Replacing 3-way front speakers?

CDubber

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta SportWagen TDI
I replaced the rear speakers in my '13 TDI without major issue with a set of Polk 2-way components. The front doors are another beast entirely. I've not the time nor money for a high-dollar custom rig. Just want to swap out the junk speakers with something decent. Wondering if there's some sort of adapter out there that will let me just clip into the speaker harnesses attached to the factory crossover or do I need to remove the factory crossover and cut the wiring up entirely? I bought a second pair of Polk 2-way components (6.5" woofer and 1" tweeter) for the front but am now wondering if I should try to incorporate a replacement for the factory 4" speaker as well without having to go with an expensive 3-way component system with crossover. Would rather just pick up a pair of Polk 4" and add them to the mix with the factory crossover if at all possible. Any thoughts?

Votblindub

Veteran Member
TDI
MK4 Jetta Wagon
I would run a high quality(or at least the best you can get) set of components. 6.5" for mids, 1" for highs. My preference is titanium/aluminum tweeters, but there's a catch- ear fatigue. You get great definition with those tweeters though. Silk domes sound really mild, but not as crisp.

CDubber

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta SportWagen TDI
Yep, that’s exactly what I ended up doing. Ordered Dayton Audio speakers in 6.5” and 4” as well as an air motion transformer tweeter. I didn’t have the cash for higher-end speakers but I think these will be a great improvement for the price.