www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Order your TDIClub merchandise and help support TDIClub

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > Classifieds/For Sale/Wanted > TDI Cars for Sale/Wanted

TDI Cars for Sale/Wanted VW TDI/Diesel cars for sale and wanted.

Old December 30th, 2008, 22:17   #1
eskimocounselor

Default 81 VW Turbo Diesel Rabbit Pickup LX with A/C, CD, canopy, Recaros, alloys, coil overs

Sold sold sold

Last edited by eskimocounselor; April 10th, 2012 at 08:42.
eskimocounselor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 1st, 2009, 12:09   #2
Schwimmwagen
Veteran Member

Nice ride, I sold my '81 Caddy diesel in 2000 and have been regretting it since! Went all across western Canada in that thing.
Schwimmwagen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 4th, 2009, 17:40   #3
Shastapk
Veteran Member

Looks like previous owner isn't a happy camper- buyer be aware!

http://portland.craigslist.org/mlt/cto/980344815.html
Old January 4th, 2009, 17:52   #4
Oberkanone
Veteran Member

If the paint is not original they there is no good justification to be dishonest about it. It is entirely acceptable for a 1981 to have paint work. When one item is described dishonestly, the seller loses credibility.
Oberkanone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 4th, 2009, 19:24   #5
eskimocounselor

The P.O. is not happy. I bought it for his asking price, put bunches of work into it, and replaced the dented fender and hood with ones from a good Rabbit of the same year and color. What isn't original about that? If you met the P.O., you might understand that he has a tendency to fly off the handle. He's pretty intense in a creepy kind of way. I have before and after pics of the panels I replaced if anyone is interested.

Aaron
Old January 4th, 2009, 20:28   #6
Oberkanone
Veteran Member

Quote:
replaced the dented fender and hood with ones from a good Rabbit of the same year and color. What isn't original about that?
The original panels with original paint were replaced. When an automobile is described as having it's original paint it is expected to have the original paint that the specific auto left the factory with, not the original paint from a different automobile.

Original paint is important to some buyers as paint work may also indicate prior collision damage and hidden damage.

Your car had collision damage. Intentional or not, it appears that your intent is to mislead buyers since you listed so many parts (including the horn) replaced and forgot to mention the hood and fender AND state "original paint" in the description.

Deceptive.

And it just going to lead to questions on how rusty the bed was.

The truck is over 25 years old and is not a museum specimen, so it was not worth omitting the replacement of the hood and fender.

It appears from the pictures and description to be quite a nice example of a 1981, it's a shame that there is a cloud over it now.

I don't think anyone really cares if you are flipping the truck for a profit or simply moving on, the truck is worth whatever a buyer is willing to pay.

The problem is misrepresentation.

When a car does not have it's original fender, or it's original hood, it does not have it's original paint!
Old January 4th, 2009, 20:32   #7
Oberkanone
Veteran Member

Quote:
Never has any trouble starting even in freezing temps.
Never is a long time unless never = a few weeks of ownership.
Old January 4th, 2009, 20:39   #8
eskimocounselor

Original Lago Blue paint and body is in very nice condition with a few normal cosmetic blemishes for an 81. Hood and passengers fender were replaced with good original ones from another Rabbit of the same color and year to repair where it had hit a deer a while back (before and after pictures are available). The only rust currently on the truck are 2 very small spots under the hood. 2 spots of rust were repaired with metal plates welded in the bed and roll on bed liner has been recently added.
Old January 6th, 2009, 10:02   #9
jbplaster

TDI(s): 98 Jetta
Default Sell Me That Bumper

If you're willing, I would love to buy that stock rear bumper. Call me at 828.230.1726. Jesse
jbplaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 9th, 2009, 20:15   #10
vwjunkie53

TDI(s): 1999.5 Jetta

Quote:
Never is a long time unless never = a few weeks of ownership.
It only needs to be cold one morning to see that it doesn't start well because of low compression, or glow plug/IP issues. If it starts well in the cold, thats that. Its not like low compression is an intermittent problem...

Looks like a nice truck, good luck with the sale.

Jason
1989 Dodge Ram D-250 12v cummins diesel "the tow truck"
vwjunkie53 is offline   Reply With Quote