Passat 2013 Temp light FLASHING

Tdi140

TDI
Passat Highline 2013
hi guys
i m the owner of a Passat tdi 2013.
at the beginning of the winter my high temp light turned ON and flashing continualy...
i went t o my dealer et he told me:
hey you re the 50th person with this trouble this week...
you just need to fill up the coolant liquid contenant ti l the level mark...
they did that...just a very few coolant was missing...
so light disappears right after that...
now a month later...same scenario...i ve checked my prestone level and i found this:

for sure it s not normal...do you have same trouble with your passat TDI 2012/2013???
thanks

Last edited:

nord

Veteran Member
TDI
All turned back to VW. Now a 2017 Hundai Tuscon. Not a single squalk in 10k miles.
You have a coolant loss. Check your oil for foaming. Next your exhaust for a hint of sweet smell (antifreeze). Drop the belly pan and have a hard look at the underside of the engine. My guess is a slightly leaking hose connection or a pinhole somewhere in one of the hoses.

Oh... And get a different dealer. Coolant loss is not normal nor acceptable, other than slight variations due to different temperatures.

50 cars with the same problem? Now there's a story if I ever heard one!

Tdi140

TDI
Passat Highline 2013
You have a coolant loss. Check your oil for foaming. Next your exhaust for a hint of sweet smell (antifreeze). Drop the belly pan and have a hard look at the underside of the engine. My guess is a slightly leaking hose connection or a pinhole somewhere in one of the hoses.

Oh... And get a different dealer. Coolant loss is not normal nor acceptable, other than slight variations due to different temperatures.

50 cars with the same problem? Now there's a story if I ever heard one!

well i m going to my dealer tomorrow...still on warranty only 10 000 km!

nord

Veteran Member
TDI
All turned back to VW. Now a 2017 Hundai Tuscon. Not a single squalk in 10k miles.
Best of luck. Be nice, but not too nice. Coolant loss is not acceptable! If your dealer is going to peddle a story have him do it to someone else.

Tdi140

TDI
Passat Highline 2013
went to the dealer, they find a leak on block heater...they replaced it and put pression to check any other leaks nothing according to us...
that happened on Dec 31st, now Jan 2nd temp light starting flashing again and diag tells me check coolant level!!!
i ll go to my dealer tomorrow...to be continued..

DonC

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Passat TDI 2013 Passat TDI SE
That looks like the windshield fluid fill. Not the coolant fill reservoir

Hypermile

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat TDI DSG Comfortline+Sport Pkg
OP, what's your build date? I have a '13 comfortline with out coolant leaks, maybe it's linked to a certain build date?

My build date is 1 MAY 2013.

Keep us posted and GL!