fuel usage per hour on 1.6 idi

Sachs D

hello,
I'm a new member to this site. I've been reading all the info for awhile and have really enjoyed myself. Now I have a question. Has anyone ever experimented with measuring how much fuel per hour a 1.6 liter idi burns. I'm asking because I'm interested in using this power supply as a generator. I would also like to know what the projected reliability of the engine would be under these circumstances (multiple hours at a consistent rpm. I would appreciate any info anyone would have. Keep up the good work this site is great. Thanks!

Hollywood

Veteran Member
TDI
97 Passat Sedan
Sachs

Welcome to the forum. There is a company in Colorado that builds generators with commercial VW Diesels. I think they are on the links page. They could give you the best info on that.

1988 VW Fox Variant
1993 Dodge/Cummins
1995 BMW R1100RS

Sachs D

Thanks very much for the info. I will further research this project, and let you know any interesting information I find.

97 Passat TDI
82 Chevy LUV NA 2.2L IDI
82 Rabbit 1.6 IDI
89 Artic Cat Jag AFS

cars wanted

Veteran Member
TDI
Golf GLS-TDI, 2000, white/beige
The amount of fuel used per hour would vary not only with engine speed, but also with load, (eg., how many kilo-watts would you want to crank out?)
The best mileage on my 1982 diesel Rabbit (1.6 l. IDI) was 59.5 mpg at a constant speed of 55-ish mph on level ground (Chesapeake Bay). This would suggest something just under one gallon of fuel used per hour with a fairly light load. Of course, with heavier loads, one could see this amount of fuel double or even quadruple.