Do You Need To Be There In Person For The BB?

DieselMann99

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Jetta TDI w/ Premium, DSG (Buyback Nov 2018); 2013 Jetta TDI (bought Dec 2018); also, bought a CPO 2017 Passat TSI (Nov 2018)
Reason I'm asking is that I'm looking for a replacement car, a VW, and it would be a lot easier if I can drive my TDI to the VW dealer selling me the new car, and I would just drop off my TDI there. Then, maybe the BB appt will be a week or two later (if I can coordinate that). Of course, I'll make sure they have all the required documentation. Then they can just do the EFT and I don't have to make another trip to the dealer.

If the dealer was nearby, no problem, but I probably will be be buying the new car at a dealer 1 - 4 hours away from my house, so you can understand why I wouldn't want to have to go back for the BB appt. I can always schedule the BB at a local dealer, but then I have the problem of getting to the far away dealer to pick up the new car. I can't drive both cars back. Having the same dealer do the BB and sell me the new car solves that problem.

Last edited:

ZippyNH

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 JETTA TDI SE
Pretty sure you need to be there...
Just like buying a house, there is a stack of papers by to sign...
Was for the first stage modifications anyway...

DieselMann99

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Jetta TDI w/ Premium, DSG (Buyback Nov 2018); 2013 Jetta TDI (bought Dec 2018); also, bought a CPO 2017 Passat TSI (Nov 2018)
Yes the owner must be present.

Does it say that in the documents someplace? I didn't see it, but I may have missed it.

I understand that they expect the owner to be there, but is it absolutely, positively a requirement?

DieselMann99

Veteran Member
TDI
Pretty sure you need to be there...
Just like buying a house, there is a stack of papers by to sign...

House closings are done all the time when the Seller is not present.

Doesn't seem to be any logical reason why I can't sign the documents and then overnight or scan/email them to the VW dealer.

roadlust

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 golf gl reflex silver (sold) 2013 TDI 2 door Golf Blue Graphite Metallic 6MT Premium Package.
I recall someone not being able to complete the buy back without the co-owner being present which suggest it can't happen without the owner being present.

scooperhsd

Top Post Dawg
TDI
NB, 2000, RED(5 Speed conversion) 2015 Golf SE
You could probably get a limited power of attorney to get someone else to handle this for you.

Lincoln

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SE 6 Speed MT
I remember from mine that it could be done with a Power of Attorney (I considered it so my wife wouldn't ALSO need to be there). Easiest thing is just to call the dealer - maybe you could even sign early, so long as the car passes inspection the day of the BB.

DieselMann99

Veteran Member
TDI
maybe you could even sign early, so long as the car passes inspection the day of the BB.

That's what I was thinking. They can send me the documents, I can sign everything, undated, and return it to them, and then they'll have everything they need on inspection day. No reason why it can't be done, but whether they're willing to do it is another question.

I think you're right -- I'll call the dealer and ask.

Lightflyer1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Beetle tdi dsg
Anything done outside the normal expected channels will probably cause you problems or a rejection. If anything has been learned it is that this is true. Reading from the stories here those that didn't follow the expected norms are mostly the ones that have had troubles. Their flow isn't designed to handle anything outside what they expect. But give it a shot, all they can do is say no.

duratitus

Veteran Member
TDI
Several different models. Selling them back to VW
There is a process for selling a car back with a power of attorney, but you have to restart the entire claim with that power of attorney.
You can't just switch to a power of attorney when you go in for the appointment.

You could call VW to get the details.

TDIforDays

Veteran Member
TDI
few of each 2.0 and 3.0
Why do you ALWAYS try to make things complicated? Geez

OWNER MUST BE PRESENT at appointment. You MUST accept their offer and go through all the legal steps of selling them the car.

You CAN get a POA for another person - this needed to be done during initial document submission. If you do it now, it will kick your claim back to step 15 and you have to start over.

Why dont you also ask VW to come to your house and pick up the car?

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat SEL, 2017 Alltrack SE; BB 2010 Sedan Man; 2012 Passat,
We did have our local dealer state they'd hold on to our Buyback on their lot until our appointment was made. This was when we were buying our '15 Passat and already had our Alltrack but still had our '10 jetta as well as our '12 Passat. But my understanding was that we'd still need to show back up the day of the appointment to sign final papers.

We decided to keep the old cars run as many miles on them as possible and keep the new cars in the garage, we had the parking space to accommodate the extra VW's.