www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Order your TDIClub merchandise and help support TDIClub

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > VW TDI Discussion Areas > TDI Conversions

TDI Conversions Discussions on converting non TDIs into TDIS. More general items can be answered better in other sections. This is ideal for issues that don't have an overlap and are very special to swaping engines.

Old November 25th, 2016, 17:19   #61
ToddA1
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: Dismal
Default '97 AHU into ’81 Rabbit LX

Booster stuff, pedal cluster and gold plated lines finally got reinstalled.

Torched the tape and 99.99% of it came off clean. Absolutely no media in the block.

With my VAG wood block, I yanked the crank bolt. I was surprised the engine stand didn't want to topple over... easy affair.

Check out that crazy clipped counterweight. It's stamped with "2" on the flat area, so I'm positive it's supposed to be like that. It was the only one like that.... never saw that before.

Crank nose and sprocket look good. It appears thread locker was used on the threads. I'll clean the bolt up and reuse it.

Jk... I have a couple new bolts sourced from the stealership.

-Todd

Last edited by ToddA1; June 5th, 2018 at 20:31.
ToddA1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 27th, 2016, 12:48   #62
ToddA1
Veteran Member

Default '97 AHU into ’81 Rabbit LX

Engine and trans needed to swap places. It's much easier to paint on the stand.

Tucked the block to the rear of my spacious garage. I also need to change the title of the thread. Just noticed the code on the block is 1Z.

Stanced my engine stand in preparation of case drilling.

Started by cleaning out the area for the holes with gas and the chip brush. Dumped some leftover ATF in the trans. Drilled slowly, alternating the depth of each hole, evenly. As I continued, I cleaned the flutes and the case several times to avoid pushing chips into the trans.

Once I barely poked through and saw red, I finished each hole. I only drilled 2 holes instead of 3, and didn't wallow either. Lower hole was plugged until the upper hole stopped draining, then pulled the bit until the lower stopped draining.

I repeated this several times with ATF, then repeated the process again with gas, then repeated again with acetone.

Engine stand wanted to participate in the X Games. Shot acetone in the tower hole and let it drain more, to ensure it was as clean as I could get it.

Some of the metal chips. The pan had a lot more.

Pulled the plugs and keep rotating the trans to get as much of the old fluid out as possible. I'll let it drain for a few more hours, then seal it back up for the acetone bath. Want to get this painted...

-Todd

Last edited by ToddA1; June 5th, 2018 at 20:32.
Old November 27th, 2016, 13:12   #63
1.9ZOOK
Veteran Member

TDI(s): ALH Samurai
Fuel Economy: pending

You've gotten a lot done this weekend,every bit gets you closer.
1.9ZOOK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 27th, 2016, 14:40   #64
ToddA1
Veteran Member

And I'm not even halfway there...

I want this to be over, lol.

-Todd
Old November 29th, 2016, 06:01   #65
ToddA1
Veteran Member

Red face

Trans was primed and painted. I couldn't imagine painting this without the stand.

Before and after.

The paint came out a lot brighter than expected. The test piece I brushed, had more of a cast look that I was going for. I'll live with it, although I was planning on spraying the head the same color.... I'll need to think about it.

Went under the box on medium, all night. Currently, on a timer. 2 hours on and 2 hours off, all day.

-Todd

Last edited by ToddA1; June 5th, 2018 at 20:35.
Old December 8th, 2016, 05:59   #66
jhax
Veteran Member

Todd,

That block color looks familiar! Good work sir. I'm curious to know what the specs of the air compressor you're using. I'm buying one for my dad for Christmas this year and want to be able to borrow it from him on occasion to learn how to paint. I was also unaware that the 02A had the same fluid access issue the 02J does. Is that why you drilled those holes?

Looking Good,
Justin
jhax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 8th, 2016, 10:44   #67
ToddA1
Veteran Member

Thanks, although I didn't go with your fancy "JD" green, lol.

As a side note, I spoke with my body shop friend Pete. I mentioned using the acrilic enamel hardener and reducer (that I had) and he said it would have worked fine. He used to know plenty of guys who sprayed Rustoleum.

We started talking about paint cocktails and I mentioned reading people thinning the paint with gas. He told me some guy he knew had a trailer queen painted with lacquer, and cut with gas. A few days later, the car was wetsanded with gas. Pete said that car looked incredible!

I'm using a 60 gallon upright that's a over a decade old. It lives in a storage loft that I built over the garage door. 11.8 CFM @ 40 and 10.3 CFM @ 90. 135 max PSI.

For small stuff you may be able to get away with a 30 gallon. If it weren't for the clean up, I'd use the gun every time.

-Todd

Last edited by ToddA1; June 5th, 2018 at 20:35.
Old December 8th, 2016, 14:35   #68
ToddA1
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhax View Post
I was also unaware that the 02A had the same fluid access issue the 02J does. Is that why you drilled those holes?

Correct. I believe the later 02Js got some type of oil bridge to aid with the 5th gear oiling. From what I understand, this bridge can be added to the 02As.

If I ever crack this puppy open, I'll go that route, but this will suffice for now.

-Todd
Old December 9th, 2016, 10:18   #69
jhax
Veteran Member

Yeah, I wont be able to do that. The one I just got is a 20gal 5.5hp model. Oh well. I have been calling around to local paint stores to get pricing and "brand" information. From what I have read, when you paint, you want to use what's called a "paint system." Or the same brand of primer, paint, clear, hardeners etc etc. What's your opinion on this? I really want to get it done right the first time and would like to find a good quality system and the cheapest I've found so far is Lesonal at about $730 for the entire system. I see duplicolor and I have heard O'reilly's products are fine to use.
Old December 9th, 2016, 15:03   #70
ToddA1
Veteran Member

I'm no authority, but I've heard the same. But then again, I'm shooting Rustoleum and a different brand of hardener. If I'd known my Omni AE hardener and reducer would have worked, I'd have used it.

I have no experience with the brands you're mentioning. I'm used to shooting single stage Omni. Pete tells me Omni (low line PPG) is the equivalent of what Macco would paint your car with. If you keep it indoors, you may get 10 years from it.

Do you have a paint supply house near you? Why not a known name like Sikkens, DuPont, PPG, BASF, Glassurit, etc., if you're going to drop that type of money on paint?

-Todd
Old December 9th, 2016, 16:19   #71
damac
Veteran Member

TDI(s): none

jhax are you trying to paint yourself? there is allot of $$$ on tools and supplies beyond the paint, i learned this the hard way.

also for those without 220 power, you can chain 2 120 volt compressors together and get a nicer than harbor freight gun with low air requirements and paint a car.

there are numerous namebrand paint systems out there and many should have generic line paint and color effects the price. or just take a chance and buy a system from a catalog company like eastwood for the paint and clear. they also have doable primers.

i have been to a few shops with guys that will pound anything on because they know how to work things on the fly. i have noticed a definate difference in some cheap materials like primers for example and how they sand.

but frankly like i said the eastwood products as an example will get the job done and aren't too terrible. high build and their epoxy is easy to use.

i used like 6 different brands of primer on my rabbit project and never had a reaction, just follow the techsheets. if dealing with an old substrate, primers, etc. rather than a bare to metal restoration i wouldn't mess around and would seal it before basecoat.

is that duplicolor you mention that water like stuff in funky colors the paint stores sell? that stuff is crap in my opinion, they even have a clear in a can that isn't activated, good luck with that holding up.

only reason i mention all this is because you said do it right but mention the word cheap. those don't go together
damac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 9th, 2016, 16:38   #72
ToddA1
Veteran Member

Some good points. What do you mean by chain 2 compressors together?

I think EW rebrands Kirker products.

Some areas need to be taken down to metal. Pete made me strip the roof, because it was metallic and badly cracked. He said if we just sanded, hi builded, then sealed, the cracks would probably telegraph through. I'm unsure why, but he's the expert, so I did what he told me to do.

I don't mind the rough metal repair, but I don't enjoy the sanding. There are a lot of tricks to blocking panels properly. I let his guys do that. He had me running the DA and wiping panels for hours.... it sucked.

If I have him paint another car for me, I'll likely pay him full price to do everything. FWIW, my car was painted with Sikkens.

-Todd
Old December 10th, 2016, 08:13   #73
jhax
Veteran Member

damac, I have taken that DIY could end up being as expensive into consideration. I wonder if it would be cheaper for me to just sand everything down and de-trim, not in that order. And just take it to a shop to have them paint it back up if it would be cheaper. Thanks for the advice!

Justin
Old December 10th, 2016, 16:59   #74
damac
Veteran Member

TDI(s): none

since the air tools need the airflow higher vs. psi you can take 2 compressors that run on 120 volt and run the outputs into a common output. i set the auto shutoff switches to a lower psi like 100, take into account tank pressure limits if different. i run a zig zag line of piping on the wall with 3 drains and then my filtering system before i hook my air hose in. i also use high flow fittings.

i had to do this because i don't have 220 at my brothers place but different 120 circuits. its amazing the difference 2 compressors makes when sanding. this is just 2 30 gallon harbor freight types.

this works great for the right matched sanders, etc. for painting you have to be very specific when choosing a gun and i would undershoot the specs so you don't run out of air. i used a concourse pro gun from eastwood.

air guns can be real air hogs but the make lower volume guns.
damac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 15th, 2016, 09:26   #75
ToddA1
Veteran Member

Minor progress. It feels good to get rid of parts... resealed the short block.

Some block heaters purchased back in 2012. One used one from around 2008, pulled from Big Blue's lump. Used one went to the rear side, in case it fails. Easy to get to....

K7003801... not looking for the rattle.

Need to get the block and trans in the car... I'll gain garage space by losing these parts, the engine stand and I get the hoist out of the shed.

-Todd

Last edited by ToddA1; June 5th, 2018 at 20:36.