www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > VW TDI Discussion Areas > TDI (Diesel) Emissions

TDI (Diesel) Emissions This is a discussion about emissions from TDI's. Pro's cons of Diesels (including biodiesel) effects on the environment and how they compare to Gasoline and other fuel sources for Internal combustion engines.

Old September 11th, 2010, 18:18   #31
JungleDeath
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: Pretty Damn Good

Not exactly cost effective, but how about a new 3.0l v6 Toureg diesel cat? What a the dimensions on that?
Old September 11th, 2010, 19:37   #32
ChippedNotBroken
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 50,45

It was said earlier, bears repeating:

V-band clamps
Quote:
Errors of opinion may be tolerated where reason is left free to combat it. TJ
ChippedNotBroken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 12th, 2010, 15:46   #33
TDICADDGUY
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 42/46/51 with 5 speed - was 36/40/42 with 01M

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChippedNotBroken View Post
It was said earlier, bears repeating:

V-band clamps
For those living in ****fornia...that is the way to go.

EDIT: since when is not-zee censored???
Old June 20th, 2011, 09:09   #34
SuperAdellic
Veteran Member

Here's the really odd thing about all this: back when no TDIs could be sold in california straight from the dealer, used car companies were buying TDIs in other states and bringing them here to be sold if they had more than a specified mileage on them; and the state has no problem with this. Therefore, the state is willing to condone the use of a non-carb certified cc as long as it is from the oem?!?!?!?! What kind of f-ed up logic is that? Technically, the oem cc won't pass the pass the test cause I don't see a carb number stamped on that expensive hunk of junk. Lots of people have hollowed out their cats and just left the shell so that they pass the visual part of the inspection, but this is typically done in areas that don't have sniff tests. If I didn't live in this forsaken state, I would just replace it with a magnaflow and be done with it. Just my two cents.
The Picard is angry!
800 club twice, 900 club 9/27/2013

Last edited by SuperAdellic; June 20th, 2011 at 11:46.
SuperAdellic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 11th, 2012, 06:01   #35
Joeviocoe
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 42 mpg on ULSD Diesel, 40 mpg on Biodiesel 100%

BUMP... Any recent changes I should worry about?

I want to get a MagnaFlow, but I'll be going to CA soon. Should I keep my OEM and just swap out before smog tests? Should I connect the MagnaFlow with easy to remove clamps?
Thanks.
Joeviocoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 11th, 2012, 08:01   #36
bluesmoker
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 57 highway mpg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joeviocoe View Post
BUMP... Any recent changes I should worry about?

I want to get a MagnaFlow, but I'll be going to CA soon. Should I keep my OEM and just swap out before smog tests? Should I connect the MagnaFlow with easy to remove clamps?
Thanks.
the magnaflow does not meet carb, instant smog check fail, leave the oem cat on

http://www.idparts.com/catalog/produ...fkjdbae2lob0o1
bluesmoker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 11th, 2012, 08:13   #37
Joeviocoe
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluesmoker View Post
the magnaflow does not meet carb, instant smog check fail, leave the oem cat on

http://www.idparts.com/catalog/produ...fkjdbae2lob0o1
Right, I know that MagnaFlow, hell, ALL aftermarket Catalytic Converters for diesel will fail a CARB test,...
... but my turbo failed and a LOT of oil got into the exhaust system. It will burn off eventually but will clog up. I am putting on a larger turbo too. The MagnaFlow (with a larger downpipe) would minimize exhaust restriction, right?

I want to maximize performance, but be able to have the OEM cat easily put back on, when I need to pass smog. What's the best way?

Last edited by Joeviocoe; December 11th, 2012 at 08:17.
Old December 11th, 2012, 10:57   #38
romad
Veteran Member

You have a Federal emission vehicle legally registered in another state. If it is installed before you come to the CPR, then they can't say a word about it as you only have to meet the Federal emission rules for your model year. My 2004 Federal rules Jetta was not legal to be sold new in the CPR and it passed smog test here in 2011 when I bought it and this year when I renewed the registration.

BTW, the only difference between a CARB approved cat and a 49-state cat is the CARB sticker and extra $300 tacked on to the price. Both are physically and functionally the same.

The fleet:
2005 Jetta Wagon "Cranberry" (bought July 2011)
2004 Toyota Prius (bought August 2004)
1990 Mazda Miata (bought July 1989)
romad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 11th, 2012, 11:34   #39
Joeviocoe
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by romad View Post
You have a Federal emission vehicle legally registered in another state. If it is installed before you come to the CPR, then they can't say a word about it as you only have to meet the Federal emission rules for your model year. My 2004 Federal rules Jetta was not legal to be sold new in the CPR and it passed smog test here in 2011 when I bought it and this year when I renewed the registration.

BTW, the only difference between a CARB approved cat and a 49-state cat is the CARB sticker and extra $300 tacked on to the price. Both are physically and functionally the same.
Thanks. So how often do I need to smog check (once I'm registered in CA)? And will the smog testers auto-fail me for the aftermarket Cat?

http://www.smogcheck.ca.gov/80_BARRe...24_2009_gc.pdf
this document doesn't seem to mention an exemption for diesels previously registered out of stat.
Old December 11th, 2012, 12:16   #40
romad
Veteran Member

Every two years or upon sale. However you can't go over the two year interval between biennial tests. In my case, I bought the Jetta in July 2011 so it had been smogged prior to sale. However, the registration expired in November, so I had to have it smogged by November 2012 to renew the registration since it had a biennial smog test in November 2010.

No, they can't fail you for having equipment that meets the emissions requirement for the model year and jurisdiction. Check the emissions label in the engine compartment - if it says "Federal", then you only have to meet the requirements of the Federal emission standards for that model year. Now if the label says "California", "CARB" or "50-state", then it is another story. The PDF you cited is for vehicles ORIGINALLY built to CARB standards. It is a violation of Federal law for California to require you to meet CARB equipment requirements on Federal emissions standards vehicles. Besides 99.44% of independent testers don't go looking for CARB labels; dealers are a different story.

So put the cat on as soon as possible so that it will get a little dirtied up; if you wait until just before you go to get tested, then it will stick out like a sore thumb. Also, you may want to renew your registration in GA before you come to the CPR, then when it is coming up for renewal again, re-register it in the CPR.

The fleet:
2005 Jetta Wagon "Cranberry" (bought July 2011)
2004 Toyota Prius (bought August 2004)
1990 Mazda Miata (bought July 1989)
romad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 11th, 2012, 12:23   #41
IndigoBlueWagon
TDIClub Enthusiast
Principal IDParts
Vendor
w/Business number

Fuel Economy: 50/45/37

You should get in touch with Matt-98AHU. He moved from Michigan to Santa Maria and went through all kinds of trouble getting his TDI Smog approved. Had to buy an OE CAT and downpipe to pass, along with addressing some software issues. I don't know if Georgia or Florida have emissions testing for diesels, but if not then CA may not see your car as emissions compliant in another state. Matt moved from Michigan and I know they don't do emissions testing.

I don't think the cat will clog. Drive the car hard after you get the turbo installed and the smoke will clear. Buy the time you get to CA you can pass Smog and then upgrade the exhaust.
Old December 11th, 2012, 19:00   #42
Joeviocoe
Veteran Member

Thanks.

Florida has no testing. It's a "Right to Burn" state.
Old October 17th, 2018, 17:26   #43
4Gman
Veteran Member

TDI(s): 2000 Jetta

This thread has some wrong information. For California: If that MagnaFlow CAT was installed before January 1, 2009 it is grandfathered in. Part# CA / CE 93006 D 93006D

Smogcheck stations WONT know this, but it's clearly written here:
https://www.smogcheck.ca.gov/pdf/ARS...Spring2009.pdf

And the process for the smog inspection for this case is available here: (Appendix G)
https://www.smogcheck.ca.gov/pdf/Smo...ence_Guide.pdf

"Smog Check Inspectors must check that all required catalytic converters (CATs) are present
and appear to be properly installed. "