First Test Drive Article - the 2012 VW Passat TDI

abctdi

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2005 Passat GLS
Really? I was joking...
When will it end? 8,9 or 10 speed manuals? Human wear and tear will be the limit no doubt.

shipo

TDI
Shopping for a Golf TDI
I'd love to drive one in the UK and learn to shift it with my left hand. I love a challenge :D
The first time I drove a stick (or anything more complex than a bicycle for that matter) in England I was heading from Heathrow into London, and then out east to Dartford; all on a day when the "powers that be" had decreed a Taxi, Tube, and Bus strike. My biggest challenge was due to the fact that the Fiat Uno I'd rented had the turn signal stalk on the left side of the steering wheel instead of being moved to the right side; made for some interesting hand movements when trying to downshift into a corner and actuate the turn indicators at the same time. :p

BeetleGo

TDIClub Enthusiast, Pre-Forum Veteran Member
TDI
5-door, 5-speed Golf GLS replaced BeetleGo.
7 speed manuals are stoopid. 6 speeds maybe too (makes it difficult to distinguish 4th from 6th, but the extra mpg on the highway is good). Gimme a 5 speed with a little button on the top of the shifter for overdrive.

PlaneCrazy

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Gone...
7 speed manuals are stoopid. 6 speeds maybe too (makes it difficult to distinguish 4th from 6th, but the extra mpg on the highway is good). Gimme a 5 speed with a little button on the top of the shifter for overdrive.
First stick I ever drove, a early-70s Volvo 142E, had a 4-speed manual with an overdrive button on the top of the stick.

I don't find the 6-speed so bad to manage. Even with my left hand in the UK :D

DPM

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2019 Rav4 AWD Hybrid, Citroen C4 BlueHDI
The first time I drove a stick (or anything more complex than a bicycle for that matter) in England I was heading from Heathrow into London, and then out east to Dartford; all on a day when the "powers that be" had decreed a Taxi, Tube, and Bus strike. My biggest challenge was due to the fact that the Fiat Uno I'd rented had the turn signal stalk on the left side of the steering wheel instead of being moved to the right side; made for some interesting hand movements when trying to downshift into a corner and actuate the turn indicators at the same time. :p
The only RHD cars here with the indicators on the right are older Asian cars. Left is normal. What was the problem? You should've been signalling WAY before any downchange...

PlaneCrazy

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Gone...
The only RHD cars here with the indicators on the right are older Asian cars. Left is normal. What was the problem? You should've been signalling WAY before any downchange...
True but to give him the benefit of the doubt, sometimes when you're a bloody tourist you often notice your turn at the last moment. Unfamiliar country, unfamiliar driving position, heavy traffic, can = information overload and last-moment turns. This is especially true if one lets one's directionally challenged wif...er...spouse handle the map and navigation. :eek:

Of course with exeperience you discover you can just whirl around the roundabout until you get your data sorted out and figure out which road to take :D

abctdi

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2005 Passat GLS
He was signaling that he was a tourist, so stay clear!
This happened to me while on vacaton in Grand Cayman a lot. They also have different colors of license plates for rental cars for that purpose.

Last edited:

tdi90hp

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Golf TDI 6 speed(gone but NEVER forgotten)
Well...moving to try to get this thread back on topic...I am ordering my 2012 Passat TDI SEL Premium fully loaded next Tuesday. It may take about 60 - 75 days or so to get but I am looking forward to receiving the car:D

did ya wear out your car with all that Optilube promotion???

securityguy

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 Jetta TDI Sedan
tdi - not replacing the Jetta with a Passat. My wife and I love the Jetta so much that we are looking at the Passat as another diesel to add to the family:D

I believe that the OL-XPD is the reason we love our TDI so much...quiet, smooth and lubricity to spare;)