NHTSA Update on CR HPFP failure investigation

darrelld

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Tesla Model S85, 2017 Chevy Bolt
For those who recieved assurances from VW Customer Care that the HPFP is covered under the 5/60 powertrain warranty, how long did it take for a response?

STRANGETDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Audi A3 S-Line Premium Plus Quattro - APR Stage II
I got 3/36 for HPFP from VWCC back in Oct-Nov. 2011:

Thank you for contacting the Volkswagen Information Center. We are
pleased to see you have ordered the popular Golf TDI model, and we
appreciate your concerns regarding the fuel pump and warranty coverage.

Volkswagen Group of America is cooperating fully with the National
Highway Transportation Safety Administration's (NHTSA's) investigation
of fuel pump issues in certain Volkswagen and Audi models equipped with
2.0-liter TDI diesel engines. Volkswagen has informed NHTSA that it
does not believe the complaints reflect a safety defect in the fuel
pump. Volkswagen's own data, which we have presented to NHTSA, suggest
that contamination of the diesel fuel that results in a loss of
lubrication in the fuel pump may explain many of the observed failures.

In addition to supporting NHTSA's investigation, Volkswagen and Audi
will continue to work with customers who have experience fuel system
issues in models equipped with our 2.0-liter TDI engine. Volkswagen
will examine whether external factors may have resulted in fuel
contamination and will work with individual fuel suppliers or other
parties as needed. In any event, Volkswagen will continue to cooperate
fully with NHTSA's investigation.

Please be assured your comments have been documented and made available
to the proper parties at Volkswagen of America. The fuel pump will
continue to be covered by the 3-year/36,000-mile New Vehicle Limited
Warranty for manufacturer's shortcomings. If additional research
warrants a re-examination of the current warranty coverage, Volkswagen
will notify those customers with affected vehicles.

If you have any additional warranty questions or concerns, we encourage
you to contact the Customer CARE Center at 1-800-822-8987 and speak with
an advocate.

Thank you again for visiting vw.com. We look forward to seeing you
behind the steering wheel of your Golf TDI in the near future!

Matt
Volktalk

To which I replied:

Matt,

Thank you for your response regarding my warranty and other questions for my 2012 Golf TDI.

I have received information from other TDI owners who have received correspondence from VW CC which contradicts what you provided to me in your email. The others have been told by CC that the HPFP(High Pressure Fuel Pump) has been added to the list of covered components under the Powertrain Limited Warranty for for 5 years or 60,000 miles.

If you would be so kind as to research this issue and try to see what in fact is covered in this vehicle, specifically in regards to the
HPFP, in my anticpated new car.

If you need more specific info such as the emails that were received by the other VW owners I can provide that to you as well, just let me
know.

Thank you for your time and I look forward to hearing from you.

To which they replied:

Thank you for your follow-up email regarding the high-pressure fuel pump inquiry on your Golf TDI. All recall, service action, and warranty extension decisions made by Volkswagen of America are Vehicle Identification Number (VIN) specific. The Volkswagen Information Center does not have resources to verify if a particular VIN is affected by an announced recall or service action.

For the most complete information regarding this or any other service action in relation to your vehicle, please contact the Customer CARE Center at 1-800-822-8987. Customer CARE has the resources to verify all open recall and service action campaigns on your Golf. You may also contact Customer CARE by email through the website at http://web.vw.com/templates/Service?serviceName=customercare. We hope this information will be of some assistance to you.

Thank you again for visiting vw.com!

Matt
Volktalk

darrelld

Veteran Member
TDI
I got 3/36 for HPFP from VWCC back in Oct-Nov. 2011:

Thank you for contacting the Volkswagen Information Center. We are
pleased to see you have ordered the popular Golf TDI model, and we
appreciate your concerns regarding the fuel pump and warranty coverage.

Volkswagen Group of America is cooperating fully with the National
Highway Transportation Safety Administration's (NHTSA's) investigation
of fuel pump issues in certain Volkswagen and Audi models equipped with
2.0-liter TDI diesel engines. Volkswagen has informed NHTSA that it
does not believe the complaints reflect a safety defect in the fuel
pump. Volkswagen's own data, which we have presented to NHTSA, suggest
that contamination of the diesel fuel that results in a loss of
lubrication in the fuel pump may explain many of the observed failures.

In addition to supporting NHTSA's investigation, Volkswagen and Audi
will continue to work with customers who have experience fuel system
issues in models equipped with our 2.0-liter TDI engine. Volkswagen
will examine whether external factors may have resulted in fuel
contamination and will work with individual fuel suppliers or other
parties as needed. In any event, Volkswagen will continue to cooperate
fully with NHTSA's investigation.

Please be assured your comments have been documented and made available
to the proper parties at Volkswagen of America. The fuel pump will
continue to be covered by the 3-year/36,000-mile New Vehicle Limited
Warranty for manufacturer's shortcomings. If additional research
warrants a re-examination of the current warranty coverage, Volkswagen
will notify those customers with affected vehicles.

If you have any additional warranty questions or concerns, we encourage
you to contact the Customer CARE Center at 1-800-822-8987 and speak with
an advocate.

Thank you again for visiting vw.com. We look forward to seeing you
behind the steering wheel of your Golf TDI in the near future!

Matt
Volktalk

To which I replied:

Matt,

Thank you for your response regarding my warranty and other questions for my 2012 Golf TDI.

I have received information from other TDI owners who have received correspondence from VW CC which contradicts what you provided to me in your email. The others have been told by CC that the HPFP(High Pressure Fuel Pump) has been added to the list of covered components under the Powertrain Limited Warranty for for 5 years or 60,000 miles.

If you would be so kind as to research this issue and try to see what in fact is covered in this vehicle, specifically in regards to the
HPFP, in my anticpated new car.

If you need more specific info such as the emails that were received by the other VW owners I can provide that to you as well, just let me
know.

Thank you for your time and I look forward to hearing from you.

To which they replied:

Thank you for your follow-up email regarding the high-pressure fuel pump inquiry on your Golf TDI. All recall, service action, and warranty extension decisions made by Volkswagen of America are Vehicle Identification Number (VIN) specific. The Volkswagen Information Center does not have resources to verify if a particular VIN is affected by an announced recall or service action.

For the most complete information regarding this or any other service action in relation to your vehicle, please contact the Customer CARE Center at 1-800-822-8987. Customer CARE has the resources to verify all open recall and service action campaigns on your Golf. You may also contact Customer CARE by email through the website at http://web.vw.com/templates/Service?serviceName=customercare. We hope this information will be of some assistance to you.

Thank you again for visiting vw.com!

Matt
Volktalk

That reply is disappointing and inconsistent. I asked for a formal letter and not just an email.

Can you imagine going to your local dealer with a printed email from VW Customer Service and asking that your $10,000 HPFP repair bill be covered.

pinkertonfloyd

Veteran Member
TDI
14' Subie Outback FMR: 12' Jetta TDI/P+N
That reply is disappointing and inconsistent. I asked for a formal letter and not just an email.

Can you imagine going to your local dealer with a printed email from VW Customer Service and asking that your $10,000 HPFP repair bill be covered.
Email is legally binding.

Trust me, I've dealt with a few e-discovery requests in my career. ;)

darrelld

Veteran Member
TDI

Good to know, I emailed VW Customer Care about a week ago for clarification on the warranty issue and received no response. I plan to email them again by Friday.

Bottom line for me is if VW doesn't have enough confidence in this HPFP design to warrant it how can owners have any faith to continue ownership.

It's unfortunate because I really like the car.

Blackheart

TDI
2010 sedan
Even though I have a 7 year, 100,000 VW RealDriver Mechanical Failure Service Contract on my 2010 (which has less than 24,000 miles on it), which lists covered components to include:

FUEL: Fuel lines; fuel pressure regulator; level sending unit: fuel injectors and seals; injection pump; ESC systems; fuel injection control components including mixture control processor, throttle body assembly, shutoff valve, fuel rail, fuel distributor, trigger contacts, cold start valve, fuel injection valve, fuel accumulator; tank; tank door latch; tank filler neck and o-ring.

I don't feel like I'm covered for this HPFP problem, since it never states HPFP. As a layperson, I'd think "injection pump" would include the HPFP. If not, and if VW doesn't do more than bob and weave on this issue, I'm dumping the car on a VW dealer, and buying a used Something Else off of their lot, never to buy VW again. There are too many other good choices out there to be stuck with something that isn't taken care of adequately.

Now, if they DO act in what I think is a reasonable manner, I'll be happy as a clam to keep the car I have, and will point to VW as a company that stands behind their product line. We will see....

Ski in NC

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Jetta ALH 5sp stock
Blackheart- Why not just ask them if the hpfp is covered? It can be described as an "injection pump" and still be somewhat accurate technically.

STRANGETDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Audi A3 S-Line Premium Plus Quattro - APR Stage II

I can print out others who have emailed their 5/60 HPFP VWCC responses to me and use that as back up too. I'll look at my extended warranty too which is 7/100 and look at it in more detail.

darrelld

Veteran Member
TDI
Just sent another inquiry to VW.

I have been following the NHTSA investigation into my Jetta's HPFP design problems. I am concerned as my 36/36000 mile warranty is due to expire within the next few months.

My question is specifically does the 5 year 60000 mile powertrain warranty cover damage caused to my HPFP and related items in the event of a failure similar to those reported by nearly 200 other TDI owners to NHTSA. I understand the repair for such a failure is in the neighborhood of $10,000.

This is my second time to contact VW for clarification regarding coverage under the powertrain warranty to my HPFP and related items.

Blackheart

TDI
2010 sedan
Yep, that's a different warranty, and they don't have a website, only a phone number to call. Unfortunately, "vagueness" usually works to the benefit of the company, not the consumer.

Well, at least one person at the VW RealDriver Warranty switchboard says it's eligible to be covered. Still wish it was spelled out specifically.

The VW website person sent this to me, regarding my 2010 TDI:
"At this time, the fuel pump in your Jetta is covered under the Powertrain Limited Warranty for five years or 60,000 miles, whichever occurs first, from the in-service date of November 14, 2009, for manufacturer shortcomings."

At least I have that in an email....​

Last edited:

dikrek

TDI
2012 Golf TDI
I wonder for future vehicles how easy it would be to go with something like a heavy-duty truck pump like the CPN5 or maybe something not from Bosch altogether.

The pump has to be strong enough to deal with pumping water, raw sewage and pure solvent IMO.

Anyone know the relative cost of the two pumps?

bhtooefr

TDIClub Enthusiast, ToofTek Inventor
TDI
None
The other thing is, the truck pumps are designed to pump a LOT more fuel, and at lower RPM.

And, if you slow down the pump RPM by putting a huge pulley on it, you could cause unintended side effects. (More timing belt stress, more dips in rail pressure, potentially lower pressure due to the slower pumping.)

darrelld

Veteran Member
TDI
Got my answer back on warranty clarification;

Thank you for your e-mail inquiring about the warranty for your Jetta’s High Pressure Fuel Pump.

The High Pressure Fuel Pump in your Jetta is covered under the Powertrain Limited Warranty for five years or 60,000 miles, whichever occurs first, from the in-service date of November 6, 2010, for manufacturer shortcomings.

Should you experience any concerns with your Jetta, we ask that you address this with your local servicing dealer. They will be in the best position to diagnose your Jetta and confirm if the repairs will be covered under any applicable warranty.

Please know Volkswagen is working in full cooperation with the National Highway and Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) in researching customer concerns with the fuel pump on our Clean Diesel vehicles.

At this time, there has been no indication, based on the research, that the customers that have experienced concerns with the fuel pump have been related to an inherent flaw in the design.

With you being a multi-Volkswagen owner, we recognize your loyalty to our brand, and we take your concerns seriously. We want you to feel confident in your purchase, and I hope you are otherwise enjoying the unique driving experience your Jetta was built to provide.

Should you need future assistance, our Customer CARE Center is available Monday through Friday 8 AM to 6 PM, local time, at (800) 822-8987 or by email through the “Contact Us” page of our website.

Last edited:

Claudio

Veteran Member
TDI
09 Jetta SW
ETA of the last package of documents from VW to NHTSA was August 17th...when do you thing we will here something from NHTSA?

Data-saurus

TDI
2011 TDI Sportwagen
update

After getting my 2011 Jetta back from the dealer this week (HPFP failure), I was informed that the factory rep had been through several days prior.

Reportedly, they're going to chalk these up to bad fuel, and stop warrantying these failures.

But that's third-hand... so make of it what you will.

If VW has made a fuel sysfem this friggin' fragile, with this large a price-tag to repair, I'm done owning a volkwagen.

Seriously.

Lightflyer1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Beetle tdi dsg
They have pretty much contended from day one that it is due to bad fuel. Whether that is from customer misfueling or gas mixed in at the station or any other means of contamination. I wouldn't give any creedance to anything heard at the dealer though. Wait for the final NHTSA report.

LRTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
RIP 16 GSW... Just the LR diesel now
If you fill with diesel and the fuel is bad, there is nothing you as a consumer can do to control or test the fuel.
AFAIK VW has not issued its dealers with any kind of diesel contaminant test kit to substantiate any bad fuel claim. I call it a smoke screen until proven otherwise.

darrelld

Veteran Member
TDI
If you fill with diesel and the fuel is bad, there is nothing you as a consumer can do to control or test the fuel.
AFAIK VW has not issued its dealers with any kind of diesel contaminant test kit to substantiate any bad fuel claim. I call it a smoke screen until proven otherwise.
Some fuel retailers, Racetrac and Murphy, I have confirmed by email will cover the cost of repairs if fuel system damage is due to contaminated fuel.

Lightflyer1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Beetle tdi dsg
Been that way for quite some time for most if not all big fuel retailers I would imagine. Just comes down to liability customer, station or car mfg. With no real proof so far that fuel was contaminated you can end up in a finger pointing contest between VW and the fuel supplier (assuming you didn't do it yourself).

The conspiracy train of thought is they will hold the results till after the election. ;)

darrelld

Veteran Member
TDI
Been that way for quite some time for most if not all big fuel retailers I would imagine. Just comes down to liability customer, station or car mfg. With no real proof so far that fuel was contaminated you can end up in a finger pointing contest between VW and the fuel supplier (assuming you didn't do it yourself).

The conspiracy train of thought is they will hold the results till after the election. ;)
That's the problem I see. No clear path to liability for damage as it can appear many miles after exposure to contaminates.

Sohappy

TDI
2013 VW Passat TDI
Had a hpfp failure on my 2013 Passat TDI - while on original tank from VW. They indicate fuel contamination... and recommend buying diesel only from high volume stations....

So far, only BP explicitly warrants the quality of their fuel - covering repairs due to poor fuel -- see their website. I couldn't find anyone else... so I guess BP it will be with a log book of diesel purchases and receipts.

Plus 3 Golfer

Veteran Member
TDI
Und tschüss! 2009 Jetta 12/23/2012
Had a hpfp failure on my 2013 Passat TDI - while on original tank from VW. They indicate fuel contamination... and recommend buying diesel only from high volume stations....

So far, only BP explicitly warrants the quality of their fuel - covering repairs due to poor fuel -- see their website. I couldn't find anyone else... so I guess BP it will be with a log book of diesel purchases and receipts.
You can file a claim against any station selling bad fuel. There's no need for any fuel warranty. So, don't worry about finding a brand that promotes a fuel warranty.

What were the symptoms of the failure? Did the car stall while driving? I would file with a report with NHTSA regardless to get the "bad fuel" failure on record.

Blackheart

TDI
2010 sedan
So, a VW employee didn't follow VW's own recommendations when filling the tank? Or, is contamination not really the issue? Sounds like a lot of too-typical dodging and pointing fingers to me....