New B6 Passat TDI Questions/Comments

whitelite777

Veteran Member
I've been reading the information about the next generation Passat on vwvortex lately. I've got some questions about the newer TDI's that will accompany the B6.

The articles I've read say that there will be 3 different TDI's Available.
1. 77KW/105PS
2. 103KW/140PS
3. 125KW/170PS

What do KW and PS represent, i.e. how does that relate to HP and torque?

Also the article said that the highest powered TDI would be equipped with the highly innovative Piezzo-operated high pressure fuel injuection system and two balancer shafts. I know a little about common rail and fuel pressures, but I haven't heard about this system. Does anyone know????????

Also the article said that the 2 highest powered TDI's will come with the DSG gearbox. Didn't show a manual. I just hope these options will be available so we won't have the current auto trans.

Lastly the article gave some exerior dimensions. This new Passat is going to be larger than my 03 Toyota Avalon. It's going to be one great car.

Lowell

diesabora

TDI
2004 Jetta GL TDI, Spice Red, 2015 Golf Sportwagon SEL
Looks like it will be:
105 1.9L PD (Fact)
140 2.0L 16V PD (Fact)
170 2.5L V6 Piezo TDi (I think-conjecture)

DickSilver

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 B5.5V, 1996 B4V
PS is German for "Pferd-Starke" or "Horse-Power."

Since one horsepower is 746 watts, hence 77KW = 105HP(PS).

icnick

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta, 2006, Platinum Gray
Lowell, unfortunately from all we've heard so far, the engines offered initially here will be FSI (gasoline) engines. TDIs may come later, but as with all VW products, we always get the short end of the stick when it comes to engine and transmission selection. I doubt (it would be nice, but don't think it will happen) that we will ever get the 170 kW V6 TDI with the piezo PD injectors. The piezo injectors themselves will probably show up here sooner or later. They are probably waiting for ULSD (2006) before they make more TDI options available.

The piezo injectors simply have a piezoelectric instead of solenoid based metering system.

The twin balancer shafts are on the 2.0l TDI in the current Passat. They are rotating shafts with weights that smooth out the operation of the engine.

TDI Believer

Responsible For Global Warming
TDI
2012 Touareg TDI
They've definately got some neat-o gadgets and technology in the B6, but I'm really glad I got my B5. The B6 looks like a Phaeton took a Taurus out behind the bushes.

PlaneCrazy

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Gone...
Take nothing for granted with VW. When they brought the B5 Passat a TDI was supposed to be offered (the old 90 hp rotary injection pump model), but none were imported (there are sporadic rumours of three having been imported before the decision not to bring 'em in was made). As it happened it took from '98 to '04 for the TDI to reappear in the Passat.

When I heard that the new Passat was just round the corner I jumped to get an '05 because I figured that would be the last Passat diesel we'd see for a while.

Maybe, just MAYBE the fact that 40-50% of VW Canada sales are TDIs will ensure at least we Canucks get a TDI Passat when the B6 comes out.

Otherwise, I will, for my next car, have to settle for an all-dressed Jetta TDI with the DSG. But it will be hard to give up 70 lb-ft and 34 hp...meanwhile the B5.5 soldiers on...

LightningTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
'05 United Grey Passat TDI Wagon with Grey Leather; '05 Golf, 5-speed automatic TDI; '04 Beetle 5M TDI; '02 Beetle auto TDI
Did you get the bi-xenon stock or did you add these aftermarket yourself? We cannot get this stock here in the US...

KenH

Veteran Member
If the torque is given it will be listed as Nm or Newton-meters. The units coverter section of this web page will allow you to convert this to foot-pounds.

Just to reinforce what others have said, you are reading articles from the European press right now. You can dream about getting what they describe but don't get your heart set on any particular thing. We won't know what they will send over here until you see it in dealer showrooms. Our "menu" will be a fraction of the European menu and not everything VWOA says they will offer will be offered. We will be somewhat lucky to get a TDI at all.

Ken

jimoilrell

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Passat TDI Variant Reflex Silver, 2005 Passat TDI Variant United Grey
Rich, I agree. The B6 has lost the classic German lines. Maybe our B5.5s will be classics.

DickSilver

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 B5.5V, 1996 B4V
As far as I am concerned, the B4V is already a classic. Body, mechanicals, the works. The B5 is already a step down, and the B6 just farther down for more money.

TDiMike

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Golf GLS TDI, reflex silver (sold)
From vortex:
"The 2.0T FSI sedan will go on sale here in North America first in the 3rd quarter of 2005 (in dealers in August as of this writing) followed by the 3.6l VR6 sedan in October of 2005. The wagon will be a delayed introduction in February of 2006."

Okay then, looks like the 2005MY is the last year for NorthAmerica's B5.5 Passat. That's what, two years of producing the TDI Passat 2.0L?

How do you guys feel about parts availability with such a short run? How about knowledge base at the dealers?

icnick

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta, 2006, Platinum Gray
This will make our cars all the more rare in this market. They will be hard to get, and will probably keep their value well, barring any unforeseen mechanical difficulties. Since an extremely similar 2.0l TDI motor is widespread in Europe and elsewhere, it shouldn't be hard to get parts. Only difference as far as I know is 4v vs. 2v per cylinder.

GoFaster

Moderator at Large
TDI
2006 Jetta TDI
The 2.0 TDI in the North American B5.5 Passat is a parts-bin engine, anyway. Same bottom end and head gasket as the Euro 2.0 16-valve, same/similar/interchangeable pistons as the Euro 2.5 5-cyl P-D (which is a 2-valve-per-cylinder design), same/similar/interchangeable head and everything inside it as a 1.9 8-valve.

leobg

Veteran Member
TDI
passat 2004 black
Well, if you don't see a pattern, I do.

My guess is that we'll see a TDI passat again in 2011...
I hope this pattern's not going to be followed
. My thoughts are about ULSD diesel coming in 2006 - hopefully european fine diesel engines are coming together with it too..