Ross-Tech cables

JdC Machine

Veteran Member
TDI
'13 Passat TDI SEL
I've been doing a bit of reading on Ross-Tech's site regarding differences between the abilites of the Micro-CAN and HEX-USB+CAN interface cables. The chart in this link... VCDS Interfaces ... shows differences between the two.

Aside from the HEX-USB+CAN being compatible with all models from 1990 to current and the Micro-CAN only being compatible with most models from 1990-2002 and newer models that don't require CAN for diagnostics, is there any benefit for somebody like me to spend $100 more for the licensing and HEX-USB+CAN interface over the $250 licensing and Micro-CAN interface?

According to Ross-Tech, the Micro-CAN "Works great with the cars they are compatible with, but not as fast, or as compatible with "difficult" control modules as our Professional-Grade Interfaces." Whereas, the HEX-USB+CAN offers "Instant Connection Speed, Fastest Sample Rates, Greatest Compatibility with "Difficult" Control Modules." Reading about these "difficult" control modules, it seems to be a common issue in older model vehicles so there may not be anything to worry about regarding "difficult" control modules in the 2012+ Passats, correct? I believe the Micro-CAN will do everything I would ever need it to. Therefore, I shouldn't even be considering the HEX-USB+CAN interface. Especially if I only plan to use it on my car alone or if a friend with a compatible vehicle happens to need some help. Hopefully, most of this makes sense to those who read it as I'm sitting at work right now.

Last edited:

Lensdude_com

Veteran Member
TDI
99.5 MK4 Jetta (ALH) "Betty" (sold), 2005 MK4 Jetta (BEW) "Stinky-Pete"
Just as their website states, all you're giving up is TURBO mode with the Micro-CAN dongle so spend the other $100 on a Bentley repair manual.

JdC Machine

Veteran Member
TDI
'13 Passat TDI SEL
Thanks. That seemed to be the only difference worth noting.

If a Bentley repair manual were available for my '13 Passat, I would pick one up.

JdC Machine

Veteran Member
TDI
'13 Passat TDI SEL
Well, I was very much considering that manual after looking through the ad until I noticed "Does not ship to United States."

Herkguy

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 passat SE sun/nav
I am in the same boat, considering both cables. I talked to my neighbor who has an Audi and we may go in together on a cable. Then we both win with faster connection and save at the same time. :D
Do have any friends withan Audi or another vw that would share the cost?
For the manual, go t this site below. You get 24 hours of access for 35.00, it takes about 1.5-2 hrs to download all the manuals and information you could want about our car in PDF. Then put them on a laptop or IPad and take them out to the car with you when working on it. :eek:
https://erwin.vw.com/erwin/showHome.do

JdC Machine

Veteran Member
TDI
'13 Passat TDI SEL
Thanks Herk! I was trying to remember the name of that site! I made an account there a while back in order to do just what you described.

The only friend I know of that has an earlier VW, 2001 ALH I believe, lives over in AZ and he's already set up with everything.

Hunted and pecked from a Galaxy S4.

gforce1108

Top Post Dawg
TDI
04 Jetta GLS BEW, 14 Audi A7 V6 TDI, 13 Porsche Cayenne V6 TDI
Well, I was very much considering that manual after looking through the ad until I noticed "Does not ship to United States."
i bought a version from a US seller a couple months ago. Amazing amount of info.

dzcad90

Rolex & gin
TDI
Jetta - 97 (RIP), '03 (Sold), '09
Did I miss the Mac version or is it non-existent?

A native Mac version does not exist.

A lot of folks have had success running it in a Windows VM with Parallels or Fusion. However, it's not "officially" supported by Ross-Tech. Should you have difficulty with protocol timings, flaky communication, etc.. the first thing they are going to ask you to do is take virtualization out of play.

I wouldn't worry about it though - Macs and virtualization are mature enough that it wouldn't stop me from going forward with it if my only computer were my MacBook. Even if it does FO, you can pick up a capable enough Windows laptop for next to nothing to run VCDS exclusively.