2015 6 M/T with 11,400 miles on it. From my 02 jetta the car seems huge to me. It was a 900 mile drive home from the dealer. Car did very well in the heavy rain and, the next dry day, it exceeded 50 mpg at 78 mph according to the MFI. My calculations showed about 46 mpg including around town when I got home.

I've been wanting a 6 speed manual for a long time but I keep forgetting to shift to 6th. Then after my wife reminds me to shift I look down five minutes later and cuss thinking I am in 4th until I remember oh yeah that's 6th.

It really bugs me that the computer tells me to shift up too early! I don't need 6th gear at 42 mph with traffic and a hill coming up. 5th makes more sense and I can hear just a little lugging in 6th. Besides if I wanted the car to tell me when to shift I'd have bought a DSG.

All in all though it is a very nice car. More luxury than I am used to. I am keeping the 02 for now to drive in foul weather and fishing but I may post it for sale here in a few months.

Itzed

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Passat TDI SE
Congratulations on the new EA288. Maybe you'll get used to just ignoring the upshift indicator.

jrm

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat SE with nav (totaled)
Then after my wife reminds me to shift I look down five minutes later and cuss thinking I am in 4th until I remember oh yeah that's 6th. [/QUOTE said:
Even worse, I keep throwing my civic into reverse at highway speeds after driving a 6mt for a few weeks- it doesn't go in just grinds like crazy and adds more metal to the amsoil gear oil

Funguy

Veteran Member
TDI
Even worse, I keep throwing my civic into reverse at highway speeds after driving a 6mt for a few weeks- it doesn't go in just grinds like crazy and adds more metal to the amsoil gear oil

Ah crud! I am not going to whine anymore about forgetting 6th. Grinding reverse at speed would make me cry!!

Thanks everyone for the upbeat welcome!!

jrm

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat SE with nav (totaled)
Our town is 1 mile long and on a 4% hill, Even the DSG will lug 4th up that hill at 30mph to the point vibration starts to drive me nuts

Funguy

Veteran Member
TDI
Our town is 1 mile long and on a 4% hill, Even the DSG will lug 4th up that hill at 30mph to the point vibration starts to drive me nuts
Sounds like a beautiful place. My wife's DSG sportwagen will shift early also. Clearly they are trying to max mpg. Of course you can switch to manual mode to compensate though.

therabbittree

Veteran Member
TDI
B4 passat, 2000 Golf, 2003 Allroad tdi
Yes , it's color I want and manual. Did you deal price wise? I offered 20 and dealer would not budge the 800 down. We have one new at dealer close to me but can't sell it yet. Back in the fall I was about to put deposit on it at 21 and change for new, then diesel gate happened . So still waiting lol. Yours made us wonder calif one owner, then sent to auction in Michigan ? No accidents etc.
Keep us updated on the car I hope to have one shortly my self.
Thanks,
Deo

Funguy

Veteran Member
TDI
I didn't like the color at first but they are hard to find in manual so I set my sights on anything except black. I watched this one every day for 42 days. As you said they wouldn't budge on price but they did lower the price a little at a time after several weeks. When they dropped the price to 19,875 I called them and put a deposit down and booked a flight to go get it. In person I like the color just fine. So far the car is perfect. Couple of very tiny TINY nicks which takes pressure off me if you know what I mean.

therabbittree

Veteran Member
TDI
B4 passat, 2000 Golf, 2003 Allroad tdi
That's funny, salesman are strange I told him I would fly out for $20k .They said no just offered $200 toward flight lol . Cool some one who is an enthusiast bought it. Congrats.
Deo

sohccammer427

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Passat SE TDi 6 Speed Manual
Same for me about sometimes forgetting I have a sixth gear. :eek:
I'd prefer it always just display the gear you are in and not tell where you what gear it wants you to be in. A quick glance at the MDF and it shows "6" with the up shift arrow. And if your not paying attention... I don't like that. Be nice if you could thru a controller setting disable the upshift logic display.
But I'm sure after a while, number six will all become part of the routine.
Sometimes if I'm out on the open road I'll just go from 4th straight to 6th.

Funguy

Veteran Member
TDI
I am already skipping gears too. I even go from 3rd to 6th. 3rd to 45 mph and then drop in 6th and cruise at 45 or 50.

Deo I hope you find a beauty. I used a lot of car websites and watched a few cars.

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat SEL, 2017 Alltrack SE; BB 2010 Sedan Man; 2012 Passat,
Same for me about sometimes forgetting I have a sixth gear. :eek:
I'd prefer it always just display the gear you are in and not tell where you what gear it wants you to be in. A quick glance at the MDF and it shows "6" with the up shift arrow. And if your not paying attention... I don't like that. Be nice if you could thru a controller setting disable the upshift logic display.
But I'm sure after a while, number six will all become part of the routine.
Sometimes if I'm out on the open road I'll just go from 4th straight to 6th.

4th to 6th is my job! can't remember the last on ramp I've used 5th.

For the jetta, 5th is for 40-55mph country roads, 4th is 30-45 depending on terrain.