VW Rejecting Non-Clean Titles?

bizzle

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 GSW SEL (totaled), 2013 Touareg Executive
Bizzle, your keep implying, it seems, that a totaled car is a car removed from service. It is not. It is a car that an insurance company could not afford to repair, but that someone else perhaps can. And since you're against the re-titling of salvaged cars and a VW buyback thereafter, keep in mind it's in the settlement and in the Feb 26 claims sup report.
Your fridge analogy is a based on a false premise. No one is arguing for warranty service on a salvaged car, titled or not titled in any form.
That said I don't remember the specific language in the settlement regarding leased vehicles and a buyback, if there is any, but it would seem strange for VW to have to buy back a car they owned (lessor), that someone wrecked, that was bought up again by someone else. I guess they should have bought it from insurance for the salvage value and then sold it back to themselves in a buyback? That doesn't make sense, of course.
Perhaps I should have been more clear in that my response was limited to buying salvaged title cars that were previous leases. VW Credit owns the vehicle and chose not to put it back into service. After the insurance claim is paid out and the car is officially wrecked, VW doesn't owe anything to any subsequent owners.

yurkin89

TDI
2015 GSW TDI x2
Perhaps I should have been more clear in that my response was limited to buying salvaged title cars that were previous leases. VW Credit owns the vehicle and chose not to put it back into service. After the insurance claim is paid out and the car is officially wrecked, VW doesn't owe anything to any subsequent owners.
In my case also previously leased TDI, CRC (The Claims Review Committee is composed of one representative from Volkswagen, one representative from Settlement Class Counsel, and a Court-appointed “Neutral,” who is called upon to resolve any disagreements between the Claims Review Committee’s other members, should they arise.) disagreed with Volkswagen and said they should buy my car back.

nathanacura

TDI
2002 Jetta TDI
I have the dates but don't have them with me. Salvage wasn't until mid 2017 I think and car was registered and on the road within a month or 2.
I know the date stipulations and my car is 100% inside the rules by miles. It doesn't even say salvage on the title. It has a little note saying that Georgia says it has a salvage title.

Mythdoc

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Touareg, 2015 Q5, 2015 Golf
There should be a video game based on dieselgate where every time a player’s car crashes, it respawns, and VW has to pay for it again.

;)

jeffcapp99

Veteran Member
TDI
Audi Q7 TDI & VW Passat TDI
http://dailycaller.com/2018/04/27/trump-say-nein-to-german-cheap-volkswagen-dump-on-us-market/

Interesting article. A bit off topic, but if VW starts selling all the TDIs in those 37 lots, it will make 'salvage' ones that are not bought back due to paperwork issues virtually worthless. There is a market for TDI cars as they have a great following and are workhorses. But if VW dumps these cars it will sh*tcan the value. Makes you wonder why anyone would have chosen 'fix' instead of buyback.

GoFaster

Moderator at Large
TDI
2006 Jetta TDI
I don't know where that article's writer got the impression that VW wants to dump these cars on the market. VW is fully aware that the market can only accept a slow trickle; it's not in their own interest to dump them all on the market, either, because VW themselves would suffer. Too much supply for the demand means low prices. Evidence on the ground is indicating that VW is only slowly releasing them, and that is as it should be.

TDIforDays

Veteran Member
TDI
few of each 2.0 and 3.0
VW has been selling fixed TDIs at wholesale auctions for months. This is nothing new

Lightflyer1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Beetle tdi dsg

TDIforDays

Veteran Member
TDI
few of each 2.0 and 3.0
Does anyone have any contact information for VW's council? Plaintiff council is no help, I want to contact VW lawyers directly.

TDIforDays

Veteran Member
TDI
few of each 2.0 and 3.0
Don't do that for a variety of reasons--some legal and some which should be plain common sense.
Thanks for your advice, I will take it into consideration.

FYI, I spoke with FTC lawyers and plaintiff lawyer... everyone is human and they say what they can. They are all very careful with what they say, BUT they do talk to people.

TDIforDays

Veteran Member
TDI
few of each 2.0 and 3.0
Actually nevermind. I found all the information in court filings. Emails and phone number.

bizzle

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 GSW SEL (totaled), 2013 Touareg Executive
Of course those attorneys talk to you--they represent a class within which you're a member. Opposing counsel is a different matter entirely. They are ethically and legally bound to zealously represent the interests of their client (VW). Conversations of the type you are proposing have ethical and legal considerations and aside from those you can significantly damage your claim by a slight mis-statement.

Gabero

TDI
'12 Touareg '14 A6
Some hope guys, just got an offer letter for a 3.0 rebuilt title that I have been waiting for months... hope that means there will be lots of approvals coming now!

psd1

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta 2013 Passat SE 6Man
Some hope guys, just got an offer letter for a 3.0 rebuilt title that I have been waiting for months... hope that means there will be lots of approvals coming now!
Excellent news, Is this an offer for a vehicle that had deemed ineligible and removed from the portal or was it stuck in limbo in the portal?

If it was out of the portal was your offer emailed or?

05tdiwagon

TDI
TDI's
Stuck in limbo, never deemed ineligible.
I also received an buyback offer on one of my rebuilt 2.0 TDI this morning. Same story, stuck with all green checkmarks since early November of 2017. Hopefully offers will start coming in for all owners here soon!

psd1

Veteran Member
TDI
I also received an buyback offer on one of my rebuilt 2.0 TDI this morning. Same story, stuck with all green checkmarks since early November of 2017. Hopefully offers will start coming in for all owners here soon!
Excellent news~!

fookin

Veteran Member
TDI
A3
Was your offer full buyback meaning value + restitution? Or did they reconcile a restitution payout to previous owner and offered you value only? Also, was it USPS, email, or a change to your claims portal?

05tdiwagon

TDI
TDI's
Was your offer full buyback meaning value + restitution? Or did they reconcile a restitution payout to previous owner and offered you value only? Also, was it USPS, email, or a change to your claims portal?
Only the vehicle value. I'll include the original email they sent below. Claims portal also changed to "Offer and Acceptance" step 16-17, where you could download the actuall offer letter file. They did mention about the restitution payment saying if the previous owner won't file I might be eligible to receive that as well.

You have been determined to be eligible to participate in the Diesel Emissions Settlement. The settlement package for your claim with reference number, xxxxxx, for VIN xxxxxxxx is now available on the Online Claims Portal.

Please click here to visit the Online Claims Portal and view and download your settlement package. If you would prefer to receive a hard copy of your settlement package (which includes an offer letter and release), please call 1-844-98-CLAIM. Your settlement package will include instructions concerning what steps to take if you decide to accept the settlement offer.

Please note that you will be required to sign the documents in the presence of a notary in order to accept the offer and move to the next step in obtaining your selected remedy.

- All pages of the settlement package must be returned, even pages that do not require a signature.

- All pages of the settlement package must be uploaded as a single document in the Online Claims Portal.

- Signatures are required from all claimants listed on the offer letter.

- Signatures on the release must be notarized.

- The notary seal must be clearly legible.

IMPORTANT NOTE:.

If you are a current vehicle owner, your Settlement Offer for both a Buyback and an Approved Emissions Modification is mileage dependent. Final settlement amounts will be based on the vehicle mileage at the time of the actual buyback transaction or when a modification is performed. Please click here to view a document that explains the various steps in the calculation process and how figures are determined.

Last edited:

jibberjive

Veteran Member
TDI
MK7 GSW
It would be super helpful if you two with successful claims could list a couple of more details for us.

Reading back through your posts in this thread, your car was a clean title, previous lease car that somehow got caught up in this salvage title mess just because of a previous accident, right? It's helpful to see that they are moving forward on the processing of claims, but I doubt many people are in your same situation, unfortunately.

Can you give some more detail on the dates?

1. What date was the car crashed?

2. What date was the car rebuilt and issued a rebuilt title?

3. In which state was the rebuilt title issued?

4. In which state is the title currently issued (if different than #3)?

5. What date did you purchase the car?

Last edited:

jeffcapp99

Veteran Member
TDI
I got 3 offers on my 3 'one off' email accounts today. The email account that has more than one claim did not get any offers today.

All offers where for buyback only. Restitution will be paid at end if original owner did not claim money the way I read it.

Strangely, on all 3 offers were 7 pages, but my last page is 7 of 8. There is no 8 of 8. To quote Jackie Gleason in Smokey in the Bandit - "you dumb sumb*tches (VW) could not close and umbrella". Not sure if it is incompetence or deceitful. I will go with former. The offer letters are dated 4/18/18.

05tdiwagon

TDI
TDI's

Clean title, than accident in June 2017

October 2017

OR

OR

October 2017

jibberjive

Veteran Member
TDI
MK7 GSW
I got 3 offers on my 3 'one off' email accounts today. The email account that has more than one claim did not get any offers today.
All offers where for buyback only. Restitution will be paid at end if original owner did not claim money the way I read it.
Strangely, on all 3 offers were 7 pages, but my last page is 7 of 8. There is no 8 of 8. To quote Jackie Gleason in Smokey in the Bandit - "you dumb sumb*tches (VW) could not close and umbrella". Not sure if it is incompetence or deceitful. I will go with former. The offer letters are dated 4/18/18.
Can you give some more detail on the dates for each of the cars?

psd1

Veteran Member
TDI
Since folks are getting offers could we possibly add if it's a 3.0 or 2.0 and if these were claims that were still in the portal or ones that were deemed ineligible.

Thx

jeffcapp99

Veteran Member
TDI
Since folks are getting offers could we possibly add if it's a 3.0 or 2.0 and if these were claims that were still in the portal or ones that were deemed ineligible.

Thx

All 2.0 for me. I do not own any 3.0 salvage.

All were in eligible period (wrecked after 6/28/16 and repaired and submitted before 2/26/18).