www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > VW TDI Discussion Areas > TDI (Diesel) Emissions

TDI (Diesel) Emissions This is a discussion about emissions from TDI's. Pro's cons of Diesels (including biodiesel) effects on the environment and how they compare to Gasoline and other fuel sources for Internal combustion engines.

Old February 16th, 2010, 00:53   #1
tothemax
Veteran Member

Default Does the magnaflow 2.5" High Flow Diesel Catalytic Converter meet EPA Regs?

http://www.car-sound.com/04basics/04california.asp

Last edited by tothemax; February 27th, 2010 at 23:09.
tothemax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 16th, 2010, 09:02   #2
Growler
Got Soot Vendor

If IDParts doesn't wanna take it back, let me know, I might be willing to take it off your hands.

IDParts site even says that it isnt carb legal in Kalifornia...

Schmutz 2015 GSW S DSG
Schnurren 2001 Golf 2 door.
Growler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 16th, 2010, 09:10   #3
IndigoBlueWagon
TDIClub Enthusiast
Principal IDParts
Vendor
w/Business number

Fuel Economy: 50/45/37

I just added that statement this morning after Pierre brought this to my attention. I'll take it back, sure. It's good in the other 49 states.

The challenge for the OP is if not this, then what? Magnaflow shows no diesel CATs for CARB states. I'm at a loss of where else to look.
Old February 16th, 2010, 11:10   #4
Honeydew
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tothemax

I will look at diesel trucks and see if I can find a 2.5" or 3" one with the correct stamped numbers on it.

P
You might peruse some of the truck forum sites and maybe post a WTB for someone's stock cat. Cat deletes are a really common aftermarket mod when installing turbo-back exhausts. One that comes to mind is the stock cat from the 6.0 Ford (most 7.3s had no cat factory). They are 3.5".

Also a stock Jeep liberty CRD cat might work for you, IIRC those were 2.5". Our liberty was totaled so there's at least one in the scrap yard.
Honeydew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 16th, 2010, 12:32   #5
IndigoBlueWagon
TDIClub Enthusiast
Principal IDParts
Vendor
w/Business number

Fuel Economy: 50/45/37

Quote:
Originally Posted by tothemax
Tnx, I will look into this. I really do not understand this goofball law but the cat may have to specific to the car.

What BS we have to deal with.... these Magnaflow cats are legal all other 49 stated except frickin California... What a F_cked up state I live in........maybe not for long.........I am starting to have my limit with this state full of idiot frikin lawmakers.
I got the impression the CAT does have to be specific to the application. Maybe I'm wrong, however.

And your state is responsible for the CARB rules that drove diesels out of CA, MA, NY, and two other states in '04-06. We should be grateful that VW is willing to make a go of this at all.
Old February 16th, 2010, 15:38   #6
Got Bearings?
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 36 / 50

P, if it's installed, leave it on. The smog tech is NOT going to bother writing the CARB numbers down to cross reference them. All he's going to do is get down on one knee and see if there's a CAT installed. Yes, PASS. NO, FAIL. It's really that simple.

I'm so confident that the tech won't check the numbers that I'll give $50 if he fails you for that reason.
Looking for Battery Cables, better & cheaper than OEM? Click here for info
Got Bearings? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 16th, 2010, 19:07   #7
Honeydew
Veteran Member

P, I just took a close look at the factory VW cat off my 03 TDI (running a magnaflow). Can't find any numbers or identifying marks of any type on it. So, if they are disqualifying the magnaflow maybe its a rule of exclusion, because it is an obvious aftermarket item. I don't claim to know the rules though, just passing on info that may be useful.

Last edited by Honeydew; February 16th, 2010 at 20:13. Reason: bold emphasis added for P
Old February 16th, 2010, 19:20   #8
TDICADDGUY
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 42/46/51 with 5 speed - was 36/40/42 with 01M

Quote:
Originally Posted by Got Bearings?
P, if it's installed, leave it on. The smog tech is NOT going to bother writing the CARB numbers down to cross reference them. All he's going to do is get down on one knee and see if there's a CAT installed. Yes, PASS. NO, FAIL. It's really that simple.

I'm so confident that the tech won't check the numbers that I'll give $50 if he fails you for that reason.
I have to agree here, as long as it is installed I don't think you will run into any problems with inspection.
Old February 16th, 2010, 19:29   #9
Farfromovin
Torque Addict

Fuel Economy: low: 35 high: 56 avg: 42.0

Yeah, I'm in agreement with the above posters. I'll give you a shiny quarter if they fail you for a magnaflow cat. Maybe if Bluesmoker owned an emissions testing shop you'd fail, but shy of that I don't see it happening. If worse comes to worse, just get a stock VW cat, have some flanges welded into your exhaust and use a "test pipe" that you could swap with the VW cat LOL.

[/old setup]212whp/354 ft-lbs14.862@96.677-Way faster than Chris [/new setup] At least 213whp, and way way faster than Chris.
Farfromovin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 16th, 2010, 20:04   #10
Honeydew
Veteran Member

Please make every effort to communicate your feelings on these outlandish laws directly to your state legislators!
Old February 16th, 2010, 20:46   #11
Honeydew
Veteran Member

Unfortunately you are probably on target with that analysis.

On the other hand, take wxman's excellent post 4 in his most recent thread in this section (one of many). Your input will provide some counterpoint to the mindless drones who think they are doing good by sending in the pre-executed comments sent to them by special interest groups who they support. I get this same crap all the time from the NRA but don't send it in. It obviously does something or they wouldn't send it out.
Old February 16th, 2010, 21:26   #12
dparker
Veteran Member

I just got off the phone with Arnie. He is going to get right on this silly law.

10 LR4, 06 Z4 M Coupe, JP BMW e36, 10 Jetta TDI-Cup Edition
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VhVj4JZNfDk&hd=1
dparker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 20th, 2010, 00:28   #13
ndamico

i have the stock cat off my dmax, but i don't think it would work as it isn't OEM for the TDI.

2003 TDI Wagon 5 Speed.
Had- RIP 03 Golf, 14 Passat, 03 Jetta, 03 Jetta

ndamico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 20th, 2010, 17:56   #14
touringcar88

Fuel Economy: 51

Wasn't sure if anyone has found this link, so here it is. Here's the link to the quick reference guide applicable to our aftermarket parts!
http://www.smogcheck.ca.gov/80_BARRe...24_2009_gc.pdf
03 jetta gl 5m, esp, cw, monsoon, pp520's, bilstein hd's, h&r springs, michelin pilot sport a/s, .622 gear swap, smf w/ Sachs VR6 clutch, sylvania silverstar ultra's, polished headlight lenses, drl delete
touringcar88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 2nd, 2010, 00:49   #15
Matt-98AHU
Loose Nut Behind the Wheel Vendor

I'm attempting to register my TDI-swapped Jetta GLX in California and am having trouble due to the aftermarket cat installed on the car.

It either has to be OEM or the aftermarket cat must have stamped on it stating it meets CARB standards. I've been searching high and low for an aftermarket CARB-approved solution for diesels and so far there is none. It's either OEM or GTFO.

I'll take that $50 and shiny quarter

To be fair, I'm having to deal with a BAR Referee, not just any ol smog shop.

Apparently my car was titled in California (as a gas car) long before I purchased it in Michigan and completed my conversion. And that's why I'm having so much trouble...