MK3 Bose System really worth it?

jhax

Veteran Member
TDI
96 Passat B4V, ALH engine out of a 2002 Jetta, some IE Rods and ASV Pistons. Nothing drivable yet though
Good Morning,

I have acquired from the junk yard the bose system from a mk3. I am trying to justify whether or not I should keep it. I have heard mixed reviews about the system. At this point I only have the in-dash tweeters and two 6.5" door speakers. I understand that the output for the Panasonic stereo is 2 ohms per speaker. And I haven't heard good reviews about the stereo in the first place. I would like to be able to use an early mk4 clarion unit (4 ohm output). However, the bose speakers are rated at 2 ohms. I'm thinking the clarion 4 ohm stereo with the bose amplifier and the 2 ohm speakers would blow up the speakers. I would have to run extra wires to the second set of tweeters in the dash. It all just seems like a pain in the butt. Any input or justification would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Justin

Nevada_TDI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Jetta TDI
When connecting speakers in parallel the formula to use is (R1 x R2)/(R1 + R2).
If your speakers are 2 ohms each and you parallel them when connecting the amplifier, what you get is (2 x 2) divided by (2 + 2) so 4/4 equals 1 ohm at the amplifier. If you connect your speakers in series then the resistance just adds together; where 2+2 equals 4 ohms.

jhax

Veteran Member
TDI
96 Passat B4V, ALH engine out of a 2002 Jetta, some IE Rods and ASV Pistons. Nothing drivable yet though
That sounds like a lot more work than I want to do. I was hoping to just be able to wire everything up the same as it was in the jetta while retaining my original door speaker connections, here is the wiring diagram for said system. if I wire these in series I essentially would remove the wires from 25 and 26 and combine them with wires going into pins 1 and 2 in the amplifier? Or that cut the ohms in half (ie wiring in parallel)? Series would be removing the wire at 25, connecting that wire to the left rear woofer and removing the wire from pin 2 altogether. Or If I just want to get rid of the amp altogether,